Do you cough after a ride?

Iankatz

Nov 30, 2004
After a good ride (zone 3~4) do you cough after the ride is done? If so what does it mean?

Iankatz said:
After a good ride (zone 3~4) do you cough after the ride is done? If so what does it mean?

Don't believe it's normal to cough during or after a hard ride. If you just started doing hard efforts, perhaps you're coughing up crud in the lungs that's a symptom of a low-level cold or other lingering infection. If it persists for more than a couple of weeks, a doctor might be in order to check it out.

Usually after my first ride in awhile I cough. It subsides within a few hours and after my next ride, there is no cough.

If it happens frequently, might want to go to a doctor.

When the air is cool I cough a lot, I sound like I have a bad smokers cough for about an hour afterwards. I find it pretty annoying.

Cheesy said:
When the air is cool I cough a lot, I sound like I have a bad smokers cough for about an hour afterwards. I find it pretty annoying.
The coughing you experience could be very normal and is probably associated with your mucus being dried out from the cold dry air.

Iankatz said:

I get that after riding on some occassions, really flemmy and nasty. Spoke to my doc about it and said that it is possibly a symptom of sports induced ashma or just my lungs cleaning themselfs out. one of the downfalls of being a ex smoker.

xbgs351 said:
Yes. It's exercise induced asthma.
Honestly, there's just too little information presented to jump to this conclusion -- though it is certainly a possibility... One of several *possibilities* (empasis imperative!). Some mentioned already.

(1) Cold Air can induce coughing after exertion (dried mucous).

(2) Oncoming cold, bronchitis, etc., can show symptoms like this after exertion.

(3) A history of smoking is always a factor.

(4) Allergies, exacerbated by exertion stressing your lungs.

(5) Exercised induced asthma (EIA) is also a possibility, but this typically includes shortness of breath -- as (2), (3) and (4) above can also.

(6) Something inexplicable, but transient.

I have Reactive Airways Disease, and often experience exercise induced asthma. Coughing is only the first symptom for me. I *always* have some tightness in my chest / shortness of breath starting about a half hour after the the ride. I use albuterol to relieve the pressure, though only when the tightness / shortness of breath become bad enough to make me nervous (which further increases the symptoms).

Given the ride conditions, and duration of symptoms. You should probably decide for yourself and/or consult a physician if it persists.

It's important to note that symptoms are often different for each individual. Note that I didn't say I have "asthma," but reactive airways disease, due to the unsual circumstances of my symptoms.

Serevent (a long-acting bronchiodialator) is often prescribed to take prior to exertion in order to relieve EIA symptoms. I use this daily with flovent (a steroid), and they do indeed reduce my EIA symptoms.... though a really hard ride blows me out no matter what.

-Pie

I cough a little and my lungs, chest and throat hurt due to:

1 in winter time it is cold and dry.
2 in the spring and fall pollen is an issue.
3 in the dead of summer its humidity and ozone.

The coughing ususally passes an hour after the ride is done, but the throat and chest hurt for a couple days after a long or extremely hard ride.
I did go to a doctor and he told me it is athletic enduced asthma. I was perscribed an inhalor that I only use when sympthoms are really bad.

GIFF07 said:
I cough a little and my lungs, chest and throat hurt due to:

1 in winter time it is cold and dry.
2 in the spring and fall pollen is an issue.
3 in the dead of summer its humidity and ozone.

The coughing ususally passes an hour after the ride is done, but the throat and chest hurt for a couple days after a long or extremely hard ride.
I did go to a doctor and he told me it is athletic enduced asthma. I was perscribed an inhalor that I only use when sympthoms are really bad.
I have the same exact symptoms described by GIFF07 above. I tried a prescription inhaler, suggested by a doctor, for awhile but it didn't help. I have just learned to deal with it as it goes away after an hour or so.

It is a reaction to not warming up in the cold air before a hard cardio exertion. To protect itself, your mucous membranes produce more in the cold weather and this gets shifted to your throat where it causes the cough.(My theory anyhow)
If you ride around lightly and breathe easy at first then work into the level then it works fine. The longer the rides and the more the frequency of them the less the occurrence of the coughs

i always remember when David Millar was riding the TDF (ahhh the good ole days)...anyway the british reporters always stuck a microphone in his face immediately after crossing the line...the reporters were frequently besieged by an ocean of phlem from Millars lungs.

He always coughed hard after a race but he always said he is prone developing bronchitis during the tour...

you should never let a scottish lad ride a bike in temps above 15C its just not natural...:D

:D When I came back from Honduras to up state NY I had trouble withing coughing. The more I rode the better it got. Hondurse was at 2000 ft atl.
Mabe this helps I dont think it will if your ridding in the same area.:)

xbgs351 said:
Yes. It's exercise induced asthma.

Yep. I get it too after big efforts/cold weather. We called it "pursuiter's cough" and thought we were pretty clever.....:)

Good post, Pie.
EIA/EIB (exercise induced asthma/bronchiospasm) is far too often misdiagnosed. People end up going to the doctor because they cough after rides in the cold weather and after a quick 'check-up' the doctor hands over an inhaler without even doing pulmonary tests to rule out or determine if in fact it is EIA/EIB! It's SO annoying.

I just recently had a friend of mine complain about this same thing after rides in the cooler weather. She went for ONE visit to the doctor and she came home with an inhaler! It's crazy! :mad:

It's good to see posts like yours though to keep people informed. :D

EatingPie said:
Honestly, there's just too little information presented to jump to this conclusion -- though it is certainly a possibility... One of several *possibilities* (empasis imperative!). Some mentioned already.

(1) Cold Air can induce coughing after exertion (dried mucous).

(2) Oncoming cold, bronchitis, etc., can show symptoms like this after exertion.

(3) A history of smoking is always a factor.

(4) Allergies, exacerbated by exertion stressing your lungs.

(5) Exercised induced asthma (EIA) is also a possibility, but this typically includes shortness of breath -- as (2), (3) and (4) above can also.

(6) Something inexplicable, but transient.

I have Reactive Airways Disease, and often experience exercise induced asthma. Coughing is only the first symptom for me. I *always* have some tightness in my chest / shortness of breath starting about a half hour after the the ride. I use albuterol to relieve the pressure, though only when the tightness / shortness of breath become bad enough to make me nervous (which further increases the symptoms).

Given the ride conditions, and duration of symptoms. You should probably decide for yourself and/or consult a physician if it persists.

It's important to note that symptoms are often different for each individual. Note that I didn't say I have "asthma," but reactive airways disease, due to the unsual circumstances of my symptoms.

Serevent (a long-acting bronchiodialator) is often prescribed to take prior to exertion in order to relieve EIA symptoms. I use this daily with flovent (a steroid), and they do indeed reduce my EIA symptoms.... though a really hard ride blows me out no matter what.

-Pie

Orange Fish said:
Good post, Pie.
EIA/EIB (exercise induced asthma/bronchiospasm) is far too often misdiagnosed. People end up going to the doctor because they cough after rides in the cold weather and after a quick 'check-up' the doctor hands over an inhaler without even doing pulmonary tests to rule out or determine if in fact it is EIA/EIB! It's SO annoying.

I just recently had a friend of mine complain about this same thing after rides in the cooler weather. She went for ONE visit to the doctor and she came home with an inhaler! It's crazy! :mad:

It's good to see posts like yours though to keep people informed. :D

My doc did not even mention using a inhaler. He suggested that i just hack up the flem and i will be fine. He figured that for the vast majority of people that have this problem the worst thing you can do is give them a inhaler, only makes the problem worse

Iankatz said:

I have it happen to me if I don't warm up properly before really kicking in the heart rate. If I hit 90-95% heart rate before 15 minutes of warm up, I have it happen. But it only really starts if I stop moving.

I turned fourty this last year (just turned 41 a few days ago), and thought as a preventative measure I would take a stress test at our local hospital about 3 months ago. As hard as we tend to push our hearts, I thought I would have it checked by the pros. The good news is that in the history of our hospital, nobody has stayed on the treadmill "stress test" longer than I have. :) The gals doing the test were freaking shocked. I"M THE CHAMPION!!! ..lol... They finally said, look, we're running out of paper, clearly there is no problem here. I was holding 172 when they finally gave up and unplugged me. I think I could have gone another minute or two. I was still holding normal conversations with them at 145-150 pulse. That kind of freaked them out... ANYHOOO...

Long story short (to late) This whole test, from the time I got on, until I was holding 172+ happened in about 16 minutes, the last 4 were all 90+% mhr. They pulled the plug and let me just stand there like a moron, no cool down, nothing. I'd have appreciated about a 10 minute cool down, NOPE, just hop off, your done. I had the worst coughing I'd ever experienced. Lasted quite a while. Really bad for about 5 minutes, then drug on for an hour. I knew what it was from past performance...

Going to hard, to fast, with little or no warmup, and then not cooling down properly. But I've noticed that cooldowns are not as important (relative to coughing) if the excercise is a long period. If it's a HUGE short burst like my stress test, I'm gonna end up coughing.

Next time I take that stress test, I'm gonna bring a bike, some rollers, and spin for about 30 minutes, hit the test, and then spin to cool down. I don't care what they say, I know my body, and the way they pushed it was stressful, but I feel it could have been done better for me.

Good thread...

stormer94 said:
I have it happen to me if I don't warm up properly before really kicking in the heart rate. If I hit 90-95% heart rate before 15 minutes of warm up, I have it happen. But it only really starts if I stop moving.

I turned fourty this last year (just turned 41 a few days ago), and thought as a preventative measure I would take a stress test at our local hospital about 3 months ago. As hard as we tend to push our hearts, I thought I would have it checked by the pros. The good news is that in the history of our hospital, nobody has stayed on the treadmill "stress test" longer than I have. :) The gals doing the test were freaking shocked. I"M THE CHAMPION!!! ..lol... They finally said, look, we're running out of paper, clearly there is no problem here. I was holding 172 when they finally gave up and unplugged me. I think I could have gone another minute or two. I was still holding normal conversations with them at 145-150 pulse. That kind of freaked them out... ANYHOOO...

Long story short (to late) This whole test, from the time I got on, until I was holding 172+ happened in about 16 minutes, the last 4 were all 90+% mhr. They pulled the plug and let me just stand there like a moron, no cool down, nothing. I'd have appreciated about a 10 minute cool down, NOPE, just hop off, your done. I had the worst coughing I'd ever experienced. Lasted quite a while. Really bad for about 5 minutes, then drug on for an hour. I knew what it was from past performance...

Going to hard, to fast, with little or no warmup, and then not cooling down properly. But I've noticed that cooldowns are not as important (relative to coughing) if the excercise is a long period. If it's a HUGE short burst like my stress test, I'm gonna end up coughing.

Next time I take that stress test, I'm gonna bring a bike, some rollers, and spin for about 30 minutes, hit the test, and then spin to cool down. I don't care what they say, I know my body, and the way they pushed it was stressful, but I feel it could have been done better for me.

Good thread...
Too hard too fast is what happens in a criterium so Ventolin is the name of the game for me, EIA (exercise Induced asthma) is what causes me to wheeze and cough.

996vtwin said:
Too hard too fast is what happens in a criterium so Ventolin is the name of the game for me, EIA (exercise Induced asthma) is what causes me to wheeze and cough.
we have all burned our lungs from time to time but if the cough persists you might want to flat out quit

Eddy_B said:
we have all burned our lungs from time to time but if the cough persists you might want to flat out quit

Is that what it really boils down to, a quick burning of the lungs and you get a case of exercise induced asthma? Albeit temporary asthma.