Do you actually mind when people ride on the path when you are a pedestrian?

Veater

May 28, 2016
So there have been lengthy discussions on here about why you shouldn't ride on the path and it seems we're all in agreement that it's something we shouldn't do as cyclists. Earlier, I was walking with my little family including my young daughter and a man cycled past us on the path. I remember thinking at the time, "Oh I can't believe he's cycling on the path" but not because it offended me, simply because it felt like I should believe it's the wrong thing to do. But when I actually thought about it, it didn't offend me at all. He moved to the side of the path so that we had plenty of space to pass, he was cycling casually and slowly so I didn't feel at any risk that he would fall off or lose control of his bike and ride into us, and in general, I felt we could both use the space of the sidewalk without either being put at a disadvantage.

So the question is, even if you don't think it's okay for you to ride a bike on the pavement, as a pedestrian does it actually offend you when someone does?

The town where I work is around 30 miles away from where I live. It has nearby mountain ranges and lakes and is quite the place for cyclist. In town, most ride on the sidewalk and i'd say most don't wear helmets. One of my co worker ides into work and rides on the sidewalk. I have a near blind family member who was nearly hit by a guy zooming buy on a road bike on the side walk. For most, it doesn't seem that threatening, but we have to remember the really young and elderly don't have the reflexes and evasion skills we do. Walking on a sidewalk, you shouldn't have to worry about cyclist.

Besides from the safety factor, here is my biggest issue with sidewalk cycling. It gives validation to the misinformed who believe sidewalks are for cyclist. When you get honked at for no reason from a distance away, chances are the ignorant driver thinks your suppose to be on the sidewalk.

Over here, there is actually a law against riders to use the sidewalk - motorcycles and bikes - because the sidewalk is what the name denotes... for walking. But there are riders who do that usually when the traffic is heavy. I had experienced being a pedestrian with those pesky 2-wheels on the sidewalk when I was in Ho Chi Minh, Vietnam last year. It seemed to me that the sidewalk is reserved for those 2-wheels because they even ride with temerity as if the pedestrians should be the one to avoid them. One Vietnamese said that it is part of their culture.

And me, offended? Not really because I was in a foreign land. But if they do it here on me, I would be yelling at them.

I do mind but I don't usually make it bother me unless they directly get into my way. I don't think it is right or legal in most places for cyclists to ride on the sidewalk/pavement. I have been hit in the past by a cyclist doing this and it infuriated me.

I don't mind if bikers use signals or their bell or whatever, and to let people know that they are crossing. I DO mind, however, if they just think that the road is theirs, and would have no regard for both the pedestrians and drivers on the road, and I have seen lots of these bikers, and they really give our kind a lot of unnecessary hate, because they think they can do whatever they want, are immune to the rules of the road, can cycle on the sidewalk and the street, and are free to do whatever they want.

That's true, I hadn't really considered the precedent it might set for drivers and cyclists alike. If one person has a free pass, then others might too. And drivers are often misinformed about where a cyclist should ride.

As a pedestrian I think it is not right for the cyclist to use the pavement just to avoid issues in the future. We tend to ignore certain things because they are not causing us harm or any inconvenience.

I do think that it is not a right thing to do because it can be annoying and dangerous to people and it brings anarchy into the system, but I personally don't mind it. Never has a cyclist made me go out of my way or made me feel inconvenient on the path. I also think people on the path are bigger problem for cyclists than the cyclists are for the people on the path, so I don't understand why would they use the pedestrian path anyway (except if they have no other option).

I don't mind, but a situation like that is reasonably prone for an accident to happen. Also is quite inconvenient for the riders to keep a pace when they have to hit the brakes whenever they spot a pedestian really close. That's even worse during hours of high traffic. For that reason, if there is not a bike lane, is just better to walk rather than ride.

So I was thinking about it again yesterday! As we were walking on the pathway, and there were a few children that rode past us on the pavement. One was young, probably about eight or nine, the other one was a bit older, a teenager. When my daughter starts to ride on her own, I don't know at which age children are supposed to start riding on the road? As if she's still wobbly on her bike, I want her on the pavement. Is there an age at which children shouldn't ride on the path? Or is it just a level of experience required? Or do you think children should always ride on the road, no matter their age?

Yes, I do mind, because it isn't safe. Where I live, there are quite decent roads for cyclists to ride on, and for this reason there is no need for them to ride on the pavement at all. I don't mind it when toddlers are on there, but as soon as the child is old enough they should be riding on the road (with helmet, of course). It just isn't safe for the people who are unable to jump out of the way quickly enough!

Personally I do not mind.

But I do think that it can be dangerous for other people on the path. Kids and elderly who does not know where to move when a cyclist is coming their way.

I always stop for a little so they can pass over me but many people get scared and jumpy about it.