do yall ride trails or rode

kingoftheroads

Feb 13, 2004
Hey i was wondiring about these mountain bike people. I have a mountain bike but i really dont ride it on trails. i am a begginer cyclist. Does anybody have some moutain bike road tires on their bike. that is what i have, because i am a begginer. Well please tell do you have road or mountain bike tires on your bike.

I use my mountain bike mainly for offroad trails, as I've got a separate road bike for on-road riding. I most often use a set of cross country knobby tyres, but also have a set of mountain bike semi-slicks to use when riding with friends who aren't as addicted to cycling ;)

Equipped with a decent set of slicks, a mountain bike is pretty good for riding on the road. Not quite as efficient as a road bike, but as it's not the Tour de France, it doesn't matter much.

They do make a significant difference compared to using knobby tyres on the road. There are a number of different slicks by a lot of tyre manufacturers, the key thing is that they should be 26-inch tyres (ISO 559mm)

Yeah i got some 26 inch tires. my step dad is a cyclists so he like knows what to buy. He is like pro to.

i use a set of "hardrocker" tires by specialized on my bike F&R they are perty sticky on the road havent gotten a chance to take them off road yet (all the trails are coverd in snow still) but i belive they will do just fine

I was debating between them and WTB wierwolf or veloci-rapter tires

in lamans terms nobby with a SLIGHTLY broken center line (i have to ride the roads before i can get to the off road section)

I use a road bike for road riding. My mountain bikes are completely dedicated to trail use. Whenever I use my mountain bikes on road though, I don't even bother taking the knobbies off. Its a waste of time, I will be about as fast of them as slicks. They make more noise, thats it. If I'm really worried about making good time I'd be on the road bike anyway ;)

As has been said, I have off road tires on my bike, because it is an off road bike, and I ride it off road. If I was going to ride on roads, i would get a road bike, and have road tires in it. I also don't use a screw driver to hammer in nails, I use a hammer.

And for those who wonder, I have WTB tires on my klein. They have a shallow tread so they wear kinda quick, but damn they get the best traction of any tire I've ever ridden. They are amazing, I climb stuff I've never been able to climb before with them, solely based on traction!

I use the offroad knoby IRC tires that came on my bikes. Since I ride on steep, windy singletrack trails, I gotta have traction. My favorite tire is the WTB Velociraptor tire. It's got great directional tread on the front, and a good digging tire on the back.

All i know the knobbies do not go as fast as the mountain bike road tires. My step dad is a pro cyclists and he does both stuff road and mountain. So i would think he would know. So those of you who think it dosent matters than just shut up and quit thinking that you are the best of riding cause u aint.

Originally posted by kingoftheroads
All i know the knobbies do not go as fast as the mountain bike road tires. My step dad is a pro cyclists and he does both stuff road and mountain. So i would think he would know. So those of you who think it dosent matters than just shut up and quit thinking that you are the best of riding cause u aint.

Of course not, you're dad knows best :rolleyes: Of course knobbies are not as fast as slicks, but your average rider will be more limited by his fitness level than his tires.

You know what? This is what I know.. I've been Mt. Biking for 16 years now and I've been riding with some of the best too. They may not be official pros, but they know what the hell they're talking about. I don't really care if your dad is a pro cyclist or not. Good for him. But his knowledge doesnt hold true for everyone. It all comes down to personal preference. If you like mountain road tires than that's fine. But don't critisize others on their opinion, and don't impress your father as being the best and know it all of the world. He may be pro, but he ain't the best in the world either. You as I understand it, are a begginer rider, and I would think, that I, having rode a bit longer, would know a thing or two myself. If you dad knows so much, than why did you bother asking here?

Originally posted by ManitouSHX
You know what? This is what I know.. I've been Mt. Biking for 16 years now and I've been riding with some of the best too. They may not be official pros, but they know what the hell they're talking about. I don't really care if your dad is a pro cyclist or not. Good for him. But his knowledge doesnt hold true for everyone. It all comes down to personal preference. If you like mountain road tires than that's fine. But don't critisize others on their opinion, and don't impress your father as being the best and know it all of the world. He may be pro, but he ain't the best in the world either. You as I understand it, are a begginer rider, and I would think, that I, having rode a bit longer, would know a thing or two myself. If you dad knows so much, than why did you bother asking here?

I doubt his dad is a pro-cyclist. I'm sure he's just another average enthusiast like half the people here, or a local racer. Its easy for a 12 year old kid to be impressed into believing that when he see's his dad all clad in his favorite team replica jerseys and shorts when he goes out to ride.

Originally posted by Hecubus
I doubt his dad is a pro-cyclist. I'm sure he's just another average enthusiast like half the people here, or a local racer. Its easy for a 12 year old kid to be impressed into believing that when he see's his dad all clad in his favorite team replica jerseys and shorts when he goes out to ride.

Yeah, you're probably right. I should have taken that into consideration. It's easy to idolize parents as role models like that when you're younger. I went a little overboard there. But still, why ask for input, and then tell everybody to "shut up"? I mean, don't ask for opinion if you don't really want it.

yo yo yo y'all are just probaly making up. ok he might not be the best in the world. All i know he can probaly beat a person cycling for sixteen years. He has been doing it for ONLY TWO YEARS. I am the one that actually got him into it. He knows almost everything about it to. So y'all say i am making this up then you just come right back saying thay your the best when u dont say anything like that. All that really matters is that i know that i am telling the truth even if u dont belive me. So y'all think about that and think about god. come on.

yo yo yo y'all are just probaly making up. ok he might not be the best in the world. All i know he can probaly beat a person cycling for sixteen years. He has been doing it for ONLY TWO YEARS. I am the one that actually got him into it. He knows almost everything about it to. So y'all say i am making this up then you just come right back saying thay your the best when u dont say anything like that. All that really matters is that i know that i am telling the truth even if u dont belive me. So y'all think about that and think about god. come on.

That's right....keep telling yourself that if it make you feel better...

Oh brother.......:rolleyes:

Just shut up. If u think that u know everything then i give u props.
When u say nothing like your the best then u say ur the best when u think someone is better than u than that is just plain gay.
So if u have nothing nice to say then dont say anything at all. Dont say that i shouoldnt say anything because i have been nice saying stuff. Y'all are the ones that are jsut mad that someone knows more than u.

I am 14 to plus i have done the paris breast paris. I did it last year. I bet only 5 percent of y'all can do that. But u cant be 14 and do it so just shutup. I am 14 ok

What the hell is "paris breast paris"?
(Just incase if you'll think I'm stupid, see where I'm from.)