Do you find anti inflammatory gel effective?

lisasian86

May 27, 2016
I always try to have a stock of Ibuprofen gel but I don't always find it very effective and tend to opt for tablets instead which work well for me, do you use the gel and do you find it works?

I don't rate the gel very highly at all, and I also prefer to use the tablets. I can get really painful shins sometimes, and when I talk to the doctor about it she always recommends I use ibuprofen gel. But whenever I've tried, it simply doesn't work. It's not even remotely effective for me. I think the instructions are usually unnecessarily vague too, so you don't know whether you've applied too little or too much. I've never heard someone say it's worked for them either. They are supposed to be better than tablets because you apply them directly to the area that needs treatment... but I've never heard anyone say they have found ibuprofen gel helpful.

Reactions: lisasian86
I completely agree, I've been told to use it for a knee injury and for shin splints when I was running and it didn't help me at all, and because I was using it I couldn't take the tablets aswell. I also agree about the instructions, it doesn't give any indication about how much you are supposed to use and it's also really expensive compared to 19 pence for a pack of tablets.

I completely agree, I've been told to use it for a knee injury and for shin splints when I was running and it didn't help me at all, and because I was using it I couldn't take the tablets aswell. I also agree about the instructions, it doesn't give any indication about how much you are supposed to use and it's also really expensive compared to 19 pence for a pack of tablets.
I have heard it several times. Most people tend to buy the cheaper gels but I would never recommend you to buy the cheaper ones because they are not so effective. Always buy the gel of any reputed company. I always choose the expensive ones because they are of good quality.

I do use the gels for mild pain or inflammation but when I can no longer tolerate them, that's the time I opt for the oral form of inflammatories. I just have this attitude of trying out the topical drug forms first before trying out the oral forms.

Never used gel, only diclofenac pottasium in 50 mg pills. Never tried ati inflammatory gel before, but overall topical ointments are good as analgesic. About ati infammatory properties I can't really tell, feel free to share your experience with us.

I actually make my own anti inflammatory oil for muscle and joint pain with clove, copaiba, peppermint, eucalyptus, and marjoram essential oils diluted in almond oil. It works absolute wonders. I'm also very diligent about proper nutrition to help with inflammatory issues. As active as I am at my age fighting inflammation is an ongoing thing.

I always try to have a stock of Ibuprofen gel but I don't always find it very effective and tend to opt for tablets instead which work well for me, do you use the gel and do you find it works?
The percentage dose in gel is very low and lot of the 'effect' is from the counter irritant feeling rather than anti inflammatory. Tablets are much more effective but don't down them too regularly as in the long run NSAIDs - non steroidal anti inflammatory drugs, can affect kidney function. Short answer- Gels aren't that good

I always use a liniment whenever I get a body ache, when I get a sore leg I use liniments, in my experience liniments works faster because it's easily absorbed through the skin, I use oil based liniments. My favorites are Omega Pain Killer, and Pau liniments. Sometimes I also use Efficacent.
IMG_20180406_025030_019.jpg
IMG_20180406_025112_928.jpg
IMG_20180406_025341_449.jpg

When it comes to oral painkillers, I don't drink pure ibuprofen, tried it but it doesn't work that good to me. What I'm taking is called Ibuprofen Paracetamol, I'm using Alaxan.

I had tried almost all available ointment, oil, gel and even patch for the swollen muscle of my leg. The most effective for me is the Efficascent Oil, that green oil which soothes the muslce. When the swelling appear on my right leg, I would treat it with hot compress for 5 minutes before applying efficascent oil with a mild rubbing until the heat penetrated the flesh. The best time is during bedtime so the leg will have a full rest. And on the next morning, the swelling have subsided.

There's this new product I'm using, it doesn't have any scent and it's not greasy at all, it's also colorless its active ingredient is Lidocaine and it comes from a trusted pharmaceutical japanese manufacturer. The name of the product is Salonpas, it has 2 variants, a spray and and a roll on. It was very effective, I tried it a couple of nights back for an aching elbow joint and the pain was gone in less than a minute.
IMG_20180406_165615_377.jpg
IMG_20180406_165626_353.jpg