Do you greet other cyclists?

Originally posted by Chester1
I wave, nod or say hello to roadies, but not generally MTB riders as I rarely get a reply from them...I live in Sydney so maybe all us roadies here are just super friendly...

I think this is possibly because a mtb is available to a wider variety of people i.e. someone that rides once every six months and doesnt get into the whole bike lifestyle thing...

Also, real mtb riders will be in the bush anyway, and unlikely to bump into (and therefore wave to) roadies so the point is moot.

On bicycle cops:

A-J-S wrote:

> I feel really bad when I see them on a **** bike :(

Same here, you'd think they would spend the extra money on something decent for them. I purchased my
Cannondale f900 based on a recommendation from the US - that model is regarded as standard for cops,
and was even available with Police markings! I'm a big guy, (193cm, 100kgs+), so I needed something
that could take the punishment for the courier work, having snapped 4 frames in 8 months! So I feel
sorry for the Sydney cops on their barely adequate bikes .. hate to have something fail at the wrong
moment, could be very messy. I'm surprised the Police Association hasn't pushed for something
better, or maybe they don't know the risks their members are taking.

- LB

coz real MTB riders have a teleport machine and don't have to ride to the bush & back

from what l have seen, the people that are least likely to nod are roadies with the flash bike and
the "fully sponsored" gear

also, real roadies will be in france anyway, and unlikely to bump into (and therefore wave to) MTB
rides, so the point is moot. ;)

"stu" <[email protected]> wrote in news:[email protected]:

> coz real MTB riders have a teleport machine and don't have to ride to the bush & back

A lot of the ones I see that ride at the tracks behind the back of my place have their bikes in the
back of the <insert carrying vehicle of choice
here>

Personally I enjoy the commute just as much but a longer commuet makes for a shorter off road ride
(well for me it does anyhoo) :), eg the ride down to Pallaranda is 40 km return, so the off road bit
is the uphill/downhill 3km bit through the NP at the end of the 20 km section to get there :)

Trevor S

The bicycle cops in melb get Kona Pahoehoe. now that is a cool bike i think i just like kona's lol

My experience in 2003 is that about half of the cyclists that I meet
: reply to my greeting or wave.
:
: Do you greet other cyclists?
:

Definitely. Vocally with a wave and a nod if I can do all. I get a bit shitted when people ignore me
back. I find it to be a little pleasantry in this ugly world that people can still be civilised.

Cheers Pete (With a nod, wink, a wave and a g'day mate)

visser wrote:
> The bicycle cops in melb get Kona Pahoehoe. now that is a cool bike i think i just like kona's lol

I'm sure the bicycle cops in <self-censored for paranoia reasons> were riding a Repco or something
of simillar Huffy-ness. When I was working in a pub there some cops came in and asked for a donation
"to the bicycle fund". An offer was made to buy them a decent bike rather than give them $$$ ..
didn't go down too well!

Mike Ayling wrote:
> I was talking to one of my chronologically challenged club mates and he said that in the "good old
> days" in England there were two kinds of cyclists, Roadies and Tourists and they always greeted
> other cyclists when passing.
>
> My experience in 2003 is that about half of the cyclists that I meet reply to my greeting or wave.
>
> Do you greet other cyclists?
>
> If not why not?
>

> Mike

I often get acknowledged by other roadies when I'm Lycra'ed up on my road bike, but never when
tooling around in shorts/jeans on my daggy hybrid. Guess those guys are just *selectively* friendly
(wonder if living in the Eastern Suburbs has anything to do with it?).

&roo

always when overtaking (if I have any breath to spare)

Seems polite .

Besides its always nice to say hi to the pretty girls and to just say hi to em would be sleasy so I
say hi to everyone :)

Don't always get a response tho still thats their prob not mine

Dave