Do we hate cars?

huhenio said:
Dont get me started

This is baby stuff, but if you want to see witness a real fight go over to the RIP ZAPPER thread.
No one is singing Kum Ba Yah over there.

jhuskey said:
This is baby stuff, but if you want to see witness a real fight go over to the RIP ZAPPER thread.
Heheheh.:D

jhuskey said:
oh, you're all too late...the fun is over....!!!!

BimmsAndBices said:
In my own defense, I say I'm a good driver not because my record is clean, but because my front wheels are the same color as my rear wheels (no hard braking), I stay 3 car lenghts behind motorcycles and cyclists, use my signals ALWAYS, and stay within the speed limit in my massive 2900 pound vehicle.

Let me compare ... I'm a good driver ... front wheels are usually covered in brake dust (but they do have 8 piston calipers). I overtake cyclists when it is safe to do so. I give them a wide berth and never use my horn (the part I hate the most as a cyclist). I always use my signals too but I can't say i stay within the speed limit all the time in my massive 4050 lb vehicle.

Love cars, love bikes ... I have a few of each.

BimmsAndBices said:
The Bimms is for BMW, my first and primary love/obsesion. (car guy) I hate unyeilding SUV hags as much as anyone here, and, I am among the small percentage of Americans who know how to drive properly. Is there an exception for the good drivers who respect 2 wheelers or do the anti-car folk hate cars PERIOD? jest wonderin
we need cars but when we're on our bikes, the car is the enemy. that's the way it has to be - always anticipate and expect the unexpected.

It is more just that cyclists have a better sense of balance - pun intended. There really are too many cars in the world (and they really do stink - have you noticed?). Cyclists tend to resent it when fat, lazy people who drive too much stick their heads up their $%#$ when the topic of conversation turns to the coming oil crisis, or the obesity crisis, or the air pollution crisis, or health crisis, or sub-urbanisation crisis, public transport crisis - you name the crisis and we could probably scientifically quantify the part cars have played in it. But they don't want to hear it. Worse, in some backward countries, a few of these fat, lazy ignorant people actually like to ridicule, intimidate and in some cases outright murder those who actually try to take some individual action on these problems (riding a bike, living close to work and amenities, not taking the kids across town every weekend). What is worse still, police and courts in such countries tend not to prosecute these fat lazy murderous people. Yea - I guess I hate cars.

On a more sober note, my experience is that rates of hatred for cars and their drivers among cyclists tends to differ greatly depending on the country. In many countries (Japan, Singapore, most of Europe etc) where drivers tend to be polite to cyclists and pedestrians, and the police and courts enforce the law strongly against drivers who are not - in these places cyclists can and do go about their lives without giving too much thought to cars at all.

By the way, have you heard about how Seoul tore down one of its highways last year? See: www.itdp.org. Amazing story. They are planning more, and Tokyo is now considering doing a similar thing in Nihonbashi.

I don't hate cars. I definitely prefer my bicycle though. I dislike the idea that people mindlessly get in their car for every trip, no matter how short the distance. I dislike the inordinate subsidies given to this form of transportation, and the political process that maintains them, and keeps gas prices so low.

I don't hate cars or their drivers, I just hate some drivers mindsets that we shouldn't be riding our bikes on the road and it's their duty to get us off the road.

I don't hate cars. Some of my best friends are cars.

But I wouldn't want my sister to marry one...

Cars are, unfortunately, a necessary evil for many of us. :(

And, unfortunately, I must disabuse some of you who think that Europe is a big, happy, pro-cycling continent. I ride in Rome, Italy, and the areas around it are choked with traffic and increasingly inconsiderate drivers. :mad:

The only cyclists that people accept are hard core riders. There is virtually no culture (in central/southern Italy at least) of using bikes for commuting or work, and you are considered a weirdo/****/psycho hose beast if you do not salivate to drive your car to the corner store. :mad:

I have to jump hoops just to be able to find one of the few cycling paths completely blocked off to traffic to take my daughters there to learn to ride and enjoy cycling. I have actually moved to be closer to this area...

Oh well, had to get that off my chest. :eek:

MountainPro said:
i dunno, she could do a lot worse that to marry a nice car...at least cars are giving and loving...

Yeah they give out carbon monoxide, what red blooded lass would not want a good dose of that :rolleyes:

Cyclist14 said:
I don't hate cars or their drivers, I just hate some drivers mindsets that we shouldn't be riding our bikes on the road and it's their duty to get us off the road.
I hear this all the time, the last time being at the local pub for lunch. I walked in with my bike and this woman (about 350lbs) says "Oh look....another one." It took all I could not to start an argument on the spot. She immmediately started to spout off about how I don't belong on the roads, getting in her way and such. The show ended when one of the other patrons said.."well look at you....you take up so much space, someone is ALWAYS going to be in YOUR way." She turned beet red and left right then...her burger half eaten on the bar.

Cha-ching!!!

I wish I had said that.

Cheers,

Brian

Treky said:
Yeah they give out carbon monoxide, what red blooded lass would not want a good dose of that :rolleyes:
ever driven a high performance sports car?

something that can go from 0 to over 100 km/h in less than 5 secs?

MountainPro said:
ever driven a high performance sports car?

something that can go from 0 to over 100 km/h in less than 5 secs?

My daily driver will do it in 5.8 seconds. I test drove one that will do 60mph in less than 5 seconds :D

I do not get the point the though :confused: We were talking metaphoricaly, I just reminded that the suiter has a chronic gas problem :D

baj32161 said:
I hear this all the time, the last time being at the local pub for lunch. I walked in with my bike and this woman (about 350lbs) says "Oh look....another one." It took all I could not to start an argument on the spot. She immmediately started to spout off about how I don't belong on the roads, getting in her way and such. The show ended when one of the other patrons said.."well look at you....you take up so much space, someone is ALWAYS going to be in YOUR way." She turned beet red and left right then...her burger half eaten on the bar.

Cha-ching!!!

I wish I had said that.

Cheers,

Brian
Yeah, Awesome, She got OWNED.

Cyclist14 said:
Yeah, Awesome, She got OWNED.
It was truly a sight to behold...her wobbling out all red faced. Everyone had a good laugh after she left.

Cheers,

Brian

Alrighty, I love humiliating boors too. Very funny.

But to get back to the question... suppose you were a clever chemist, and came up with a wonder substance that wrecks a gasoline engine even in microscopically small amounts.

Would you apply it to the delivery nozzles at the gas station after you had filled your own jalopy?

This is hypothetical of course.

In answering the original question. I do not hate cars. What I hate is a lousy inattentive or aggressive driver. Hating cars is silly. For those of you that hate cars, and own one....you have issues.