Do we need to grease the hub?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by novetan, Mar 25, 2014.

1. novetan

novetan New Member

I have a set of Campagnolo Eurus wheel. One day I stepped into a bike shop without the need to buy anything and the salesman enquire what wheel set I’m using. And he started talking about the hub, ceramic bearing, bla bla, and eventually told me at least once a year I need to send in my wheels for maintainence to pump in new grease.

What! That is something new to me. I’d have thought the hub are completely sealed, water proof and no renewal of grease needed.

Care to advise please.

Tags:

2. Froze

Froze Well-Known Member

You should be able to do this yourself, I watched this video before I posted it for you and it looks really easy; see: http://www.campagnolo.com/jsp/en/servicevideo/videocatid_4_videoid_18.jsp

3. urge2kill

urge2kill Member

Freewheel or cassette?

4. 531Aussie

531Aussie Well-Known Member

yes, the last time I checked, Euruseses have accessible bearings (as opposed to sealed-ish cartridges) which should be periodically greased.
    However, I'm not sure about the new ones.

There are stacks of groovy Youtube videos like this

Campag hub over-hall

[​IMG]

5. dhk2

dhk2 Active Member

I don't own Campy wheels, but their website tech page says to have a "specialized mechanic" check the Eurus hubs every 2000-5000 kms for "lubrication, rolling, and clearance of the hubs". Doesn't say anything about disassembly or repacking of anything on a routine basis.

Suppose you could bring them to the "specialized mechanic" at your shop every year for this check, but I wouldn't want them to do any expensive service work that isn't needed. As long as the hubs feel "like new" to me, I'd continue to use them. Unnecessary maintenance is a great way to cause problems and shorten the life of any component.

6. CAMPYBOB

CAMPYBOB Well-Known Member

...and to think we used to repack our Campy hubs with a pair of cone wrenches in 10 minutes.

7. novetan

novetan New Member

My question was "do we need to renew the grease". The video titled "hub overhaul." Doesn't show us which part need degreasing and greasing.

Anyway. it does seems many parts need dismantling. I wouldn't dare to mess it up.

A technically inclined friend of mine told me once. We don't ever need to grease the hub of a domestic fan. Why? Because it is completely seal. Granted our bike hub is completely sealed. But I do think the vircosity or whatever it may be will loose its "freshness or quality" overtime. Isn't it?

8. novetan

novetan New Member

Your point quite valid. Why fix it if its not broke. But than again "feeling" is quite subjective.

9. danfoz

danfoz Well-Known Member

If he didn't ask about your mileage or typical weather conditions ridden in, his suggestion would reek of bullshit. And anytime some "expert" starts talking about ceramic bearings this that and the other the rest of what they say quickly becomes suspect imo. Any moving part needs servicing at some point but it should be based on usage not time, that is not unless the bike has been sitting dormant in a barn for several years.

10. 531Aussie

531Aussie Well-Known Member

Hmm, i'd say it'd be the bearings that could best use the grease. :) Just stirrin [​IMG]

That's a fair point about the electric fan, however, stuff like that does eventually break down, and electric fans don't often go out in the rain, :)

11. CAMPYBOB

Quote by novetan:
    "My question was "do we need to renew the grease"."

Yes. Grease becomes contaminated by dirt and moisture over time and use. It also degrades and breaks down. The question is, "How often should I re-pack my hubs?". I would suggest no more than a two-year service interval.

Hubs that receive zero use can still have the grease dry out in a few months of very hot storage conditions.

"The video titled "hub overhaul." Doesn't show us which part need degreasing and greasing."

The bearings. Cups, cones, balls / rollers, cages and seals. Freehub cassette pawls and ratchet surface (very light lithium grease is my choice for that area).

"Anyway. it does seems many parts need dismantling. I wouldn't dare to mess it up."

The actual hub bearings should be removed and once the axle is pulled and seals removed, they simply drop out. The cage installs in only one direction and only a complete moron could mess it up.

The inner roller/needle bearing could be serviced in place While you are in there it is only a little more difficult to press out the shell, thoroughly flush and clean the bearing, then press back in place. However, this does require investing a significant amount of money in dedicated tooling and yields no better repacking results.

Personally, I am of the opinion that anything pressed into an aluminum housing (the hub shell in this case) should never be pressed out unless absolutely necessary...clean and repack in place if possible. Remove the bearing only if replacement is required IMO.

12. CAMPYBOB

Odd. My old 20" box fan...the one that I use in front of my rollers and fluid trainer...was starting slowly. It was spinning up with noticeable drag.

I pulled the grills, pulled the fan blade off the motor shaft and used 5-30 synthetic on both bearings and lubricated the 3-speed/off switch as well.

It now starts and runs like the day it left the factory.

13. novetan

novetan New Member

Thks for the detail replies. Thumbs Up.