Do you bother repairing flats?

LeDomestique said:
Glueless patches are only useful for quick fixes and to get you home (on 50 PSI). They are not a fix...they are a temporary patch.
I had a front tube for over two years that "collected" 3 self-stick patches without any hint of leakage, running pressures of 100-110 psi. Finally tossed out the tube when I bought a new set of tires just because it seemed shabby.

The Parktool patch kit I used comes with a small square of sandpaper for lightly scuffing the tube before applying the patch....maybe that step makes a difference.

I always patch my tubes (up to 3x) if it looks good, as did my dad when I was a kid and have never :) had a tube fail due to the patch. that said I tried a 3-pk of glueless patches once and they didn't last long at all (2 I couldn't even get to apply properly :eek: ) so it's regular patches for me. Saves $$, & a very little bit of help to our environment!!

I would if I could, I was rasied under the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it; if you can fix it don't buy a new one" mentality. We've pretty much always just gotten one of something - if that mocking bird didn't sing there was no diamond ring....

I guess if they're so cheap now, it's not so big a deal to just replace it.

A somewhat related side note/question: while I was riding to work today, as I rounded a corner into the parking lot the rear tire suddenly lost all its air. All of it. I fish-tailed and I was thinking "SWEET! **** SWEEET!! **** my tire THIS IS COOL...damn what the hell happened to my tire??" When I got home I pumped it back up and it seems to be holding pressure - any reason anyone can think of that it would have done that earlier today??

Patched my first tire with the cement this evening and waiting to see if it will hold. I also, 11 minutes into a ride ON MY TRAINER just now got a flat in from a nice piece of glass that apparently had been sitting in my rear wheel just waiting to strike.

So with the rubber cement stuff, I sand, then apply cement and wait until it's perfectly dry (takes a min or two I guess, but if I wanted to wait overnight, would it effectively be the same thing?) and then apply the patch and hold it tight for a minute. Now, do I need to ideally wait for it to cure overnight or can I use it right away--SHOULD I use it right away so that it will then fully cure under the correct stretching when put into the tire?

alienator said:
I even patch tubulars.

I don't get on well with consumption designed to make my life easy.
I agree with you about things designed to be consumed with 1 use - or replaced the 1st time something goes wrong - really bugs me.

I recently started riding tubulars when I bought my race wheels. I've been lucky enough not to have a tubular flat yet but when I do - I'd love to be able to repair the tubular rather than buyinh another, they're certainly not cheap. :(

I checked Park Tool but they didn't seem to offer instructions on repairing tubulars. Is there a site with a good description on how to repair tubulars?

Thanks,
Pad

padawan said:
I agree with you about things designed to be consumed with 1 use - or replaced the 1st time something goes wrong - really bugs me.

I recently started riding tubulars when I bought my race wheels. I've been lucky enough not to have a tubular flat yet but when I do - I'd love to be able to repair the tubular rather than buyinh another, they're certainly not cheap. :(

I checked Park Tool but they didn't seem to offer instructions on repairing tubulars. Is there a site with a good description on how to repair tubulars?

Thanks,
Pad

Here's one site.

Note that not all tubulars can be opened and repaired. Tufos can't, and some of the new Contis can't.

So glad about this thread. Those two patches are holding up perfectly, can't believe it!

Anyway, one I did apply the patch and let it dry for several hours before putting in the tube. THe other I just let it dry for a couple min and put it in and jacked it up. Does it really matter which way it's done?