Do We Need Something Extra?

Sunflogun

Apr 20, 2015
Riding the bike, depending on the distance we ride, can really be demanding to our body. In this case do you think supplements are really necessary or with just proper training and nutrition we can achieve maximum (or desired :)) performance?

I think just proper diet with the required nutrients will suffice. Having a well balanced meal with proper nutrients will enable your body to be healthy and fit. Only takes supplements when preparing for a contest or when you feel a craving for something.

Proper diet is something really relative because I do eat my fair share of vegetables and fruits, but sometimes I feel it's not enough. What does selenium does Weatherby?

You always need a good diet no matter what. You talk to one dietitian he'll say one thing, then you talk to the next he'll have different recommendations. But it's all said and done, and when you get to the core of any physical activity, there is no substitute for hard work and determination. Simple as that.

Yeah most supplements and things are really only useful if you are specifically deficient in them. If you work out a lot more total intake is generally needed but I'd think general dietary advice would apply here. (Eat your veggies, balanced diet and all that)

I think it depends on how much and how often you ride. If your muscles ache a lot after taking out your bike, it might be a great relief to take some extra minerals and vitamins to help you adjust. But, in essence, I don't think that you need much extra. A healthy diet will get you anywhere you want to go, if you don't overdo it. My main concern is always the amount and quality of water that I consume on long rides. I can't always get spring water, but need to contend with boiled tap water.

Dora M said:
I think it depends on how much and how often you ride. If your muscles ache a lot after taking out your bike, it might be a great relief to take some extra minerals and vitamins to help you adjust. But, in essence, I don't think that you need much extra. A healthy diet will get you anywhere you want to go, if you don't overdo it. My main concern is always the amount and quality of water that I consume on long rides. I can't always get spring water, but need to contend with boiled tap water.
Can you bring a filtration device on rides? Iodine tablets? Is water generally not potable in Columbia? I have not been, sorry for such a basic question.

Some supplements can give you a boost during the ride, but you don't necessarily need them before and after rides. As long as you remain properly hydrated and with the right electrolyte levels during a ride, then you'll be fine, assuming your body is up to the challenge.

I also feel that gavin, I mean, if we are making an extra effort during the ride sure, we can take them, but in between rides we can let the body rest and don't give it too many things.

I think natural foods are sufficient as long as the amount of nutrition is monitored and depending on the heaviness of your training, you consume enough nutrients to repair those torn muscles and improve your overall fitness. Thus said, people who find it hard to consume all of those nutrients naturally can take supplements and personally I have nothing against it. Supplements can be good also for people who do not want to calculate or monitor the amount of nutrients everyday before training.

Eventually things start to be different from a certain age on. When I was younger I just took my water and I could cycle for hours, only after my 30's I started to notice that the body didn't respond the same way.