Do You Crave A New Bike?

Uawadall

Jun 14, 2015
I'm new to cycling (less than 2 months), and I always hear people talk about wanting something newer and faster. Personally, I get attached to things and like to use them until they can't be used anymore. For example, I'm driving my first car that I've had for a year and a half and want to use it until it doesn't run(a 2003 subaru with 167,000 miles). Do you typically want the newest shiniest thing, or do you become comfortable with your current ride?

Reactions: haleylx4
It's natural to want or long for the newest thing but I feel pretty comfortable with my current bike.

It's everything I need in a bike and it has been on some adventures with me. I estimate I've done about 100 miles on it, and in those miles it's been down steep grass hills, through water filled potholes on an unmade gravel road, covered in mud from riding on wet dirty tracks, covered in dust from going on muddy tracks during really sunny weather and even out in the snow during a bad winter.

Yeah there's some nice stuff out and about but I'm completely happy with my bike, my workhorse, and I don't plan on changing it any time soon.

It isn't something I want and crave for constantly, but right now it is definitely a desire of mine. I have had my current bike for years and while it isn't in bad shape, it certainly isn't in top condition anymore. The poor thing has seen a lot of travel - like Susimi's, it has been along everything from gravel roads to muddy trails. If I had the money to get a new one currently I certainly would, but it is sadly not something I can reasonably afford. Living off a small wage topped by small amounts earned online doesn't leave me with much to spend in surplus.

Overall though, I don't feel a constant need to have the latest model, no. Even just getting my current bike fixed up a bit would be great for me. I don't see a need in getting a new one if I don't need it yet. Astronomical difference, I know, but getting a new bike at on a whim is basically the equivalent of getting a new car just because it is something I want - aka, not doable. So I just don't think about it.

For me it's the other way around, I often feel bad for even thinking about replacing my perfectly functional older bike for a newer one.

llfsa said:
For me it's the other way around, I often feel bad for even thinking about replacing my perfectly functional older bike for a newer one.
I feel the same way, I also bought it used. To me, it makes so much more sense to buy something fully functional used than to buy new. Save a ton of money and the only thing that seperates new from used is riding for one day,lol...

I kind of need a new and shiny bike since my current one is a 15 year old mountain bike. I mainly travel by road so it's time for a new ride for me lol!

I think that will always be a given you know to be tempted to upgrade or buy a new bike. Even if I have the budget to splurge on I will still think about it carefully whether to buy a new one or be contented with what I have. But I will certainly purchase a new bike if the present one does not serve its purpose anymore