Do you download your heart rate monitoring data

mikesbytes

Apr 12, 2006
I was thinking of getting a heart rate monitor and then I got thinking that, as I'm a cross trainer, it would be interesting to compare heart rate data from the various things I do. But seriously, would I just be wasting my money geting one with download?

BTW, which ones should I be looking at.

mikesbytes said:
I was thinking of getting a heart rate monitor and then I got thinking that, as I'm a cross trainer, it would be interesting to compare heart rate data from the various things I do. But seriously, would I just be wasting my money geting one with download?

I am primarily a runner who is new to cycling. I have a Polar F11 HR monitor which I do use to download info to my computer. I personally like the function as it lets me know who I am training each week. I have data from every run in the last year. Depends on the type of person you are. Good luck

Fred

What about the Polar 150 ? It seems to have data download, I assume thats what "upload" means.

Is the data is some sort of format that you can manulipate yourself? Is is it only good for the software the Polar provides?

At about $120 including postage, it won't break the bank.

mikesbytes said:
What about the Polar 150 ? It seems to have data download, I assume thats what "upload" means.

Is the data is some sort of format that you can manulipate yourself? Is is it only good for the software the Polar provides?

At about $120 including postage, it won't break the bank.
It doesn't look like you can load data from the watch to the computer.
Here is the link to the S150 Polar site:
http://www.polar.fi/polar/channels/eng/segments/Cycling/S150/allfeatures.html

You can manipulate the data, and you really don't need any software (except a small cheap microphone to take the info from the HR monitor to your computer). Polar keeps track of the data on their website. Check out the Polar site to see which ones you like. Personally I am very happy with the F11. It is not the highest end one but it does everything I need.

Good luck

mikesbytes said:
Sounds like you need a Polar S625X or S725X as both can be used for cycling (speed, cadence and power) as well as running/walking/hiking etc with the S1 Foot Pod.

Downside is that they're not cheap

Pennstate said:
It doesn't look like you can load data from the watch to the computer.
Here is the link to the S150 Polar site:
http://www.polar.fi/polar/channels/eng/segments/Cycling/S150/allfeatures.html

You can manipulate the data, and you really don't need any software (except a small cheap microphone to take the info from the HR monitor to your computer). Polar keeps track of the data on their website. Check out the Polar site to see which ones you like. Personally I am very happy with the F11. It is not the highest end one but it does everything I need.

Good luck
I'm a bit confused. It lets you upload the data to the Polar web site, but not to your PC?

mikesbytes said:
I'm a bit confused. It lets you upload the data to the Polar web site, but not to your PC?

I have a Polar 720i and download my data to my PC. Their PC software is decent and lets you track your workouts over time.

I don't know about uploading stuff to their website...

I've had a think about this. It doesn't need to be mounted to me, as it will only be used on the bike, or indoors, so being a watch is not mandatory.

What is important is been able to get at the data that it produces so I can manipulate it myself.

Why do I make life difficult for myself. Most people are happy to be able to look down and see a number.

mikesbytes said:
I've had a think about this. It doesn't need to be mounted to me, as it will only be used on the bike, or indoors, so being a watch is not mandatory.

What is important is been able to get at the data that it produces so I can manipulate it myself.

Why do I make life difficult for myself. Most people are happy to be able to look down and see a number.
Downloading to the website is very easy. You can manipulate the data as well. It also allows you to track your performance and improvement over time.

I have the polar 720 and the power unit that measures watts. I download it to my pc using the polar software that comes with it. Works slick. Though I don't bother to grab the raw data, it is available to send to a spreadsheet or whatever. Personally I just use the software as provided, but the raw data is also there for you to use as you please.

Jim

One other advantage of the S720i et al is that you can also track altitude. This has a number of applications, eg, total vertical ascent for a ride, average gradient for a climb (useful in estimating avergae power output), etc. This will be outputted with the HR and speed data of a ride in graphical form.

The S720i also gives temperature averages - but this is mostly overkill, except for oddities you might be interested in (eg the temps at this year's Alpine Classic in Vic).

However, it's a bit pricier than the simpler models - around 700AUD IIRC - and the power unit is a similar price. Threads on the Power Training forum suggest it needs a little calibrating to give reliable power outputs (there's a fair bit of literature on the topic).

Cheers,

Rob

mikesbytes said:

If you want to have a record on your PC of every data point from each ride (speed, cadence, HR, altitude - even power with that option) then you'll need a 72x series Polar. IIRC, the other cheaper models upload the summary info only to a web site and not to your PC - which is a bit useless if you want to interrogate data from within a ride (e.g. intervals) or export to excel and do your own manipulations. I ran a 720i for 2-3 years and found it to be an excellent product (with a solid service centre) but I moved onto using a power meter over a year ago and now wished I'd done so many years earlier.