Do you ever smell blood during or after sprints?

DaKitty

Guest
or other hard exertion?
After a few sprints after my heart rate goes up to 180's, I always smell
blood when I exhale.
It's always been like that.
Anyone else notice or experience this?

DaKitty wrote:

> After a few sprints after my heart
> rate goes up to 180's, I always smell
> blood when I exhale.
> It's always been like that.
> Anyone else notice or experience this?

"... it smells like ... Victory!"

Umm, no. Do you get bloody noses often?

I don't feel it when swimming, but sometimes when running, most times
when the air is too cold. It's more a taste of blood in the mouth.

I remember a passage in one of the last chapters of Hemingway's "A
farewell to arms". The character Frederic Henry rows all the night
across Lake Geneva, I think, and in one moment he mentions that he
feels a taste of bile in the mouth (this was the term used in the
traslated version I read). He explains that it is because he did an
exaggerated effort.

(Sorry for my English)

In article <[email protected]>, "DaKitty" <[email protected]> wrote:
>or other hard exertion?
>After a few sprints after my heart rate goes up to 180's, I always smell
>blood when I exhale. [snip]

i don't smell blood when i swim. but i have never really "sprint".

i rarely run anymore. but when i was a student, sometimes i smelt blood when i
ran too hard for too long & my lungs hurt. a classmate of mine was like that.

regards,

Pam @ Home

Cort Furniture Rental and Honesty are two exclusive concepts.

"Man o' Tea" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> DaKitty wrote:
>
> > After a few sprints after my heart
> > rate goes up to 180's, I always smell
> > blood when I exhale.
> > It's always been like that.
> > Anyone else notice or experience this?

> "... it smells like ... Victory!"
>
> Umm, no. Do you get bloody noses often?

Almost never get a bloody nose, once every few years, maybe.
Little bit of sinus problems, low grade chronic sinusitis, it's under
control. No polyps.
My heart rate seems to like to skyrocket rather esily, niot as esy as what I
read in cases of tachicardia, but at sprints, it can go uo to high 190's,
and accordong to karvonen's formula, I shouldn't go much over 180.
With a year and a half of working out 4-7 times a week for 60-90 min, my
resting heart rate hadn't gone much below 70. It's always been hard for me
to keep it low.
My coach is little puzzled, says it's not due to lack of effort. This is not
new, I seem to have always had a hard time with exercise, putting in a lot
of effort, and not getting as much out of it.
Also had a body gem metabolic rate test done, where they figure out your
caloric intake based on your oxygen consumption, and mine was 1960. Pretty
high for a girl. I'm 5'9", 150 lb, 126lb lean body massm, that'sabout 18%
body mass.
Not anemic, not diabetic, thyroid is fine, low cholesterol (140) it's all
been checked about a month ago.
I have beta thallasemia trait with microcytosis. There's no info that I've
been able to find about hiow that impacts exercise and performance. (Pete
Sampras has similar condition) My red blood cell count was little out of
range on the last test (morning, fasting), that could have been a bit of
dehydration...
Thinking about having a cardio pulmonary exercise stress test done, or
whatever it's called.

Teres' some history of hearth arrythmia and heart attacks in my family in
late 40's, not aware of any pulmonary conditions.

Okay, that's a lot of info I dumped here, I suppose in part just thinking
out loud.
I was thinking, nose, sinuses, lungs, digestive system...

I'll have to watch it more closely, if it always haopoens like that,
yesterday when it happened, I started coughing some not too long afterwards,
felt like dry congestion. Like a little asthma attack. To my knowledge, I
don't have asthma, unless I have a touch of exercise induced asthma.

Okay, I think I'm rambling... When something seems broke, I keep wanting to
fix it... now!

news:[email protected]...

<[email protected]> wrote:
> >or other hard exertion?
> >After a few sprints after my heart rate goes up to 180's, I always smell
> >blood when I exhale. [snip]

> i don't smell blood when i swim. but i have never really "sprint".
>
> i rarely run anymore. but when i was a student, sometimes i smelt blood

when i
> ran too hard for too long & my lungs hurt. a classmate of mine was like

that.

> regards,
>
> Pam @ Home

Yeah, it's definitely when I'm breathing really really hard, usually after I
go anaerobic.

<[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I don't feel it when swimming, but sometimes when running, most times
> when the air is too cold. It's more a taste of blood in the mouth.
>
> I remember a passage in one of the last chapters of Hemingway's "A
> farewell to arms". The character Frederic Henry rows all the night
> across Lake Geneva, I think, and in one moment he mentions that he
> feels a taste of bile in the mouth (this was the term used in the
> traslated version I read). He explains that it is because he did an
> exaggerated effort.
>
> (Sorry for my English)

That sounds interesting, and a lot like it.
I asked a bunch of my teammates if they get the same, and they looked at me
like I fell off another planet!
My coach isn't sure what I'm talking about either.
I dunno!

On Tue, 3 May 2005 14:49:31 -0700, "DaKitty" <[email protected]>
wrote:

>or other hard exertion?
>After a few sprints after my heart rate goes up to 180's, I always smell
>blood when I exhale.
>It's always been like that.
>Anyone else notice or experience this?

Do you have sinusitis? I think that can lead to that smell.

"Don Brady" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Tue, 3 May 2005 14:49:31 -0700, "DaKitty" <[email protected]>
> wrote:
>
> >or other hard exertion?
> >After a few sprints after my heart rate goes up to 180's, I always smell
> >blood when I exhale.
> >It's always been like that.
> >Anyone else notice or experience this?
> >

> Do you have sinusitis? I think that can lead to that smell.

Low grade, sort of dry sinusitis.
With sinusitis, wouldn't you notice it other times?
Not the same as when you have a sinus infection.

DaKitty wrote:

> "Man o' Tea" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>
>>DaKitty wrote:
>>

>>>After a few sprints after my heart
>>>rate goes up to 180's, I always smell
>>>blood when I exhale.
>>>It's always been like that.
>>>Anyone else notice or experience this?

>>"... it smells like ... Victory!"
>>
>>Umm, no. Do you get bloody noses often?
>>

> Almost never get a bloody nose, once every few years, maybe.
> Little bit of sinus problems, low grade chronic sinusitis, it's under
> control. No polyps.
> My heart rate seems to like to skyrocket rather esily, niot as esy as what I
> read in cases of tachicardia, but at sprints, it can go uo to high 190's,
> and accordong to karvonen's formula, I shouldn't go much over 180.
> With a year and a half of working out 4-7 times a week for 60-90 min, my
> resting heart rate hadn't gone much below 70. It's always been hard for me
> to keep it low.
> My coach is little puzzled, says it's not due to lack of effort. This is not
> new, I seem to have always had a hard time with exercise, putting in a lot
> of effort, and not getting as much out of it.
> Also had a body gem metabolic rate test done, where they figure out your
> caloric intake based on your oxygen consumption, and mine was 1960. Pretty
> high for a girl. I'm 5'9", 150 lb, 126lb lean body massm, that'sabout 18%
> body mass.
> Not anemic, not diabetic, thyroid is fine, low cholesterol (140) it's all
> been checked about a month ago.
> I have beta thallasemia trait with microcytosis. There's no info that I've
> been able to find about hiow that impacts exercise and performance. (Pete
> Sampras has similar condition) My red blood cell count was little out of
> range on the last test (morning, fasting), that could have been a bit of
> dehydration...
> Thinking about having a cardio pulmonary exercise stress test done, or
> whatever it's called.
>
> Teres' some history of hearth arrythmia and heart attacks in my family in
> late 40's, not aware of any pulmonary conditions.
>
> Okay, that's a lot of info I dumped here, I suppose in part just thinking
> out loud.
> I was thinking, nose, sinuses, lungs, digestive system...
>
> I'll have to watch it more closely, if it always haopoens like that,
> yesterday when it happened, I started coughing some not too long afterwards,
> felt like dry congestion. Like a little asthma attack. To my knowledge, I
> don't have asthma, unless I have a touch of exercise induced asthma.
>
> Okay, I think I'm rambling... When something seems broke, I keep wanting to
> fix it... now!

I just heard someone on another list, a vegetarian list, describe
similar problems with the heartrate not going lower with conditioning,
etc. (she didn't mention any taste of blood--that would be weird on a
veg list). In her case, it WAS anemia. Perhaps your test was more
borderline than your doc let on?

You don't munch on a few live mice at the end of a sprint, do you? That
would explain the smell of blood ;)
Madelaine

"Madelaine" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> [...]

thinking
> > out loud.
> > I was thinking, nose, sinuses, lungs, digestive system...
> >
> > I'll have to watch it more closely, if it always haopoens like that,
> > yesterday when it happened, I started coughing some not too long

afterwards,
> > felt like dry congestion. Like a little asthma attack. To my knowledge,

> > don't have asthma, unless I have a touch of exercise induced asthma.
> >
> > Okay, I think I'm rambling... When something seems broke, I keep wanting

> > fix it... now!
> >

> I just heard someone on another list, a vegetarian list, describe
> similar problems with the heartrate not going lower with conditioning,
> etc. (she didn't mention any taste of blood--that would be weird on a
> veg list). In her case, it WAS anemia. Perhaps your test was more

I looked at the copy of my test, I always get copies. It was not anemic.
That Thallasemia that I mentioned is a form of hereditary anemia though, not
something that could be helped with iron or diet. It makes your red blood
cells smaller (in my case - there are variations of it). They carry all the
oxygen they can, they're jsut bout 80 to 90% of the normal size. My RBC was
high, so it seems like there's more of them, to fill up the volume.
How minor cases of it affect exercise performance is almost not documented
at all.
Major cases of it are a very serious condition, so the treatments address
major cases. Minor cases are not life threathening, so you just live with
it, and by large theu go unnoticed and undocumented.
I guess. It's little frustrating not really knowing.
I don't particularly want to over-stress the heart and lungs if it's of no
benefit... I think constant over-stressing can lead to injury. I'm not sure
though.

> You don't munch on a few live mice at the end of a sprint, do you? That
> would explain the smell of blood ;)

*tee hee*

> I looked at the copy of my test, I always get copies. It was not anemic.
> That Thallasemia that I mentioned is a form of hereditary anemia though, not
> something that could be helped with iron or diet. It makes your red blood
> cells smaller (in my case - there are variations of it). They carry all the
> oxygen they can, they're jsut bout 80 to 90% of the normal size. My RBC was
> high, so it seems like there's more of them, to fill up the volume.
> How minor cases of it affect exercise performance is almost not documented
> at all.
> Major cases of it are a very serious condition, so the treatments address
> major cases. Minor cases are not life threathening, so you just live with
> it, and by large theu go unnoticed and undocumented.
> I guess. It's little frustrating not really knowing.
> I don't particularly want to over-stress the heart and lungs if it's of no
> benefit... I think constant over-stressing can lead to injury. I'm not sure
> though.

This reminds me of my question to my opthamologist about my pigmentary
dispersion syndrome, a condition where the pigment from your iris comes
off in your eye and floats around in the vitreous, sometimes causing
glaucoma, but often totally benign. I asked if this is changing the
color of my eyes--the doctor's answer--"don't know." And they probably
don't care, since eye color isn't really that important.

If you talk to your doc about this, you could be the "case of the week"
at a University Hospital or be written up in a medical journal as a
curiosity.

Smells are a really weird thing--I sometimes smell flowers where there
aren't any and am pretty sure I can tell people apart by smell. The
blood smell could be a brain thing rather than a blood thing. Does it
smell like the salt part of blood or the iron part of blood?
Madelaine

On Wed, 4 May 2005 10:50:04 -0700, "DaKitty" <[email protected]>
wrote:

>> Do you have sinusitis? I think that can lead to that smell.

>Low grade, sort of dry sinusitis.
>With sinusitis, wouldn't you notice it other times?
>Not the same as when you have a sinus infection.

For me, vigorous exercise finally gets all of the cilia moving and I get a
slighly bloody taste/smell at times. I have had sinus surgery a few years
ago....

"Don Brady" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Wed, 4 May 2005 10:50:04 -0700, "DaKitty" <[email protected]>
> wrote:
>
> >> Do you have sinusitis? I think that can lead to that smell.

> >Low grade, sort of dry sinusitis.
> >With sinusitis, wouldn't you notice it other times?
> >Not the same as when you have a sinus infection.

> For me, vigorous exercise finally gets all of the cilia moving and I get

> slighly bloody taste/smell at times. I have had sinus surgery a few

years
> ago....

Hmmm, now you got me thinking!
I do have only partially functioning cilia due to second hand smoke (thanks
dad)

In article <[email protected]>, "DaKitty" <[email protected]> wrote:

>Low grade, sort of dry sinusitis.
>With sinusitis, wouldn't you notice it other times?
>Not the same as when you have a sinus infection.

i also have allergy also when i was little, i had bronchitis. & my lungs are
on the small side. when i get cold or flu, it takes a longer time for me to
heal than most. so my cardiovascular systems & lungs, sinus, are not the
healthest. (one reason i swim)

for me, it seemed to come from inside (lungs) & not from sinus (which is more
up). so i don't think it was sinus bleeding, more like from brochial tubes.
but i never actually saw blood coming out anywhere. it was just like a smell
of iron.

regards,

<[email protected]> wrote:

> >Low grade, sort of dry sinusitis.
> >With sinusitis, wouldn't you notice it other times?
> >Not the same as when you have a sinus infection.

> i also have allergy also when i was little, i had bronchitis. & my lungs

are
> on the small side. when i get cold or flu, it takes a longer time for me

> heal than most. so my cardiovascular systems & lungs, sinus, are not the
> healthest. (one reason i swim)
>
> for me, it seemed to come from inside (lungs) & not from sinus (which is

more
> up). so i don't think it was sinus bleeding, more like from brochial

tubes.
> but i never actually saw blood coming out anywhere. it was just like a

smell
> of iron.

Yeah that's exactly the smell I'm talking about.
I keep thinking maybe it's from sinuses, but it just doesn't seem like it.
It doesn't;t seem to come from the same pace as when I have a sinus
infection, seems to start at the back of my throat, I'm thinking bronchial
tubes.
I used to be very prone to bronchitis, up until a few years ago when I
finally figured out how to watch it very closely and stop every single
little cold and respiratory glitch from turning into bronchial infection.
I really think I need to get a good workup on my heart and lungs, especially
considering I never had one.

On Sat, 7 May 2005 21:40:16 -0700, "DaKitty" <[email protected]>
wrote:

>Yeah that's exactly the smell I'm talking about.
>I keep thinking maybe it's from sinuses, but it just doesn't seem like it.
>It doesn't;t seem to come from the same pace as when I have a sinus
>infection, seems to start at the back of my throat, I'm thinking bronchial
>tubes.
>I used to be very prone to bronchitis, up until a few years ago when I
>finally figured out how to watch it very closely and stop every single
>little cold and respiratory glitch from turning into bronchial infection.
>I really think I need to get a good workup on my heart and lungs, especially
>considering I never had one.

It never hurts to check things out.

If all does check out normally, I would not worry about it.

Maybe it's old scars of some kind finally healing....Maybe it is in the
sinuses, maybe it is in the lungs...Maybe it's normal for a little blood to
leak and most people do not notice it.....Maybe there are some small veins that
can burst .....

I have a feeling that nobody will really be able to say......

In my own case, I get a feeeling that whatever it is, it is more healthy than
unhealthy and is probably a part of some healing process....(As I mentioned I
did have sinus surgery a few years ago and my sinuses are getting better and
better right now.....)