Do you greet other cyclists?

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Mike Ayling

I was talking to one of my chronologically challenged club mates and he said that in the "good old
days" in England there were two kinds of cyclists, Roadies and Tourists and they always greeted
other cyclists when passing.

My experience in 2003 is that about half of the cyclists that I meet reply to my greeting or wave.

Do you greet other cyclists?

If not why not?

Mike

Well i always acknowledge other riders ....I don't understand why others do not do it. Sometimes its
a bit of a pick me up to see someone else out there (maybe even doing it hard)

Ride on "Mike Ayling" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I was talking to one of my chronologically challenged club mates and he said that in the "good old
> days" in England there were two kinds of cyclists, Roadies and Tourists and they always greeted
> other cyclists when passing.
>
> My experience in 2003 is that about half of the cyclists that I meet reply to my greeting or wave.
>
> Do you greet other cyclists?
>
> If not why not?
>
>
> Mike

Well i always acknowledge other riders ....I don't understand why others do not do it. Sometimes its
a bit of a pick me up to see someone else out there (maybe even doing it hard)

Ride on "Mike Ayling" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> I was talking to one of my chronologically challenged club mates and he said that in the "good old
> days" in England there were two kinds of cyclists, Roadies and Tourists and they always greeted
>
> My experience in 2003 is that about half of the cyclists that I meet reply to my greeting or wave.
>
>
> If not why not?
>
>
> Mike

Absolutely I do... I also will stop and donate glueless patches and the loan of a pump if people
have a flat, and no repair kit...

Having said that, the favor has never been returned....

"Mike Ayling" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>
>
>
> If not why not?
>
>
> Mike

> Do you greet other cyclists? If not why not?

I do probably 90% of the time. I will voice a greeting when I pass someone and nod or wave when I
see someone on the other side of the road.

If someone passes me, they are usually flying so there's not much chance for a greeting.

Greeting everyone on Beach Rd. would be tiring so that doesn't happen.

I wont offer a greeting to someone who, say, passes me by going through a red light - that's usually
the que for me to chase 'em down :)

hip

I found that very few of the cyclists here (S.A) will return the gesture. I moved back from Sydney
and was somewhat surprised, Not the way I remember it. I get more response from people walking than
on bikes :( I must just be unlucky :(

AJS

P.S I am just a normal looking guy, I don't ride naked and am not scary in any way so I really don't
know what it is.

>
>
>
> If not why not?
>
>
> Mike

I rarely greet other cyclists in my area because my area is largely populated by 12-17yo BMX riding dlinquents who cause havoc (More havoc than me doing my Urban Assault stuff) and whom I generally don't have any respect for. :) :eek:

Yes,

I greet them with my horn when I come up behind them .... heh heh...

"A-J-S" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>
> I found that very few of the cyclists here (S.A) will return the gesture.
I
> moved back from Sydney and was somewhat surprised, Not the way I remember it. I get more response
> from people walking than on bikes :( I must just be unlucky :(

Nope, we are just very subtle!! More of a wink and a nod than a wave.

Gemma

Mike Ayling wrote:

Sometimes. I see the same faces most days on my way to work, not so many on the way home, 'cos its
dark. Some say hello, some nod, sometimes someone warns about floods/mud/dogs ahead.

Greetings that I've used in the past week include:

- g'day
- *KEEP LEFT!!*
- 'morning
- *KEEP LEFT!!!!*
- _nod_
- *KEEP LEFT!!!!*
- *TRY THAT ON THE ROAD AND YOU WILL DIE, YOU IDIOT*
- #@$$%^^^

The last was to the rider who chose to ride down the middle of an unlit "shared path" with a red
flashing light on his handlebars.

> If not why not?

Maybe I don't feel like it.

> Mike
Adrian

---------------------------------------------------------------
Adrian Tritschler mailto:[email protected] Latitude 38°S, Longitude 145°E,
Altitude 50m, Shoe size 44
---------------------------------------------------------------

I wave, nod or say hello to roadies, but not generally MTB riders as I rarely get a reply from them...I live in Sydney so maybe all us roadies here are just super friendly...

I'm talking about the nod. Nearly always the nod. No nodding back. Maybe I just nod to Noddies who
don't nod back ? Walkers nod, few riders. I even tried different nods. Stoping below the "He's
having a fit" level of nodding. Few nod back :(

AJS

(Nodded out)

"Gemma Kernich" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
>
> "A-J-S" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> >
> > I found that very few of the cyclists here (S.A) will return the
gesture.
> I
> > moved back from Sydney and was somewhat surprised, Not the way I remember it. I get more
> > response from people walking than on bikes :( I must just be unlucky :(
>
> Nope, we are just very subtle!! More of a wink and a nod than a wave.
>
> Gemma

I wave/show hand to riders on the other side of dual carriageway on fun rides. Commuting, I don't.
And on the shared paths, just things like "keep left", "don't stop ON the path"

[email protected] ===> Aiee ! Penguins on the Starboard Bow

When I was a cycle courier in Sydney I would sometimes say hello to the weekend warriors on their
way to/from the office, generally they just ignored me. I guess you can take the man out of the
suit, but you can't take the suit out of the man. The bicycle cops are always good to say hello to,
on the whole they seem a pretty happy bunch. I guess it's a good break in the routine for them.

Loki wrote:

> I rarely greet other cyclists in my area because my area is largely populated by 12-17yo BMX
> riding dlinquents who cause havoc (More havoc than me doing my Urban Assault stuff) and whom I
> generally don't have any respect for. :) :eek:
>

What is Urban Assault? Sounds very American ....

- LB

> The bicycle cops are always good to say hello to, on the whole they seem a pretty happy bunch. I
> guess it's a good break in the routine for them.

I feel really bad when I see them on a **** bike :(

AJS

"Luther Blissett" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> When I was a cycle courier in Sydney I would sometimes say hello to the weekend warriors on
> their way to/from the office, generally they just ignored me. I guess you can take the man out
> of the suit, but you can't take the suit out of the man. The bicycle cops are always good to say
> hello to, on the whole they seem a pretty happy bunch. I guess it's a good break in the routine
> for them.

I usually do say something if I am overtaking or am overtaken and again usually at least nod to
people on the other side of the road.

However I suppose it depends how old your chum is but if he is in his 50's like me then you have to
remember that in England in our teens the roads were a lot narrower than most roads now so
acknowledging someone on the other side of the road was much easier. When they are 4 or 6 lanes away
you need semaphore not a nod of the head.

Status
Not open for further replies.