Do YOU eat at your dining room table every day?

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by cathyxyz, Feb 26, 2006.

  1. cathyxyz

    cathyxyz Guest

    Sorry - all the talk about using good tableware reminded me that we
    actually have a dining room table ;)

    We usually eat in the "family" room. I can remember as a kid that my
    Mom used to lay the table properly for *every* meal. She still does.
    Only time we use ours now is for HIgh Days and Holidays...

    Cheers
    Cathy(xyz)

    Tags:

  2. Phred

    Phred Guest

    In article <[email protected]>, "cathyxyz" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >Sorry - all the talk about using good tableware reminded me that we
    >actually have a dining room table ;)

    I can see mine too -- though the clear horizontal surface is now down
    to plate size.

    What passes for breakfast -- standing at the bench near the sink.

    Lunch -- usually off the premises.

    Dinner -- usually at that plate-sized surface. (Which is the only
    reason it's still clear. :)

    >We usually eat in the "family" room. I can remember as a kid that my
    >Mom used to lay the table properly for *every* meal. She still does.
    >Only time we use ours now is for HIgh Days and Holidays...

    Cheers, Phred.

    --
    [email protected]LID

  3. cathyxyz

    cathyxyz Guest

    Phred wrote:
    > In article <[email protected]>, "cathyxyz" <[email protected]> wrote:
    > >Sorry - all the talk about using good tableware reminded me that we
    > >actually have a dining room table ;)

    > I can see mine too -- though the clear horizontal surface is now down
    > to plate size.
    >
    > What passes for breakfast -- standing at the bench near the sink.
    >
    > Lunch -- usually off the premises.
    >
    > Dinner -- usually at that plate-sized surface. (Which is the only
    > reason it's still clear. :)

    Glad we're not the only "guilty ones" heh heh

    Cheers
    Cathy(xyz)

  4. kilikini

    kilikini Guest

    "cathyxyz" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Sorry - all the talk about using good tableware reminded me that we
    > actually have a dining room table ;)
    >
    > We usually eat in the "family" room. I can remember as a kid that my
    > Mom used to lay the table properly for *every* meal. She still does.
    > Only time we use ours now is for HIgh Days and Holidays...
    >
    > Cheers
    > Cathy(xyz)

    We don't have a dining room; just a kitchen that connects to the living
    room. So, my answer would be no. (Shoots, we don't even have a table!)

    kili

  5. cathyxyz

    cathyxyz Guest

    kilikini wrote:

    > We don't have a dining room; just a kitchen that connects to the living
    > room. So, my answer would be no. (Shoots, we don't even have a table!)

    <eg> not even a tiny one for your beer? :)

  6. Dee Randall

    Dee Randall Guest

    "cathyxyz" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Sorry - all the talk about using good tableware reminded me that we
    > actually have a dining room table ;)
    >
    > We usually eat in the "family" room. I can remember as a kid that my
    > Mom used to lay the table properly for *every* meal. She still does.
    > Only time we use ours now is for HIgh Days and Holidays...

    We eat every meal in the dining room on a big wooden table of my choice
    bought over 30 years ago and used for every meal in all 5 houses we've
    owned; hauled around by Bekins from Coast to Coast. Sometimes no leaves
    have been used, but right now all leaves are attached. Sometimes I use
    tablecloths, over the years I've bought them for every size the table
    becomes, and sometimes we eat on bare wood, just depends. We've only had
    bar stools around a kitchen counter once, but we never ate at the counter.
    Dee Dee

  7. cathyxyz

    cathyxyz Guest

    Dee Randall wrote:

    > We eat every meal in the dining room on a big wooden table of my choice
    > bought over 30 years ago and used for every meal in all 5 houses we've
    > owned; hauled around by Bekins from Coast to Coast. Sometimes no leaves
    > have been used, but right now all leaves are attached. Sometimes I use
    > tablecloths, over the years I've bought them for every size the table
    > becomes, and sometimes we eat on bare wood, just depends. We've only had
    > bar stools around a kitchen counter once, but we never ate at the counter.

    I shoulda known that you are a "civilized" person, Dee :) Sounds like
    it has great sentimental value as well... Nice to hear it.

    Cheers
    Cathy(xyz)

  8. On 26 Feb 2006 04:40:47 -0800, "cathyxyz" <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >Sorry - all the talk about using good tableware reminded me that we
    >actually have a dining room table ;)
    >
    >We usually eat in the "family" room. I can remember as a kid that my
    >Mom used to lay the table properly for *every* meal. She still does.
    >Only time we use ours now is for HIgh Days and Holidays...

    We don't have a dining room table - or a dining room for that matter.
    Our "dining room" is our kitchen. And yes, we eat at a properly laid
    table (it's the children's chore to set it) every day. Good food and
    good conversation, can't live without that.

    Nathalie in Switzerland

  9. Our dining room is useless. We use it maybe 4 times per year.
    That's why we want to knock out the wall and incorporate the dining
    room into a giant eat-in kitchen.

  10. "cathyxyz" <[email protected]> wrote in
    news:[email protected]:

    > Sorry - all the talk about using good tableware reminded me that we
    > actually have a dining room table ;)

    It's the only table we have, so yes <g>. Mind you, sometimes I have to
    clear enough room for us to eat because of that law of collection on flat
    surfaces, or if I'm doing a jigsaw, or using it for working on a project.

    We have seats at our kitchen counter, where I might have breakfast or a
    quick lunch, and occasionally I'm guilty of eating from my lap while
    reading or watching a movie, but otherwise it's the dining room table. Our
    living area is very open plan, though, with a large archway between lounge
    and dining, and only the kitchen bench separating kitchen from dining room.

    --
    Rhonda Anderson
    Cranebrook, NSW, Australia

  11. Nancy Young

    Nancy Young Guest

    "cathyxyz" <[email protected]> wrote

    > Sorry - all the talk about using good tableware reminded me that we
    > actually have a dining room table ;)
    >
    > We usually eat in the "family" room. I can remember as a kid that my
    > Mom used to lay the table properly for *every* meal. She still does.
    > Only time we use ours now is for HIgh Days and Holidays...

    When I was a kid, you only ate at the dining room table
    on holidays. Otherwise no food, in any form or fashion,
    left the kitchen, and we all ate at the kitchen table. Now,
    I have a little wood tray table I use, once in a while we eat
    in the kitchen at the table like big people. When you don't have
    children, the rules can go out the window. I'd be strict about
    eating at the table if I did have them.

    nancy

  12. cathyxyz

    cathyxyz Guest

    Nancy Young wrote:

    > When I was a kid, you only ate at the dining room table
    > on holidays. Otherwise no food, in any form or fashion,
    > left the kitchen, and we all ate at the kitchen table. Now,
    > I have a little wood tray table I use, once in a while we eat
    > in the kitchen at the table like big people. When you don't have
    > children, the rules can go out the window. I'd be strict about
    > eating at the table if I did have them.

    Now I feel even more "guilty"... we have a toddler and we still don't
    eat at the dining room table... but the funny thing is - I just
    realised - when we eat on the veranda/porch (which is often in summer)
    we do eat at the table. Maybe our kiddo will get the idea eventually...
    ;)

    Cheers
    Cathy(xyz)

  13. Nancy Young

    Nancy Young Guest

    "cathyxyz" <[email protected]> wrote

    > Nancy Young wrote:

    >> in the kitchen at the table like big people. When you don't have
    >> children, the rules can go out the window. I'd be strict about
    >> eating at the table if I did have them.

    > Now I feel even more "guilty"... we have a toddler and we still don't
    > eat at the dining room table... but the funny thing is - I just
    > realised - when we eat on the veranda/porch (which is often in summer)
    > we do eat at the table. Maybe our kiddo will get the idea eventually...
    > ;)

    (laugh!) Guilt making was not meant by me ... but, yeah, I do think
    families with children should eat together if possible. Who says it
    has to be at a table?

    nancy

  14. "Nancy Young" <[email protected]> hitched up their panties and posted
    news:[email protected]:

    > "cathyxyz" <[email protected]> wrote
    >
    >> Nancy Young wrote:

    >>> in the kitchen at the table like big people. When you don't have
    >>> children, the rules can go out the window. I'd be strict about
    >>> eating at the table if I did have them.

    >> Now I feel even more "guilty"... we have a toddler and we still don't
    >> eat at the dining room table... but the funny thing is - I just
    >> realised - when we eat on the veranda/porch (which is often in summer)
    >> we do eat at the table. Maybe our kiddo will get the idea eventually...
    >> ;)

    > (laugh!) Guilt making was not meant by me ... but, yeah, I do think
    > families with children should eat together if possible. Who says it
    > has to be at a table?
    >
    > nancy

    We have both a dining room and an eat in kitchen. 90% of the time we eat in
    the den on TV trays ;(

    Michael

    --
    “It requires a certain kind of mind to see beauty in a hamburger bun.”
    _Ray Kroc, creator of the McDonald's franchise

  15. jmcquown

    jmcquown Guest

    cathyxyz wrote:
    > Sorry - all the talk about using good tableware reminded me that we
    > actually have a dining room table ;)
    >
    > We usually eat in the "family" room. I can remember as a kid that my
    > Mom used to lay the table properly for *every* meal. She still does.
    > Only time we use ours now is for HIgh Days and Holidays...
    >
    > Cheers
    > Cathy(xyz)

    Alas, I purchased a "kitchen nook" set (which was supposed to go in my
    dining room since I don't have an eat-in kitchen). It looks like this:

    http://www.onewayfurniture.com/oakkitnookse.html

    I loved the look but the purchase was a mistake. It was delivered in
    cartons and requires two people to hold the pieces during assembly. I don't
    have two people LOL So it's still in the cartons. I eat on a tray in front
    of the television.

    When I was growing up we always ate in the dining room. Later when we moved
    to a house with an eat-in kitchen, we ate at the kitchen table. The dining
    room was reserved for holiday dinners.

    Jill

  16. Gabby

    Gabby Guest

    "cathyxyz" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Sorry - all the talk about using good tableware reminded me that we
    > actually have a dining room table ;)
    >
    > We usually eat in the "family" room. I can remember as a kid that my
    > Mom used to lay the table properly for *every* meal. She still does.
    > Only time we use ours now is for HIgh Days and Holidays...

    Not every day. We do try to eat there as a family (down to 3 from 5) at
    least 2 or 3 times a week. Since son works at 6 p.m. several times a week
    and hubby has 2 Scout/Cub meetings each week, we try to eat there on the
    nights we are all off. Otherwise hubby and I usually eat in front of the
    TV.

    Dining room table is a cheap teak veneer Scandinavian model we bought at
    Sears back in 1976. It has survived 8 moves and 3 periods (7 years total)
    in storage while we were on isolated postings. I love it because it has
    leaves at both ends, leaves that slide under the solid top. It easily seats
    6 without the leaves and 10 with.

    I inherited my MIL's dining room set and use the buffet/hutch & chairs with
    my own table (who cares if it matches). I had to be too careful with her
    drop leaf table (the finish clouds if you breathe on it) so I use it -- with
    the leaves down -- as a sofa table.

    Gabby

  17. Jude

    Jude Guest

    cathyxyz wrote:
    > Sorry - all the talk about using good tableware reminded me that we
    > actually have a dining room table ;)
    >
    > We usually eat in the "family" room. I can remember as a kid that my
    > Mom used to lay the table properly for *every* meal. She still does.
    > Only time we use ours now is for HIgh Days and Holidays...
    >
    > Cheers
    > Cathy(xyz)

    We have dinner together as a family - me, my BF, and our 9 year old
    daughter - most nights. House rule is that dinnertime is in the kitchen
    (don't have a dining room) at the table. Sometimes we have music on but
    not too loud - I was raised on the belief that 30 minutes of
    socializing at the dinner table was an importtant family activity. No
    gulping down your food in 3 bites and getting up; we all had to be at
    the table for half an hour, eat slowly with good manners, and have a
    chance to talk about our days together.

    On Friday nights, we having dinner (delivered pizza) in front of the TV
    and watch movies. That's the only time she's permitted to eat in the
    living room.

    On some occasions (ie, when Patrick has to work til 10) I feed my
    daughter early, at the kitchen table, and I sit with her while she
    eats, or putter around the kitchen packing lunches, putting away
    dishes, etc. Then he and I eat later on, in the sitting area of our
    bedroom, in front of the TV. That's his thing.

    Breakfast for the kiddo is usually on a stool at the kitchen counter.

  18. Goomba38

    Goomba38 Guest

    Jude wrote:

    > We have dinner together as a family - me, my BF, and our 9 year old
    > daughter - most nights. House rule is that dinnertime is in the kitchen
    > (don't have a dining room) at the table. Sometimes we have music on but
    > not too loud - I was raised on the belief that 30 minutes of
    > socializing at the dinner table was an importtant family activity. No
    > gulping down your food in 3 bites and getting up; we all had to be at
    > the table for half an hour, eat slowly with good manners, and have a
    > chance to talk about our days together.

    This is how I was raised also. And NO TV on!!! That is the death to
    conversation. I worry that kids nowadays aren't getting very much of
    this family dinner time and what they're losing down the road?
    Goomba

  19. Jude

    Jude Guest

    Goomba38 wrote:
    > Jude wrote:
    >
    > > We have dinner together as a family - me, my BF, and our 9 year old
    > > daughter - most nights. House rule is that dinnertime is in the kitchen
    > > (don't have a dining room) at the table. Sometimes we have music on but
    > > not too loud - I was raised on the belief that 30 minutes of
    > > socializing at the dinner table was an importtant family activity. No
    > > gulping down your food in 3 bites and getting up; we all had to be at
    > > the table for half an hour, eat slowly with good manners, and have a
    > > chance to talk about our days together.

    > This is how I was raised also. And NO TV on!!! That is the death to
    > conversation. I worry that kids nowadays aren't getting very much of
    > this family dinner time and what they're losing down the road?
    > Goomba

    I agree completely. I think there are some far-reaching social
    implications when your children eat dinner in front of the TV every
    night, whether it's in the kitchen or the living rooms. It would make
    an interesting sociological study. I'm sure it affects kids abilities
    for small talk as well as family bonding, etc.

    One more clause - Mom made it firm and fast that we WOULD manage dinner
    together. Sometimes dinnertime had to be flexed for drama club
    rehearsal, lacrosse practive, art class, or choir (there were 3 of us
    kids) but we all knew that dinner would be worked around our
    committments, so we darn well better make it home in time.

    People now seem to use soccer practice, gymnastics,etc, as an excuse to
    feed their kids fast-food crap during the week. Somehow we managed to
    get to our activites and still e at dinner at home, real food even!

  20. "cathyxyz" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Sorry - all the talk about using good tableware reminded me that we
    > actually have a dining room table ;)

    Not every day, but often. Used to be every day when the kids were home, but
    now we may even have a light dinner in the family room watching the news.
    We use the dining room table more than the kitchen table though.