Do you greet other cyclists?

Discussion in 'Australia and New Zealand' started by Mike Ayling, May 25, 2003.

  1. Mike Ayling

    Mike Ayling Guest

    I was talking to one of my chronologically challenged club mates and he said that in the "good old
    days" in England there were two kinds of cyclists, Roadies and Tourists and they always greeted
    other cyclists when passing.

    My experience in 2003 is that about half of the cyclists that I meet reply to my greeting or wave.

    Do you greet other cyclists?

    If not why not?

    Mike

    Tags:

  2. Colnagodream

    Colnagodream Guest

    Well i always acknowledge other riders ....I don't understand why others do not do it. Sometimes its
    a bit of a pick me up to see someone else out there (maybe even doing it hard)

    Ride on "Mike Ayling" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I was talking to one of my chronologically challenged club mates and he said that in the "good old
    > days" in England there were two kinds of cyclists, Roadies and Tourists and they always greeted
    > other cyclists when passing.
    >
    > My experience in 2003 is that about half of the cyclists that I meet reply to my greeting or wave.
    >
    > Do you greet other cyclists?
    >
    > If not why not?
    >

    > Mike

  3. Colnagodream

    Colnagodream Guest

    Well i always acknowledge other riders ....I don't understand why others do not do it. Sometimes its
    a bit of a pick me up to see someone else out there (maybe even doing it hard)

    Ride on "Mike Ayling" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I was talking to one of my chronologically challenged club mates and he said that in the "good old
    > days" in England there were two kinds of cyclists, Roadies and Tourists and they always greeted
    > other cyclists when passing.
    >
    > My experience in 2003 is that about half of the cyclists that I meet reply to my greeting or wave.
    >
    > Do you greet other cyclists?
    >
    > If not why not?
    >

    > Mike

  4. Absolutely I do... I also will stop and donate glueless patches and the loan of a pump if people
    have a flat, and no repair kit...

    Having said that, the favor has never been returned....

    "Mike Ayling" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I was talking to one of my chronologically challenged club mates and he said that in the "good old
    > days" in England there were two kinds of cyclists, Roadies and Tourists and they always greeted
    > other cyclists when passing.
    >
    > My experience in 2003 is that about half of the cyclists that I meet reply to my greeting or wave.
    >
    > Do you greet other cyclists?
    >
    > If not why not?
    >

    > Mike

  5. visser

    visser New Member

    Joined:
    May 24, 2003
    i aways give a nod or a wave

  6. Hippy

    Hippy Guest

    "Mike Ayling" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Do you greet other cyclists? If not why not?

    I do probably 90% of the time. I will voice a greeting when I pass someone and nod or wave when I
    see someone on the other side of the road.

    If someone passes me, they are usually flying so there's not much chance for a greeting.

    Greeting everyone on Beach Rd. would be tiring so that doesn't happen.

    I wont offer a greeting to someone who, say, passes me by going through a red light - that's usually
    the que for me to chase 'em down :)

    hip

  7. A-J-S

    A-J-S Guest

    I found that very few of the cyclists here (S.A) will return the gesture. I moved back from Sydney
    and was somewhat surprised, Not the way I remember it. I get more response from people walking than
    on bikes :( I must just be unlucky :(

    AJS

    P.S I am just a normal looking guy, I don't ride naked and am not scary in any way so I really don't
    know what it is.

    "Mike Ayling" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I was talking to one of my chronologically challenged club mates and he said that in the "good old
    > days" in England there were two kinds of cyclists, Roadies and Tourists and they always greeted
    > other cyclists when passing.
    >
    > My experience in 2003 is that about half of the cyclists that I meet reply to my greeting or wave.
    >
    > Do you greet other cyclists?
    >
    > If not why not?
    >

    > Mike

  8. Loki

    Loki New Member

    Joined:
    Mar 9, 2003
    I rarely greet other cyclists in my area because my area is largely populated by 12-17yo BMX riding dlinquents who cause havoc (More havoc than me doing my Urban Assault stuff) and whom I generally don't have any respect for. :) :eek:

  9. Awe

    Awe New Member

    Joined:
    May 25, 2003
    Yes,

    I greet them with my horn when I come up behind them .... heh heh...

  10. "A-J-S" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > I found that very few of the cyclists here (S.A) will return the gesture.
    > moved back from Sydney and was somewhat surprised, Not the way I remember it. I get more response
    > from people walking than on bikes :( I must just be unlucky :(

    Nope, we are just very subtle!! More of a wink and a nod than a wave.

    Gemma

  11. Mike Ayling wrote:

    > I was talking to one of my chronologically challenged club mates and he said that in the "good old
    > days" in England there were two kinds of cyclists, Roadies and Tourists and they always greeted
    > other cyclists when passing.

    > My experience in 2003 is that about half of the cyclists that I meet reply to my greeting or wave.

    > Do you greet other cyclists?

    Sometimes. I see the same faces most days on my way to work, not so many on the way home, 'cos its
    dark. Some say hello, some nod, sometimes someone warns about floods/mud/dogs ahead.

    Greetings that I've used in the past week include:

    - g'day
    - *KEEP LEFT!!*
    - 'morning
    - *KEEP LEFT!!!!*
    - _nod_
    - *KEEP LEFT!!!!*
    - *TRY THAT ON THE ROAD AND YOU WILL DIE, YOU IDIOT*
    - #@$$%^^^

    The last was to the rider who chose to ride down the middle of an unlit "shared path" with a red
    flashing light on his handlebars.

    > If not why not?

    Maybe I don't feel like it.

    > Mike
    Adrian

    Adrian Tritschler mailto:[email protected] Latitude 38°S, Longitude 145°E,
    Altitude 50m, Shoe size 44

  12. Chester1

    Chester1 New Member

    Joined:
    Mar 16, 2003
    I wave, nod or say hello to roadies, but not generally MTB riders as I rarely get a reply from them...I live in Sydney so maybe all us roadies here are just super friendly...

  13. A-J-S

    A-J-S Guest

    I'm talking about the nod. Nearly always the nod. No nodding back. Maybe I just nod to Noddies who
    don't nod back ? Walkers nod, few riders. I even tried different nods. Stoping below the "He's
    having a fit" level of nodding. Few nod back :(

    AJS

    (Nodded out)

    "Gemma Kernich" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

    > "A-J-S" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > >
    > > I found that very few of the cyclists here (S.A) will return the
    gesture.
    > > moved back from Sydney and was somewhat surprised, Not the way I remember it. I get more
    > > response from people walking than on bikes :( I must just be unlucky :(
    >
    > Nope, we are just very subtle!! More of a wink and a nod than a wave.
    >
    > Gemma

  14. Andre S .

    Andre S . Guest

    I wave/show hand to riders on the other side of dual carriageway on fun rides. Commuting, I don't.
    And on the shared paths, just things like "keep left", "don't stop ON the path"

    [email protected] ===> Aiee ! Penguins on the Starboard Bow

  15. Stu

    Stu Guest

    l ride a MTB and have the same problem with roadies lol

  16. Rob

    Rob Guest

  17. When I was a cycle courier in Sydney I would sometimes say hello to the weekend warriors on their
    way to/from the office, generally they just ignored me. I guess you can take the man out of the
    suit, but you can't take the suit out of the man. The bicycle cops are always good to say hello to,
    on the whole they seem a pretty happy bunch. I guess it's a good break in the routine for them.

  18. Loki wrote:

    > I rarely greet other cyclists in my area because my area is largely populated by 12-17yo BMX
    > riding dlinquents who cause havoc (More havoc than me doing my Urban Assault stuff) and whom I
    > generally don't have any respect for. :) :eek:

    What is Urban Assault? Sounds very American ....

    - LB

  19. A-J-S

    A-J-S Guest

    > The bicycle cops are always good to say hello to, on the whole they seem a pretty happy bunch. I
    > guess it's a good break in the routine for them.

    I feel really bad when I see them on a crap bike :(

    AJS

    "Luther Blissett" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > When I was a cycle courier in Sydney I would sometimes say hello to the weekend warriors on
    > their way to/from the office, generally they just ignored me. I guess you can take the man out
    > of the suit, but you can't take the suit out of the man. The bicycle cops are always good to say
    > hello to, on the whole they seem a pretty happy bunch. I guess it's a good break in the routine
    > for them.

  20. Cody

    Cody Guest

    "Mike Ayling" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I was talking to one of my chronologically challenged club mates and he said that in the "good old
    > days" in England there were two kinds of cyclists, Roadies and Tourists and they always greeted
    > other cyclists when passing.

    I usually do say something if I am overtaking or am overtaken and again usually at least nod to
    people on the other side of the road.

    However I suppose it depends how old your chum is but if he is in his 50's like me then you have to
    remember that in England in our teens the roads were a lot narrower than most roads now so
    acknowledging someone on the other side of the road was much easier. When they are 4 or 6 lanes away
    you need semaphore not a nod of the head.