Do you feel the difference?

willocrew

May 27, 2006
For all you roadies out there who are using on Ultegra and DuraAce and all that high end gearing. I've heard about the durability factor, but what exactly is the difference in feel?

1)People just say that it is smoother. But what exactly is smoother?

Is it a smooth non clicky feel when you spin the cranks?? Or is it smooth only when you shift gears?

2)I'm on Tiagra and when i use my hand to spin the pedal i can hear a rough contact sound between my chain and gears. Maybe its dirty, maybe its out of alignment... or maybe its maybelline. **** no just kidding. Maybe its just Tiagra?

Hints, tips 5 cents anyone?

willocrew said:
For all you roadies out there who are using on Ultegra and DuraAce and all that high end gearing. I've heard about the durability factor, but what exactly is the difference in feel?

1)People just say that it is smoother. But what exactly is smoother?

Is it a smooth non clicky feel when you spin the cranks?? Or is it smooth only when you shift gears?

2)I'm on Tiagra and when i use my hand to spin the pedal i can hear a rough contact sound between my chain and gears. Maybe its dirty, maybe its out of alignment... or maybe its maybelline. **** no just kidding. Maybe its just Tiagra?

Hints, tips 5 cents anyone?
I have ridden bikes with Ultegra, Dura Ace, and own one with 105. They were all 10-speed setups. they all felt exactly the same but I went with 105 because it is cheaper, stiffer, more robust and I don't care about 600g. The excess $ went into my beloved DT Wheels. And Ultegra has a cheap finish which is closer to Tiagra's, 105 is closer to DA.

bobbyOCR said:
I they all felt exactly the same .
Yeh, straight form the shop.. things change.. dura-ace stays strong, the others age quicker... I've got one sora bike, one ultegra bike and one dura-ace. Dura-ace is miles above ultegra!! The braking is better, the shifting needs no tweaking even after many a mile...but it's all price relative.. Ultegra is great value for money.

Jono L said:
Yeh, straight form the shop.. things change.. dura-ace stays strong, the others age quicker... I've got one sora bike, one ultegra bike and one dura-ace. Dura-ace is miles above ultegra!! The braking is better, the shifting needs no tweaking even after many a mile...but it's all price relative.. Ultegra is great value for money.
Yes but do you have the new 105, the opinion has been that 105 shifts better than Ultegra and is more durable.

The funny thing about Shimano that amazes me is that at all levels in their span of gruppos, there is great quality. Honestly, if I was blind folded and asked to ride a bike with DA and another with Ultegra, I bet I couldn't tell the difference. They both shift really smoothly. My friend who has a shop has most of the road bikes built with Shimano 105 because its a good place to start with a budget. :rolleyes:

bobbyOCR said:
Yes but do you have the new 105, the opinion has been that 105 shifts better than Ultegra and is more durable.

carbonguru said:
The funny thing about Shimano that amazes me is that at all levels in their span of gruppos, there is great quality. Honestly, if I was blind folded and asked to ride a bike with DA and another with Ultegra, I bet I couldn't tell the difference. They both shift really smoothly. My friend who has a shop has most of the road bikes built with Shimano 105 because its a good place to start with a budget. :rolleyes:
I love how people 'think' Dura Ace is miles above Ultegra and 105. Maybe thats the extra $1000 thinking for them.....;)

carbonguru said:
Honestly, if I was blind folded and asked to ride a bike with DA and another with Ultegra, I bet I couldn't tell the difference...
As already discussed in a separate discussion somewhere on the web, this kind of double blinded product testing has led to the premature demise of all testers. Hence the lack of objective data on this and similar subject matters. :eek:

carbonguru said:

Yup, most people could never tell with comparably aged components. Ultegra is the highest I'd ever pay for, most likely 105 is more than adequate. D/A is nice, but it's light and as a dear departed former member of this forum was always pointing out ... light stuff breaks sooner. (RIP Syndney Boudreaux)

I just built a winter 9 speed beater bike with USED 105 parts. Not patting myself on the back, but I have this sucka shifting smoother than many of my pals D/A 10 speeds. Why? Because most people don't take the time to learn how to maintain their bikes properly. Now they could always just take it to their LBS .........

capwater said:
Yup, most people could never tell with comparably aged components. Ultegra is the highest I'd ever pay for, most likely 105 is more than adequate. D/A is nice, but it's light and as a dear departed former member of this forum was always pointing out ... light stuff breaks sooner. (RIP Syndney Boudreaux)

I just built a winter 9 speed beater bike with USED 105 parts. Not patting myself on the back, but I have this sucka shifting smoother than many of my pals D/A 10 speeds. Why? Because most people don't take the time to learn how to maintain their bikes properly. Now they could always just take it to their LBS .........
I have to maintain all of my gear. I set up everything, and even starting wheelbuilding. It is the single best way to save money and tune your bike.

Used 105 is fine, the only reason I got 10-speed is because of the crank, the bling, and it was very cheap at the time.

carbonguru said:
Honestly, if I was blind folded and asked to ride a bike with DA and another with Ultegra, I bet I couldn't tell the difference.
I'd like to see anybody try a blind folded cycling test, I doubt you'd have any time to test the shifting before testing the pavement!

My local LBS surprised me when he said DA is LESS durable than Ultegra (softer lighter materials?). I might have to take a closer look at the 105 gear next time I'm there if the finish is closer to DA, I think my girlfriend's Ultegra has a cheap look to it (powdercoat not anodized like my campy)

What is the weight difference between each group set?

There is not much difference between Dura Ace and Ultegra.....there is a night and day difference between DA/Ultegra and 105.

Not the latest 10speed 105 , Shimano is stupid not changing the name because people remember how low-end 105 was only 3 or so years ago ..

caferacerwanabe said:
Not the latest 10speed 105 , Shimano is stupid not changing the name because people remember how low-end 105 was only 3 or so years ago ..
I agree there is absolutely no difference in performance between the 2007 10-speed 105 and the 2006 Ultegra.

willocrew said:
No healthy bottom end should be clicky.

I'm on Tiagra and when i use my hand to spin the pedal i can hear a rough contact sound between my chain and gears.
Well there should be some noise, but excess noise could alignment or a bad bottom bracket. Pull your cranks and feel the BB bearings.

As for comparison with the higher end groups, I think it's pointless. When your car develops a bad U-joint, do you start asking about whether a new transmission and rear end would make it stop shuddering? Better to fix what's wrong with it. :p

caferacerwanabe said:
Three years ago? 105's are low end period for Shimano. There is a difference. I have not used the 2007 105's but if there was not a difference why make them to fit a price point? There is a difference. The difference may be getting blurred as the line matures and it may not be worth your money but there is a difference.

At what point did they upgrade the 105? Would you have to get a 2007 or would the 2006 production bikes have the upgraded version?

bladegeek said:
Three years ago? 105's are low end period for Shimano. There is a difference. I have not used the 2007 105's but if there was not a difference why make them to fit a price point? There is a difference. The difference may be getting blurred as the line matures and it may not be worth your money but there is a difference.
The difference is in weight and appearance. There is no difference in function.

lauzon4 said:
At what point did they upgrade the 105? Would you have to get a 2007 or would the 2006 production bikes have the upgraded version?
As far as I know, all 10 speed 105 are the upgraded versions. I do not know about the 9 speeds.

RickF said:
As far as I know, all 10 speed 105 are the upgraded versions. I do not know about the 9 speeds.
So can I assume that a few years ago all 105s were 9 speed and sometime in the last year or so the 105 was upgraded or changed to a 10 speed?

Sorry for what are probably very basic questions, but I have only recently become serious enough about cycling that I feel like I might be able to appreciate upgrading.

DA has a definite 'luxurious' quality to the shifting which I do notice; but I'd agree it's not necaserily worth the money. The Frame is much more important .. I'd say I notice frame stiffness much more.
I'd heard it was LESS durable, as it's machined to finer tolerances.