Do we know if Virenque was wearing a helmet?

Mark wrote:
> <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> >I have been unable to find a source that says one way or another.

> who cares? cyclingnews reports he fell face first and suffered facial
> injuries and a broken nose

It was the first question my kids asked. It seems a reasonable thing
to wonder about. Even if you land face first, you can roll and bounce
on your head after the surface does it's job to the soft flesh in the
front of your face. A skid mark photo of a helmet would be an
educational device. "Seven time polka dot wearer gets facial injuries
in crash, but Clonk-o-matic saves his brain"

And if he wasn't wearing a helmet, that's news of its own, depending on
how you feel about using Virenque as a role model.

-dB

[email protected] wrote:

> And if he wasn't wearing a helmet, that's news of its own, depending on
> how you feel about using Virenque as a role model.

That's almost funny. Using Virenque as a role model that is.

"I may be a doper but I never leave home without my helmet." Great
line.

On 14 Aug 2006 08:49:39 -0700, [email protected] wrote:

>I have been unable to find a source that says one way or another.

What does it matter? If he was, he's alive because he was wearing
one. If he wasn't, he's alive in spite of not wearing one. Simple.

JT

****************************
Remove "remove" to reply
Visit http://www.jt10000.com
****************************

On 14 Aug 2006 13:52:45 -0700, [email protected] wrote:

>And if he wasn't wearing a helmet, that's news of its own, depending on
>how you feel about using Virenque as a role model.

Role model for what?

JT

****************************
Remove "remove" to reply
Visit http://www.jt10000.com
****************************

John Forrest Tomlinson wrote:
> On 14 Aug 2006 08:49:39 -0700, [email protected] wrote:
>
> >I have been unable to find a source that says one way or another.

> What does it matter? If he was, he's alive because he was wearing
> one. If he wasn't, he's alive in spite of not wearing one. Simple.
>
> JT
>
> ****************************
> Remove "remove" to reply
> Visit http://www.jt10000.com
> ****************************

Your second contention is true. If he wasn't wearing a helmet, he's
alive regardless.

Your first, that if he was wearing one, he's alive because he did, is
not. You can not say he's alive because he was wearing a helmet. You
CAN say that he did not die. Period.

Scott wrote:
> John Forrest Tomlinson wrote:
>
>>On 14 Aug 2006 08:49:39 -0700, [email protected] wrote:
>>

>>>I have been unable to find a source that says one way or another.

>>What does it matter? If he was, he's alive because he was wearing
>>one. If he wasn't, he's alive in spite of not wearing one. Simple.
>>
>>JT
>>
>>****************************
>>Remove "remove" to reply
>>Visit http://www.jt10000.com
>>****************************

> Your second contention is true. If he wasn't wearing a helmet, he's
> alive regardless.
>
> Your first, that if he was wearing one, he's alive because he did, is
> not. You can not say he's alive because he was wearing a helmet. You
> CAN say that he did not die. Period.

should i wear a helmet when doing this?
http://home.comcast.net/~pomeroyq/ouch.gif

(ps. reply urgently needed asap)

John Forrest Tomlinson wrote:
> On 14 Aug 2006 13:52:45 -0700, [email protected] wrote:
>
> >And if he wasn't wearing a helmet, that's news of its own, depending on
> >how you feel about using Virenque as a role model.

> Role model for what?
>
> JT
>
> ****************************
> Remove "remove" to reply
> Visit http://www.jt10000.com
> ****************************

Roll models are usually reserved for crash test dummies, but if you
wish to use a Frenchman for it, that's OK by me.

[email protected] wrote:
> I have been unable to find a source that says one way or another.
>
> thanks,
>
> -dB

I was recently sideswiped by a trailer being pulled behind a pickup
truck and knocked off my bike at low speed. In relating the tale to
coworkers, relatives, etc., I've been asked about twenty times whether
I was wearing a helmet. Not a single person has asked me if I hit my
head.

On 8/14/06 5:10 PM, in article [email protected],
"h squared" <[email protected]> wrote:

> Scott wrote:
>> John Forrest Tomlinson wrote:

>>> What does it matter? If he was, he's alive because he was wearing
>>> one. If he wasn't, he's alive in spite of not wearing one. Simple.
>>>
>>> JT
>>>
>>> ****************************
>>> Remove "remove" to reply
>>> Visit http://www.jt10000.com
>>> ****************************

>> Your second contention is true. If he wasn't wearing a helmet, he's
>> alive regardless.
>>
>> Your first, that if he was wearing one, he's alive because he did, is
>> not. You can not say he's alive because he was wearing a helmet. You
>> CAN say that he did not die. Period.
>>

> should i wear a helmet when doing this?
> http://home.comcast.net/~pomeroyq/ouch.gif
>
> (ps. reply urgently needed asap)

Heather,
I like this one better!

http://socalcycling.com/forum/profile.php?mode=viewprofile&u=104

Mike Kaiser wrote:
> [email protected] wrote:
> > I have been unable to find a source that says one way or another.
> >
> > thanks,
> >
> > -dB

> I was recently sideswiped by a trailer being pulled behind a pickup
> truck and knocked off my bike at low speed. In relating the tale to
> coworkers, relatives, etc., I've been asked about twenty times whether
> I was wearing a helmet. Not a single person has asked me if I hit my
> head.

Good point. Did you? Would you know? The last time I slipped in
the wet and fell sideways, I know my shoulder hit the ground from the
pain, blood, and the scrape in the jersey, but I have no idea if any
part of my head also touched ground.

-dB

[email protected] wrote:
> Mike Kaiser wrote:
> > [email protected] wrote:
> > > I have been unable to find a source that says one way or another.

> > I was recently sideswiped by a trailer being pulled behind a pickup
> > truck and knocked off my bike at low speed. In relating the tale to
> > coworkers, relatives, etc., I've been asked about twenty times whether
> > I was wearing a helmet. Not a single person has asked me if I hit my
> > head.

> Good point. Did you? Would you know? The last time I slipped in
> the wet and fell sideways, I know my shoulder hit the ground from the
> pain, blood, and the scrape in the jersey, but I have no idea if any
> part of my head also touched ground.

If you whack your head, you'll know. Helmet or no helmet.
They are impact mitigators, not a get-out-of-pain-free card.

"Was he wearing a helmet?" is guaranteed flame war
territory, even when the injury is to a helmet-covered
area, and more so if not. As set out by the Treaty of
Guadeloupe Hidalgo, helmet flame wars belong in
rec.bicycles.tech, not rbr. Thank you for your attention
in this matter.

Ben
rbr Blue Helmet Peacekeepers

In article
<[email protected]>,
"Mike Kaiser" <[email protected]> wrote:

> [email protected] wrote:
> > I have been unable to find a source that says one way or another.
> >
> > thanks,

> I was recently sideswiped by a trailer being pulled behind a pickup
> truck and knocked off my bike at low speed. In relating the tale to
> coworkers, relatives, etc., I've been asked about twenty times whether
> I was wearing a helmet. Not a single person has asked me if I hit my
> head.

I'm sorry you were struck, and sorry you were treated
heartlessly. You may find that the healing process is
accelerated if you increase the distance and lower the
temperature of those relationships.

--
Michael Press

CowPunk wrote:
> Roll models are usually reserved for crash test dummies, but if you
> wish to use a Frenchman for it, that's OK by me.

Dumbass,
They're more likely to use up rbr posters before they use any frenchman.

[email protected] wrote:
> Mike Kaiser wrote:
> > [email protected] wrote:
> > > I have been unable to find a source that says one way or another.

> > I was recently sideswiped by a trailer being pulled behind a pickup
> > truck and knocked off my bike at low speed. In relating the tale to
> > coworkers, relatives, etc., I've been asked about twenty times whether
> > I was wearing a helmet. Not a single person has asked me if I hit my
> > head.

> Good point. Did you? Would you know? The last time I slipped in
> the wet and fell sideways, I know my shoulder hit the ground from the
> pain, blood, and the scrape in the jersey, but I have no idea if any
> part of my head also touched ground.

If you whack your head, you'll know. Helmet or no helmet.
They are impact mitigators, not a get-out-of-pain-free card.

"Was he wearing a helmet?" is guaranteed flame war
territory, even when the injury is to a helmet-covered
area, and more so if not. As set out by the Treaty of
Guadeloupe Hidalgo, helmet flame wars belong in
rec.bicycles.tech, not rbr. Thank you for your attention
in this matter.

Ben
rbr Blue Helmet Peacekeepers

But for the narrowly focussed issue on the nogin attire of a preeminant retired racer, rbr is an appropriate location.

> On 14 Aug 2006 13:52:45 -0700, [email protected] wrote:
>
>>And if he wasn't wearing a helmet, that's news of its own, depending on
>>how you feel about using Virenque as a role model.

> Role model for what?

Oh, he just misspelled roll model (as in "Even if you land face first, you
can roll ")

in message <[email protected]>, h squared
('[email protected]') wrote:

> Scott wrote:
>> John Forrest Tomlinson wrote:

>>>What does it matter? If he was, he's alive because he was wearing
>>>one. If he wasn't, he's alive in spite of not wearing one. Simple.
>>>
>>>JT
>>>
>>>****************************
>>>Remove "remove" to reply
>>>Visit http://www.jt10000.com
>>>****************************

>> Your second contention is true. If he wasn't wearing a helmet, he's
>> alive regardless.
>>
>> Your first, that if he was wearing one, he's alive because he did, is
>> not. You can not say he's alive because he was wearing a helmet. You
>> CAN say that he did not die. Period.
>>

> should i wear a helmet when doing this?
> http://home.comcast.net/~pomeroyq/ouch.gif

Yes. Far more people die of accidents in their own homes than die in
bicycle accidents. And a bicycle helmet is perfectly engineered to deal
with the sort of impact you sustain if you fall out of bed.

No humour was expended in the creation of this post.

;; So, before proceeding with definitive screwing, choose the
;; position most congenital.
-- instructions for fitting bicycle handlebars

Simon Brooke wrote:

> And a bicycle helmet is perfectly engineered to deal
> with the sort of impact you sustain if you fall out of bed.

see, the problem for me with what you wrote isn't that i don't believe
you, it's that according to some on rbr, i am way way more likely to be
falling into bed than out of bed.

> No humour was expended in the creation of this post.

Thank God! There's a humor shortage after all, and we all need to
conserve when we can.

Serious Heather