Do you ever smell blood during or after sprints?

Discussion in 'General Fitness' started by DaKitty, May 3, 2005.

  1. DaKitty

    DaKitty Guest

    or other hard exertion?
    After a few sprints after my heart rate goes up to 180's, I always smell
    blood when I exhale.
    It's always been like that.
    Anyone else notice or experience this?

    Tags:

  2. Man o' Tea

    Man o' Tea Guest

    DaKitty wrote:

    > After a few sprints after my heart
    > rate goes up to 180's, I always smell
    > blood when I exhale.
    > It's always been like that.
    > Anyone else notice or experience this?

    "... it smells like ... Victory!"

    Umm, no. Do you get bloody noses often?

  3. I don't feel it when swimming, but sometimes when running, most times
    when the air is too cold. It's more a taste of blood in the mouth.

    I remember a passage in one of the last chapters of Hemingway's "A
    farewell to arms". The character Frederic Henry rows all the night
    across Lake Geneva, I think, and in one moment he mentions that he
    feels a taste of bile in the mouth (this was the term used in the
    traslated version I read). He explains that it is because he did an
    exaggerated effort.

    (Sorry for my English)

  4. Dr. Gee

    Dr. Gee Guest

    In article <[email protected]>, "DaKitty" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >or other hard exertion?
    >After a few sprints after my heart rate goes up to 180's, I always smell
    >blood when I exhale. [snip]

    i don't smell blood when i swim. but i have never really "sprint".

    i rarely run anymore. but when i was a student, sometimes i smelt blood when i
    ran too hard for too long & my lungs hurt. a classmate of mine was like that.

    regards,

    Pam @ Home

    Cort Furniture Rental and Honesty are two exclusive concepts.

  5. DaKitty

    DaKitty Guest

    "Man o' Tea" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > DaKitty wrote:
    >
    > > After a few sprints after my heart
    > > rate goes up to 180's, I always smell
    > > blood when I exhale.
    > > It's always been like that.
    > > Anyone else notice or experience this?

    > "... it smells like ... Victory!"
    >
    > Umm, no. Do you get bloody noses often?

    Almost never get a bloody nose, once every few years, maybe.
    Little bit of sinus problems, low grade chronic sinusitis, it's under
    control. No polyps.
    My heart rate seems to like to skyrocket rather esily, niot as esy as what I
    read in cases of tachicardia, but at sprints, it can go uo to high 190's,
    and accordong to karvonen's formula, I shouldn't go much over 180.
    With a year and a half of working out 4-7 times a week for 60-90 min, my
    resting heart rate hadn't gone much below 70. It's always been hard for me
    to keep it low.
    My coach is little puzzled, says it's not due to lack of effort. This is not
    new, I seem to have always had a hard time with exercise, putting in a lot
    of effort, and not getting as much out of it.
    Also had a body gem metabolic rate test done, where they figure out your
    caloric intake based on your oxygen consumption, and mine was 1960. Pretty
    high for a girl. I'm 5'9", 150 lb, 126lb lean body massm, that'sabout 18%
    body mass.
    Not anemic, not diabetic, thyroid is fine, low cholesterol (140) it's all
    been checked about a month ago.
    I have beta thallasemia trait with microcytosis. There's no info that I've
    been able to find about hiow that impacts exercise and performance. (Pete
    Sampras has similar condition) My red blood cell count was little out of
    range on the last test (morning, fasting), that could have been a bit of
    dehydration...
    Thinking about having a cardio pulmonary exercise stress test done, or
    whatever it's called.

    Teres' some history of hearth arrythmia and heart attacks in my family in
    late 40's, not aware of any pulmonary conditions.

    Okay, that's a lot of info I dumped here, I suppose in part just thinking
    out loud.
    I was thinking, nose, sinuses, lungs, digestive system...

    I'll have to watch it more closely, if it always haopoens like that,
    yesterday when it happened, I started coughing some not too long afterwards,
    felt like dry congestion. Like a little asthma attack. To my knowledge, I
    don't have asthma, unless I have a touch of exercise induced asthma.

    Okay, I think I'm rambling... When something seems broke, I keep wanting to
    fix it... now!

  6. DaKitty

    DaKitty Guest

    news:[email protected]

    <[email protected]> wrote:
    > >or other hard exertion?
    > >After a few sprints after my heart rate goes up to 180's, I always smell
    > >blood when I exhale. [snip]

    > i don't smell blood when i swim. but i have never really "sprint".
    >
    > i rarely run anymore. but when i was a student, sometimes i smelt blood

    when i
    > ran too hard for too long & my lungs hurt. a classmate of mine was like

    that.

    > regards,
    >
    > Pam @ Home

    Yeah, it's definitely when I'm breathing really really hard, usually after I
    go anaerobic.

  7. DaKitty

    DaKitty Guest

    <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > I don't feel it when swimming, but sometimes when running, most times
    > when the air is too cold. It's more a taste of blood in the mouth.
    >
    > I remember a passage in one of the last chapters of Hemingway's "A
    > farewell to arms". The character Frederic Henry rows all the night
    > across Lake Geneva, I think, and in one moment he mentions that he
    > feels a taste of bile in the mouth (this was the term used in the
    > traslated version I read). He explains that it is because he did an
    > exaggerated effort.
    >
    > (Sorry for my English)

    That sounds interesting, and a lot like it.
    I asked a bunch of my teammates if they get the same, and they looked at me
    like I fell off another planet!
    My coach isn't sure what I'm talking about either.
    I dunno!

  8. cardarch

    cardarch Guest

    Could it be the dreaded acid reflux?

  9. Don Brady

    Don Brady Guest

    On Tue, 3 May 2005 14:49:31 -0700, "DaKitty" <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >or other hard exertion?
    >After a few sprints after my heart rate goes up to 180's, I always smell
    >blood when I exhale.
    >It's always been like that.
    >Anyone else notice or experience this?

    Do you have sinusitis? I think that can lead to that smell.

  10. DaKitty

    DaKitty Guest

  11. DaKitty

    DaKitty Guest

    "Don Brady" <[email protected].com> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > On Tue, 3 May 2005 14:49:31 -0700, "DaKitty" <[email protected]>
    > wrote:
    >
    > >or other hard exertion?
    > >After a few sprints after my heart rate goes up to 180's, I always smell
    > >blood when I exhale.
    > >It's always been like that.
    > >Anyone else notice or experience this?
    > >

    > Do you have sinusitis? I think that can lead to that smell.

    Low grade, sort of dry sinusitis.
    With sinusitis, wouldn't you notice it other times?
    Not the same as when you have a sinus infection.

  12. Madelaine

    Madelaine Guest

    DaKitty wrote:

    > "Man o' Tea" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    >
    >>DaKitty wrote:
    >>

    >>>After a few sprints after my heart
    >>>rate goes up to 180's, I always smell
    >>>blood when I exhale.
    >>>It's always been like that.
    >>>Anyone else notice or experience this?

    >>"... it smells like ... Victory!"
    >>
    >>Umm, no. Do you get bloody noses often?
    >>

    > Almost never get a bloody nose, once every few years, maybe.
    > Little bit of sinus problems, low grade chronic sinusitis, it's under
    > control. No polyps.
    > My heart rate seems to like to skyrocket rather esily, niot as esy as what I
    > read in cases of tachicardia, but at sprints, it can go uo to high 190's,
    > and accordong to karvonen's formula, I shouldn't go much over 180.
    > With a year and a half of working out 4-7 times a week for 60-90 min, my
    > resting heart rate hadn't gone much below 70. It's always been hard for me
    > to keep it low.
    > My coach is little puzzled, says it's not due to lack of effort. This is not
    > new, I seem to have always had a hard time with exercise, putting in a lot
    > of effort, and not getting as much out of it.
    > Also had a body gem metabolic rate test done, where they figure out your
    > caloric intake based on your oxygen consumption, and mine was 1960. Pretty
    > high for a girl. I'm 5'9", 150 lb, 126lb lean body massm, that'sabout 18%
    > body mass.
    > Not anemic, not diabetic, thyroid is fine, low cholesterol (140) it's all
    > been checked about a month ago.
    > I have beta thallasemia trait with microcytosis. There's no info that I've
    > been able to find about hiow that impacts exercise and performance. (Pete
    > Sampras has similar condition) My red blood cell count was little out of
    > range on the last test (morning, fasting), that could have been a bit of
    > dehydration...
    > Thinking about having a cardio pulmonary exercise stress test done, or
    > whatever it's called.
    >
    > Teres' some history of hearth arrythmia and heart attacks in my family in
    > late 40's, not aware of any pulmonary conditions.
    >
    > Okay, that's a lot of info I dumped here, I suppose in part just thinking
    > out loud.
    > I was thinking, nose, sinuses, lungs, digestive system...
    >
    > I'll have to watch it more closely, if it always haopoens like that,
    > yesterday when it happened, I started coughing some not too long afterwards,
    > felt like dry congestion. Like a little asthma attack. To my knowledge, I
    > don't have asthma, unless I have a touch of exercise induced asthma.
    >
    > Okay, I think I'm rambling... When something seems broke, I keep wanting to
    > fix it... now!

    I just heard someone on another list, a vegetarian list, describe
    similar problems with the heartrate not going lower with conditioning,
    etc. (she didn't mention any taste of blood--that would be weird on a
    veg list). In her case, it WAS anemia. Perhaps your test was more
    borderline than your doc let on?

    You don't munch on a few live mice at the end of a sprint, do you? That
    would explain the smell of blood ;)
    Madelaine

  13. DaKitty

    DaKitty Guest

    "Madelaine" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
> [...]

    thinking
    > > out loud.
    > > I was thinking, nose, sinuses, lungs, digestive system...
    > >
    > > I'll have to watch it more closely, if it always haopoens like that,
    > > yesterday when it happened, I started coughing some not too long

    afterwards,
    > > felt like dry congestion. Like a little asthma attack. To my knowledge,

    > > don't have asthma, unless I have a touch of exercise induced asthma.
    > >
    > > Okay, I think I'm rambling... When something seems broke, I keep wanting

    > > fix it... now!
    > >

    > I just heard someone on another list, a vegetarian list, describe
    > similar problems with the heartrate not going lower with conditioning,
    > etc. (she didn't mention any taste of blood--that would be weird on a
    > veg list). In her case, it WAS anemia. Perhaps your test was more

    I looked at the copy of my test, I always get copies. It was not anemic.
    That Thallasemia that I mentioned is a form of hereditary anemia though, not
    something that could be helped with iron or diet. It makes your red blood
    cells smaller (in my case - there are variations of it). They carry all the
    oxygen they can, they're jsut bout 80 to 90% of the normal size. My RBC was
    high, so it seems like there's more of them, to fill up the volume.
    How minor cases of it affect exercise performance is almost not documented
    at all.
    Major cases of it are a very serious condition, so the treatments address
    major cases. Minor cases are not life threathening, so you just live with
    it, and by large theu go unnoticed and undocumented.
    I guess. It's little frustrating not really knowing.
    I don't particularly want to over-stress the heart and lungs if it's of no
    benefit... I think constant over-stressing can lead to injury. I'm not sure
    though.

    > You don't munch on a few live mice at the end of a sprint, do you? That
    > would explain the smell of blood ;)

    *tee hee*

  14. Madelaine

    Madelaine Guest

    > I looked at the copy of my test, I always get copies. It was not anemic.
    > That Thallasemia that I mentioned is a form of hereditary anemia though, not
    > something that could be helped with iron or diet. It makes your red blood
    > cells smaller (in my case - there are variations of it). They carry all the
    > oxygen they can, they're jsut bout 80 to 90% of the normal size. My RBC was
    > high, so it seems like there's more of them, to fill up the volume.
    > How minor cases of it affect exercise performance is almost not documented
    > at all.
    > Major cases of it are a very serious condition, so the treatments address
    > major cases. Minor cases are not life threathening, so you just live with
    > it, and by large theu go unnoticed and undocumented.
    > I guess. It's little frustrating not really knowing.
    > I don't particularly want to over-stress the heart and lungs if it's of no
    > benefit... I think constant over-stressing can lead to injury. I'm not sure
    > though.

    This reminds me of my question to my opthamologist about my pigmentary
    dispersion syndrome, a condition where the pigment from your iris comes
    off in your eye and floats around in the vitreous, sometimes causing
    glaucoma, but often totally benign. I asked if this is changing the
    color of my eyes--the doctor's answer--"don't know." And they probably
    don't care, since eye color isn't really that important.

    If you talk to your doc about this, you could be the "case of the week"
    at a University Hospital or be written up in a medical journal as a
    curiosity.

    Smells are a really weird thing--I sometimes smell flowers where there
    aren't any and am pretty sure I can tell people apart by smell. The
    blood smell could be a brain thing rather than a blood thing. Does it
    smell like the salt part of blood or the iron part of blood?
    Madelaine

  15. Don Brady

    Don Brady Guest

    On Wed, 4 May 2005 10:50:04 -0700, "DaKitty" <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >> Do you have sinusitis? I think that can lead to that smell.

    >Low grade, sort of dry sinusitis.
    >With sinusitis, wouldn't you notice it other times?
    >Not the same as when you have a sinus infection.

    For me, vigorous exercise finally gets all of the cilia moving and I get a
    slighly bloody taste/smell at times. I have had sinus surgery a few years
    ago....

  16. DaKitty

    DaKitty Guest

    "Don Brady" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > On Wed, 4 May 2005 10:50:04 -0700, "DaKitty" <[email protected]>
    > wrote:
    >
    > >> Do you have sinusitis? I think that can lead to that smell.

    > >Low grade, sort of dry sinusitis.
    > >With sinusitis, wouldn't you notice it other times?
    > >Not the same as when you have a sinus infection.

    > For me, vigorous exercise finally gets all of the cilia moving and I get

    > slighly bloody taste/smell at times. I have had sinus surgery a few

    years
    > ago....

    Hmmm, now you got me thinking!
    I do have only partially functioning cilia due to second hand smoke (thanks
    dad)

  17. Dr. Gee

    Dr. Gee Guest

    In article <[email protected]>, "DaKitty" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Low grade, sort of dry sinusitis.
    >With sinusitis, wouldn't you notice it other times?
    >Not the same as when you have a sinus infection.

    i also have allergy also when i was little, i had bronchitis. & my lungs are
    on the small side. when i get cold or flu, it takes a longer time for me to
    heal than most. so my cardiovascular systems & lungs, sinus, are not the
    healthest. (one reason i swim)

    for me, it seemed to come from inside (lungs) & not from sinus (which is more
    up). so i don't think it was sinus bleeding, more like from brochial tubes.
    but i never actually saw blood coming out anywhere. it was just like a smell
    of iron.

    regards,

    regards,

    Pam @ Home

    Cort Furniture Rental and Honesty are two exclusive concepts.

  18. DaKitty

    <[email protected]> wrote:

    > >Low grade, sort of dry sinusitis.
    > >With sinusitis, wouldn't you notice it other times?
    > >Not the same as when you have a sinus infection.

    > i also have allergy also when i was little, i had bronchitis. & my lungs

    are
    > on the small side. when i get cold or flu, it takes a longer time for me

    > heal than most. so my cardiovascular systems & lungs, sinus, are not the
    > healthest. (one reason i swim)
    >
    > for me, it seemed to come from inside (lungs) & not from sinus (which is

    more
    > up). so i don't think it was sinus bleeding, more like from brochial

    tubes.
    > but i never actually saw blood coming out anywhere. it was just like a

    smell
    > of iron.

    Yeah that's exactly the smell I'm talking about.
    I keep thinking maybe it's from sinuses, but it just doesn't seem like it.
    It doesn't;t seem to come from the same pace as when I have a sinus
    infection, seems to start at the back of my throat, I'm thinking bronchial
    tubes.
    I used to be very prone to bronchitis, up until a few years ago when I
    finally figured out how to watch it very closely and stop every single
    little cold and respiratory glitch from turning into bronchial infection.
    I really think I need to get a good workup on my heart and lungs, especially
    considering I never had one.

  19. Don Brady

    Don Brady Guest

    On Sat, 7 May 2005 21:40:16 -0700, "DaKitty" <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >Yeah that's exactly the smell I'm talking about.
    >I keep thinking maybe it's from sinuses, but it just doesn't seem like it.
    >It doesn't;t seem to come from the same pace as when I have a sinus
    >infection, seems to start at the back of my throat, I'm thinking bronchial
    >tubes.
    >I used to be very prone to bronchitis, up until a few years ago when I
    >finally figured out how to watch it very closely and stop every single
    >little cold and respiratory glitch from turning into bronchial infection.
    >I really think I need to get a good workup on my heart and lungs, especially
    >considering I never had one.

    It never hurts to check things out.

    If all does check out normally, I would not worry about it.

    Maybe it's old scars of some kind finally healing....Maybe it is in the
    sinuses, maybe it is in the lungs...Maybe it's normal for a little blood to
    leak and most people do not notice it.....Maybe there are some small veins that
    can burst .....

    I have a feeling that nobody will really be able to say......

    In my own case, I get a feeeling that whatever it is, it is more healthy than
    unhealthy and is probably a part of some healing process....(As I mentioned I
    did have sinus surgery a few years ago and my sinuses are getting better and
    better right now.....)

  20. me

    me Guest

    no, never.