Do we take this seriously? All fun and games in the Astana camp!

RdBiker said:
I was very surprised to see a country like Kazakhstan (or major industry players in there) begin sponsoring a cycling team whose budget is at least 12 mil. Vino surely played a large role acquiring the sponsors. I think that besides Vino and Kashechkin the only thing for the sponsors was/is that Astana functioned as a stepping stone for young Kazakh riders. Other than that I don't see any reasons.

Agreed : amateur cycling in Kazakhstan had a following before Vino started to gain international success.
If Astana wasn't set up to bring those amateurs through to the professional ranks, one would wonder why Astana was setup in the first place?

limerickman said:
Agreed : amateur cycling in Kazakhstan had a following before Vino started to gain international success.
If Astana wasn't set up to bring those amateurs through to the professional ranks, one would wonder why Astana was setup in the first place?
Btw, has Astana brought up any of the Kazakh amateurs? After Vino and Kash it has been pretty quiet. I've read Kazakh names on the Astana rosters for races under the top riders like Contador, Leipheimer and etc. but are there any promising youngsters on Astana?

RdBiker said:
Btw, has Astana brought up any of the Kazakh amateurs? After Vino and Kash it has been pretty quiet. I've read Kazakh names on the Astana rosters for races under the top riders like Contador, Leipheimer and etc. but are there any promising youngsters on Astana?

Cycle Sport in 2005 did a feature on Kazakhstan and it's cycling structures.

According to that article - there is a huge following in the amateur ranks, for the sport.
Vino and Kivilev were cited as being role models and their successes had helped to spread the popularity.

For all of that, I can't recall any Kazakh amateurs that have come through to the pro ranks.

limerickman said:
Thanks Rolf.

So it does seem that the price of a barrel of oil has affected the funds at Astana.

It will be interesting to see how this scenario plays out : the lesser lights at
Astana must be putting feelers out, if there is this amount of finanical uncertainty?
That must surely affect how Astana may perform??
wwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww