Do YOU eat at your dining room table every day?

On Mon 27 Feb 2006 02:03:43a, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Nathalie
Chiva?

> On Sun, 26 Feb 2006 23:41:24 -0600, Melba's Jammin'
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>In article <[email protected]>,
>> Nathalie Chiva <[email protected]> wrote:
>>
>>> But then I have no TV, and I was raised on good food properly served
>>> and a tradition of conversation at dinner, I just can't imagine it
>>> any other way. It doesn't have anything to do with formality, it's
>>> family or couple life. Call me old-fashioned.
>>> Nathalie in Switzerland

>>Call you grounded and wise. This is an interesting story from a few
>>weeks back in the Minneapolis newspaper:
>>http://www.startribune.com/462/story/230069.html I knew a young woman who
>>grew up in a family where everyone's attendance was required for Sunday
>>dinner. Required. No sports, dates, or jobs were allowed to interfere
>>with that family time. Required. I think that mom was pretty wise,
>>too.

> Thanks for the link. It boggles my mind that there is a need to have a
> program like that, but if it works, great!
> Even if I'm alone I sit down at the kitchen table. I take a book
> though.

To some extent I can see the need. With both parents working (often
different schedules), children's extra-curricular activities that
sometimes start well before the normal school day or end well after it, a
common meal time for all to sit down together could, indeed, be a
challenge.

--
Wayne Boatwright o¿o
____________________

BIOYA

Nancy Young wrote:

> "cathyxyz" <[email protected]> wrote
>
> > Sorry - all the talk about using good tableware reminded me that we
> > actually have a dining room table ;)
> >
> > We usually eat in the "family" room. I can remember as a kid that my
> > Mom used to lay the table properly for *every* meal. She still does.
> > Only time we use ours now is for HIgh Days and Holidays...

> When I was a kid, you only ate at the dining room table
> on holidays. Otherwise no food, in any form or fashion,
> left the kitchen, and we all ate at the kitchen table. Now,
> I have a little wood tray table I use, once in a while we eat
> in the kitchen at the table like big people. When you don't have
> children, the rules can go out the window. I'd be strict about
> eating at the table if I did have them.
>
> nancy

Yup, when our kids were home, we always ate at the kitchen table,
properly set. Now there is just dh and I and we eat in front of the
tv. We don't have a dining room......Sharon

We eat as a family almost every night. And because we're used to having
"strays" show up for dinner unannounced, we often set an extra place,
just in case.

We always ate as a family when I was growing up, as did my husband's
family--which, for them could be a quite a feat--he has ten siblings,
and his parents ran a restaurant up until a couple of years ago.

The only time we eat in front of the TV is if we've dubbed it "movie
night," and are doing pizza and wings...

Amy

Up until a few years ago, we lived in a tiny studio apartment in NYC
with a tiny eat-in kitchen. Seeking more space we bought a house out on
Long Island. I insisted the house had more than 1 bath room, and had a
dining room.
We've been here now over 6 years, and every single day we eat at the
dining room table.
I often think of our tiny place we had on E. 82nd Street, and now
totally enjoy being able to dine in a real dining room.
Apartment living stinks!

Bill

"biig" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

> Nancy Young wrote:
>>
>> "cathyxyz" <[email protected]> wrote
>>
>> > Sorry - all the talk about using good tableware reminded me that we
>> > actually have a dining room table ;)
>> >
>> > We usually eat in the "family" room. I can remember as a kid that my
>> > Mom used to lay the table properly for *every* meal. She still does.
>> > Only time we use ours now is for HIgh Days and Holidays...

>> When I was a kid, you only ate at the dining room table
>> on holidays. Otherwise no food, in any form or fashion,
>> left the kitchen, and we all ate at the kitchen table. Now,
>> I have a little wood tray table I use, once in a while we eat
>> in the kitchen at the table like big people. When you don't have
>> children, the rules can go out the window. I'd be strict about
>> eating at the table if I did have them.
>>
>> nancy

> Yup, when our kids were home, we always ate at the kitchen table,
> properly set. Now there is just dh and I and we eat in front of the
> tv. We don't have a dining room......Sharon

Our dining room has been converted to a music room. It's full of instruments
and stands and the table is covered with scores. When we want to use it
there is a major project to get it cleaned out. But that's only for formal
dinners a few times a year. 99% of the time we eat in the sunroom.

--
Peter Aitken

-L. wrote:
> Dee Randall wrote:
>> A dining room may often look formal, but it doesn't have to be,
>> except in one's head. If one thinks of a dining room with the
>> standard set up and everything laid out perfect, then it will be
>> formal usually in your mind, too.

> Our dining room is weird in that it holds only the dining table and
> chairs. Here's pics (photos 6 and 7):
>
> http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/usenetlyn/my_photos
>
> There isn't a lot of room to do anything but sit at the table. I do
> use the table to do other things, like wrap packages, though. :)
>
> -L.

Great room! You could actually fit some interesting pieces of furniture in
there without blocking the seating. Off the top of my head I can picture a
lovely antique corner display cabinet to hold wine glasses and the like.

Jill

jmcquown wrote:

> Great room! You could actually fit some interesting pieces of furniture in
> there without blocking the seating. Off the top of my head I can picture a
> lovely antique corner display cabinet to hold wine glasses and the like.
>
> Jill

Thanks. There is a tiny bit of wiggle room in the corners and I have
thought about doing something similar...would like it to match the
table which is dark cherry (DH's pick) and haven't quite found the
right piece(s) yet. :)

-L.

In article <[email protected]>,
"cathyxyz" <[email protected]> wrote:

> Sorry - all the talk about using good tableware reminded me that we
> actually have a dining room table ;)
>
> We usually eat in the "family" room. I can remember as a kid that my
> Mom used to lay the table properly for *every* meal. She still does.
> Only time we use ours now is for HIgh Days and Holidays...

Yes, we eat pretty much all our meals at the dining room table. The
only exception being Rich and lunch, since he's at work. I try to eat
at the same time as the kids, and we definitely have them eat at the
table. If we have a ton of people over, then we set up a second (and
sometimes third) table, and adults can eat in the living room for no kid
parties.

Regards,
Ranee

Remove do not & spam to e-mail me.

http://arabianknits.blogspot.com/

sf <[email protected]> wrote:

> If the weather at my house was conducive to outdoor dining and I had a
> deck off my kitchen - I'd be eating outside until it was so cold, I
> couldn't. A table is a table, setting it nicely and having whole
> family meals around it makes for good childhood memories. My kids are
> grown now and they will testify to that.

We try to eat outdoors often, which can be difficult in our region.
Once spring weather arrives, we do picnic lunches or more dressed up at
the table outside, and in the summer we often eat dinner outside as
well. We host an Easter feast for our church each year, and we set up
four long tables outside for everyone to sit, if the weather is good
enough, and serve from the dining room table and bar inside.

Regards,
Ranee

Remove do not & spam to e-mail me.

http://arabianknits.blogspot.com/

Nathalie Chiva <[email protected]> wrote:

> But then I have no TV, and I was raised on good food properly served
> and a tradition of conversation at dinner, I just can't imagine it
> any other way. It doesn't have anything to do with formality, it's
> family or couple life. Call me old-fashioned.

I think we are more like you. No television in this house except for
movies, we have zero reception and didn't want to waste money piping in
garbage talk and behavior that we wouldn't allow if those people were
actually in our living room, and we don't watch movies while eating a
meal. We might pop popcorn or have some other snack while watching a
movie as a treat, but just as often we read together or play games.
After the meal.

We eat at the dining table, we say grace, the table is set, the kids
are taught table manners, we talk about the day, though the kids
sometimes have to be directed more toward eating than talking, and we
usually have flowers of some sort, and some times candles.

-L. wrote:
> jmcquown wrote:
>>
>> Great room! You could actually fit some interesting pieces of
>> furniture in there without blocking the seating. Off the top of my
>> head I can picture a lovely antique corner display cabinet to hold
>> wine glasses and the like.
>>
>> Jill

> Thanks. There is a tiny bit of wiggle room in the corners and I have
> thought about doing something similar...would like it to match the
> table which is dark cherry (DH's pick) and haven't quite found the
> right piece(s) yet. :)
>
> -L.

Funny, I'm always running across stuff like this. My coffee table and end
tables are from my grandmother; they are leather topped tables. My 4-drawer
chest in my bedroom are dark cherry (I donated the bed and remaining dresser
and night stand to my brother for his 2nd bedroom). But you can also find
complimentary woods. Go to your local hardware store and get samples, same
as you would do for paint. There are lighter woods (in this case slightly
lighter) which will set off the dining table.

And I hesitate to say this, but then, you know I'm not one to hold back LOL
You need a much larger painting or print on the wall behind the table to
bring everything together in the room. I only think this, of course,
because my LLL is a painter and I'm used to seeing some of his large pieces
displayed in both large and small spaces. Something 6ft length by 4ft high
or 5x3, unframed, would really set off the back wall. Muted shades, unless
you really want this wall to POP! But I'm not promoting his work, just
saying, I think the wall deserves more. Seek out what you like, but the
wall looks rather bare, IMHO.

Here's a link to some of his work last year:

http://community.webshots.com/album/332698141UtcsuJ

Jill

Jill

> -L. wrote:
>> jmcquown wrote:
>>>
>>> Great room! You could actually fit some interesting pieces of
>>> furniture in there without blocking the seating. Off the top of my
>>> head I can picture a lovely antique corner display cabinet to hold
>>> wine glasses and the like.
>>>
>>> Jill

>> Thanks. There is a tiny bit of wiggle room in the corners and I have
>> thought about doing something similar...would like it to match the
>> table which is dark cherry (DH's pick) and haven't quite found the
>> right piece(s) yet. :)
>>
>> -L.

> Funny, I'm always running across stuff like this. My coffee table and end
> tables are from my grandmother; they are leather topped tables. My
> 4-drawer
> chest in my bedroom are dark cherry (I donated the bed and remaining
> dresser
> and night stand to my brother for his 2nd bedroom). But you can also find
> complimentary woods. Go to your local hardware store and get samples,
> same
> as you would do for paint. There are lighter woods (in this case slightly
> lighter) which will set off the dining table.
>
> And I hesitate to say this, but then, you know I'm not one to hold back
> LOL
> You need a much larger painting or print on the wall behind the table to
> bring everything together in the room. I only think this, of course,
> because my LLL is a painter and I'm used to seeing some of his large
> pieces
> displayed in both large and small spaces. Something 6ft length by 4ft
> high
> or 5x3, unframed, would really set off the back wall. Muted shades,
> unless
> you really want this wall to POP! But I'm not promoting his work, just
> saying, I think the wall deserves more. Seek out what you like, but the
> wall looks rather bare, IMHO.
>
> Here's a link to some of his work last year:
>
> http://community.webshots.com/album/332698141UtcsuJ
>
> Jill
>
> Jill

Not only would larger art work bring drama to the room, it needs to be hung
a whole lot lower so it relates to the furniture.

Actually she should go thru the whole house and lower all the art work at
least a foot if not two.

Ms P

ms_peacock wrote:
> "jmcquown" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> -L. wrote:
>>> jmcquown wrote:
>>>>

>> also find complimentary woods. Go to your local hardware store and
>> get samples, same
>> as you would do for paint. There are lighter woods (in this case
>> slightly lighter) which will set off the dining table.
>>
>> And I hesitate to say this, but then, you know I'm not one to hold
>> back LOL
>> You need a much larger painting or print on the wall behind the
>> table to bring everything together in the room. I only think this,
>> of course, because my LLL is a painter and I'm used to seeing some
>> of his large pieces
>> displayed in both large and small spaces. Something 6ft length by
>> 4ft high
>> or 5x3, unframed, would really set off the back wall. Muted shades,
>> unless
>> you really want this wall to POP! But I'm not promoting his work,
>> just saying, I think the wall deserves more. Seek out what you
>> like, but the wall looks rather bare, IMHO.
>>
>> Jill

> Not only would larger art work bring drama to the room, it needs to
> be hung a whole lot lower so it relates to the furniture.

I wasn't going to say so, but that was my first thought. I'm 5'3" and if I
wanted to looked at the pieces in the dining room I'd feel like I needed to
stand on a chair, which of course would be inappropriate :)

Jill

jmcquown wrote:

> Funny, I'm always running across stuff like this. My coffee table and end
> tables are from my grandmother; they are leather topped tables. My 4-drawer
> chest in my bedroom are dark cherry (I donated the bed and remaining dresser
> and night stand to my brother for his 2nd bedroom). But you can also find
> complimentary woods. Go to your local hardware store and get samples, same
> as you would do for paint. There are lighter woods (in this case slightly
> lighter) which will set off the dining table.
>
> And I hesitate to say this, but then, you know I'm not one to hold back LOL
> You need a much larger painting or print on the wall behind the table to
> bring everything together in the room.

The room is smaller than it looks in the pics, but the ceilings are
extremely high. The prints I have in there serendipidiously matched
the ceiling paint which is a very odd shade of green - I had purchased
them 10 years ago or so and they are original art from a lady I have
met. I collect her work. They're 5-color lino prints, on handmade
paper. No way am I ever replacing them. :)

> I only think this, of course,
> because my LLL is a painter and I'm used to seeing some of his large pieces
> displayed in both large and small spaces. Something 6ft length by 4ft high
> or 5x3, unframed, would really set off the back wall. Muted shades, unless
> you really want this wall to POP! But I'm not promoting his work, just
> saying, I think the wall deserves more. Seek out what you like, but the
> wall looks rather bare, IMHO.
>
> Here's a link to some of his work last year:
>
> http://community.webshots.com/album/332698141UtcsuJ

I have seen his work - very talented! His stuff looks familiar - did
he ever work the Broadripple Art Fair in Indianapolis? I used ot teach
at the Art League there, and sold my own work at that show (it's an
excellent show, BTW - or at least used to be).

-L.

jmcquown wrote:

> I wasn't going to say so, but that was my first thought. I'm 5'3" and if I
> wanted to looked at the pieces in the dining room I'd feel like I needed to
> stand on a chair, which of course would be inappropriate :)
>
> Jill

You don't. I am 5'4" and they are fine. Trust me on this one. ;)
That photo was taken from the sunken living room. In the photo from
further away, I was sitting on the couch (#6). Also, what you don't
see in that room are the two levels of terraced ceiling - the cord on
the chandelier is about 5 or 6 feet long. So the prints "work"
placed where they are. It's a "vertical" room.

FFS - I guess I won't be posting any more photos to make a point about
there not being a lot of room for anything else but dining in the
dining room, LOL! Anything else you guys want to pick apart?

-L.

Nathalie Chiva wrote:

> On Sun, 26 Feb 2006 17:08:52 -0700, Arri London <[email protected]>
> wrote:
>
> >Yes we eat all of our meals at home in the dining room at the dining
> >room table. Trying to eat off the coffee table in the living room is a
> >distinct pain.

> I was wondering why nobody had mentioned that. The few times I have
> eaten sitting down in a sofa at a low coffee table (not at home, at
> other people's place), I have found it sooooo uncomfortable. Plus, bad
> for the digestion to be bent in two like that.
>
> Nathalie in Switzerland

Perhaps other people find that a normal position in which to eat LOL.
Having the meals placed on trays is just as dire.

-L. wrote:
> jmcquown wrote:
>>>

>> I wasn't going to say so, but that was my first thought. I'm 5'3"
>> and if I wanted to looked at the pieces in the dining room I'd feel
>> like I needed to stand on a chair, which of course would be
>> inappropriate :)
>>
>> Jill

> You don't. I am 5'4" and they are fine. Trust me on this one. ;)
> That photo was taken from the sunken living room. In the photo from
> further away, I was sitting on the couch (#6). Also, what you don't
> see in that room are the two levels of terraced ceiling - the cord on
> the chandelier is about 5 or 6 feet long. So the prints "work"
> placed where they are. It's a "vertical" room.
>
> FFS - I guess I won't be posting any more photos to make a point about
> there not being a lot of room for anything else but dining in the
> dining room, LOL! Anything else you guys want to pick apart?
>
> -L.

Oh pooh! We weren't picking it apart! We were coveting :) Just dreaming
about what we'd do with that room!

Jill

-L. wrote:
> jmcquown wrote:
>>
>> Funny, I'm always running across stuff like this. My coffee table
>> and end tables are from my grandmother; they are leather topped
>> tables. My 4-drawer chest in my bedroom are dark cherry (I donated
>> the bed and remaining dresser and night stand to my brother for his
>> 2nd bedroom). But you can also find complimentary woods. Go to
>> your local hardware store and get samples, same as you would do for
>> paint. There are lighter woods (in this case slightly lighter)
>> which will set off the dining table.
>>
>> And I hesitate to say this, but then, you know I'm not one to hold
>> back LOL You need a much larger painting or print on the wall behind
>> the table to bring everything together in the room.

> The room is smaller than it looks in the pics, but the ceilings are
> extremely high. The prints I have in there serendipidiously matched
> the ceiling paint which is a very odd shade of green - I had
> purchased
> them 10 years ago or so and they are original art from a lady I have
> met. I collect her work. They're 5-color lino prints, on handmade
> paper. No way am I ever replacing them. :)
>
>> I only think this, of course,
>> because my LLL is a painter and I'm used to seeing some of his large
>> pieces displayed in both large and small spaces. Something 6ft
>> length by 4ft high or 5x3, unframed, would really set off the back
>> wall. Muted shades, unless you really want this wall to POP! But
>> I'm not promoting his work, just saying, I think the wall deserves
>> more. Seek out what you like, but the wall looks rather bare, IMHO.
>>
>> Here's a link to some of his work last year:
>>
>> http://community.webshots.com/album/332698141UtcsuJ

> I have seen his work - very talented! His stuff looks familiar - did
> he ever work the Broadripple Art Fair in Indianapolis? I used ot
> teach
> at the Art League there, and sold my own work at that show (it's an
> excellent show, BTW - or at least used to be).
>
> -L.

I don't remember him ever mentioning Indianapolis but that would be within
the territory of the shows he does up and down the coast.

Anyway I love your house! It's very pretty!

Jill

>> Not only would larger art work bring drama to the room, it needs to
>> be hung a whole lot lower so it relates to the furniture.
>>

> I wasn't going to say so, but that was my first thought. I'm 5'3" and if
> wanted to looked at the pieces in the dining room I'd feel like I needed
> stand on a chair, which of course would be inappropriate :)

Have to admit that immediately after admiring the table, my next thought was
"wow, those prints are way too high!"

Gabby

On Mon 27 Feb 2006 04:02:08p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it -L.?

> jmcquown wrote:
>> >

>> I wasn't going to say so, but that was my first thought. I'm 5'3" and
>> if I wanted to looked at the pieces in the dining room I'd feel like I
>> needed to stand on a chair, which of course would be inappropriate :)
>>
>> Jill

> You don't. I am 5'4" and they are fine. Trust me on this one. ;)
> That photo was taken from the sunken living room. In the photo from
> further away, I was sitting on the couch (#6). Also, what you don't
> see in that room are the two levels of terraced ceiling - the cord on
> the chandelier is about 5 or 6 feet long. So the prints "work"
> placed where they are. It's a "vertical" room.
>
> FFS - I guess I won't be posting any more photos to make a point about
> there not being a lot of room for anything else but dining in the
> dining room, LOL! Anything else you guys want to pick apart?

Given the chance, I'm sure they will. You know this group. :)

--
Wayne Boatwright o¿o

BIOYA