Do you drink during an L4 interval? Can you?

yzfrr11

Nov 11, 2004
I suppose I could drink, but it would be very difficult and the risk of aspiration would be high. But I do not drink during an L4 interval. L5 - not possible. L3, I do drink, but it is not easy. Maybe I need to work on fluid replenishment?

I do drink during L4 intervals, as it helps dull the pain. ;) Actually, it takes a little practice to get the drink and swallow in one quick gulp, and if you time it right it can be done between breaths without ever breaking rhythm.

I wait to drink between L5 intervals, since their short, and there's no issue at all drinking during L3. Sometimes I sit up, stretch, drink, wipe down, etc. and then get back to it.

yzfrr11 said:
I suppose I could drink, but it would be very difficult and the risk of aspiration would be high. But I do not drink during an L4 interval. L5 - not possible. L3, I do drink, but it is not easy. Maybe I need to work on fluid replenishment?
What would you do in a race then ? :eek: ;)

I do the majority of my L4 and L5 sessions on the trainer and drinking during an L4 is no problem (and a welcome relief). During an L5, swallowing has proved to be almost impossible ;)

If I am at 91% to 100%FTP L4 I can drink with a few quick breaths before the gulp and it doesn't break my rhythm.

yzfrr11 said:
I do not drink during an L4 interval. L5 - not possible. L3, I do drink, but it is not easy.
This almost sounds like everything is half a level too hard. For me during L4, it's really only tough to drink in the last few minutes of an interval, or if I'm up in the 100 - 105% level. Are you constantly doing your L4 work right up at FTP? How did you set your FTP, it could be that's a little high.

Also, if you can't drink during L4, can you drink during a race? The drinking during L4 certainly isn't necessary for most situations, but it's possibly pointing out other things (FTP set too high, inability to drink at all under competition stress).

yzfrr11 said:

I think it's crucial to learn to drink in L4 or L5. More realistic to race conditions, though you're less likely to drink in L5. I'm used to drinking even a little in races though at 100%+ after years go honing it during longer road races (10 miles, etc.) Marathons was easier as you're going slower. Overall, I find drinking on the bike much easier since you're head isn't bouncing around.

jbvcoaching said:
This almost sounds like everything is half a level too hard. For me during L4, it's really only tough to drink in the last few minutes of an interval, or if I'm up in the 100 - 105% level. Are you constantly doing your L4 work right up at FTP? How did you set your FTP, it could be that's a little high.

Also, if you can't drink during L4, can you drink during a race? The drinking during L4 certainly isn't necessary for most situations, but it's possibly pointing out other things (FTP set too high, inability to drink at all under competition stress).
Was thinking the same - especially as OP said they have trouble drinking in L3.

Nothing wrong with dropping power for a few seconds to enable a drink, it ain't gunna have much impact on the overall L4 workout. e.g. in a 20 minute interval, 10 seconds taken for a drink which, say, sees you drop from 300 watts to 250 watts while getting that drink, will drop your overall 20 minute average less than 1/2 watt.

Better than not staying hydrated.

I had that problem today on a really warm muggy morning. Despite 4 x bidons and a drink stop I still lost 3kg on today's ride:eek:. I needed Floyd's support car!

Alex Simmons said:
Was thinking the same - especially as OP said they have trouble drinking in L3.

Nothing wrong with dropping power for a few seconds to enable a drink, it ain't gunna have much impact on the overall L4 workout. e.g. in a 20 minute interval, 10 seconds taken for a drink which, say, sees you drop from 300 watts to 250 watts while getting that drink, will drop your overall 20 minute average less than 1/2 watt.

Better than not staying hydrated.

I had that problem today on a really warm muggy morning. Despite 4 x bidons and a drink stop I still lost 3kg on today's ride:eek:. I needed Floyd's support car!
dropping the power or even cadence is hard while on the ergometer. I have to say I have a hard time "not breathing" my drink during L4 and find it downright impossible on L5. L3 no issue at all ...

Yes, and I inject the liquid by squeezing the bottle hard, I do drop the power a bit.

-bikeguy

rmur17 said:
dropping the power or even cadence is hard while on the ergometer. I have to say I have a hard time "not breathing" my drink during L4 and find it downright impossible on L5. L3 no issue at all ...
Fair enough - mine are always outdoors....

How long's the interval?

20 minutes? I can do that without drinking, but probably gulp down about half a bottle between intervals.

More than 30 minutes and I'd probably NEED liquids.