Do You Cycle In The Winter?

overhellbaitre

May 30, 2015
Whenever it gets cold, I get the itch to get out on my bike. I have been cross training in the mean time to keep my busy, but I really want to ride.

I have been told the trails around here get cleared faster than the roads do! Do people really ride that much during the winter? (It is maybe 10-20 degrees here)

Last time I road, it was about 35-40 degrees, and my ears got colder than I would have liked them to be. I wore Under Armor pants and shirt over my biker shorts and under my jersey. My cycle gloves were adequate for my hands. After I got going, my body was fine. Just my face/ears/head got really cold. I know you can get a balaclava(sp?) for your head, but it just seems like it would look really strange.

Also, would anyone else be on the trail? I know that shouldn't matter, but I do think it would be weird riding my roadie down a trail with snow on either side, and be the only one doing it.

Depends on the winter. Couple of years ago, I think I missed 5 days all winter due to bad weather. Last winter, I think I got 5 days of riding in.

Yes, yes I do.

Balaklavas seem to make dogs angry... I had a dog chasing me once whilst riding with my face covered.

You might also want to avoid protests when with a covered face.

I actually enjoy riding in the winter even more then summer exactly because there aren't so many sketchy riding noobs, babies, once a year riders and intoxicated tourists in the cycling infastructure.

Plus for some weird reason there is even more cars on the roads in summer. I guess its the normal traffic plus the cafe lizards...

I do like wearing less stuff though...

Reactions: BikeBikeBikeBike
Yup I have rode in the winter, but also depends on how code it is outside during the time I want to ride.

My winters consist of 50 to 75 degree weather, so I'm probably one of the lucky ones. Then again, we don't exactly experience winters in San Diego, so I guess we're also the losers here. I've ridden in exceptionally cold weather before, and you won't find too many people out on the roads or trails in most areas when the temperature dips too low. I wouldn't worry about being the only person doing it, though.

Rarely but I do only if I am forced to. The coldest I've ever biked in was about 20 degrees F. Not too bad if you bring layers but counting the wind chill that fateful day and you got yourself a pretty nasty bike day!

Of course! Have a special beater just for the occasion. It's a different beast in the snow, haven't had any dogs chase me yet though Volnix, only beavers maybe it's a Canadian thing.
Yea you really gotta layer up, but get moving it's not so bad.

I don't recommend a roadie for winter riding. I have ridden them and you can find yourself planted on the ground real fast. My winter bike is a chromo mountain bike with tange 8 forks. It has studded tires. I don't ride it much under 40 below. At 50 below your eyelids freeze open

I ride all winter but its probably not as cold where I Iive. I do shorter, more intensive rides a few times a week on the road and a long offroad mountain bike trail with long uphill climbs at the weekend When its really cold I do wear a balaclava that does not cover my mouth,you do get a cold nose but I am not out for that long. I wear a helmet at all times.

I've cycled in the winter. Even in the snow (on a mountain bike, not road bike), and its fun!!!

And yea i've seen a few ppl here and there riding on roads.

But if u ride constantly in the snow, you should always dry off ur bike when u get inside or else it will rust! if it weren't for that threat, i'd be riding my bike more often. I used to do that though when i had a shitty canadian tire bike cause i didn't care about it. But ever since i got my norco mountain bike, i've only ridden it twice in the snow.

If cycling makes you happy, then do it any time of year. I started riding year-round up here in the Great White (near) North of MN and love every minute. High-tech isnt needed when its bitter cold, but when its just chilly(10-30 degrees), you'll want a good base layer, wool long underwear, and a wool L/S jersey under a hoodie and wind layer. Use any winter gloves that work and get out there

Yep I have a lot.

When I was late teens I went out on my bike when it had been heavily snowing and was still snowing. I ended up riding 3 to 4 miles out of town into the countryside where the roads were quite slippery where they hadn't received much grit attention compared to other more major roads. I don't remember a lot from the ride but I didn't slip over or anything, which was fortunate! I ended up at this huge hill that was on a golf course and I tried to ride down it. After that I returned home.

Thinking about it now, heaven only knows what possessed me to do that. I did take a picture from the top of the hill from my then phone but it's long gone.

We have no winter here but the equivalent of winter is the somewhat cold season of December. That is a good season for cycling since the sun is not too hot and the cold wind is continuous in the morning.

By the way, there is a place here called Tagaytay where the weather is always cloudy and the wind is consistently cool. You will notice that some vehicles from Manila going there (about 80 kilometers away) have their bikes atop their vehicles because that is a good place for cycling.

No, I surely don't. Here winters are pretty cold and there's snow everywhere, plus the roads are icy. I guess it could be done if you have the right bike and I even saw some people who do that. But that's definitely not an option for me as I won't be having any satisfaction, just struggle with the weather.

I haven't had a bike long enough to ride in the winter since I was a little kid. I probably will though. It's either that or walk at this point. I probably won't if it's too slick but I can't see a reason not to as long as I prepare.

A few years ago, we had a big snowstorm that shut a lot of my town down but for some reason one of my friends was still playing a concert downtown. One of my roommates wanted to go and we were snowed in so we couldn't drive but he offered me one of his mountain bikes to make the trek. I think we only road a couple miles but it was a lot of fun. I can't imagine trying to do that on a road bike but the crappy mountain bike he loaned me didn't wreck or anything. That was actually the first time I'd been on a bike since I got a driver's license.

I do not feel comfortable cycling on winter. I hate the cold outside weather mostly morning hours. I prefer exercising while indoor since I have pneumonia which makes me uncomfortable while cycling on cold weather.