Do you have a bad travel exprience?

nuocmy89

Jul 8, 2009
I have a nightmare in Hanoi and Sapa
In Hanoi we got in a taxi with a corrupt taxidriver, his meter was running twice as we were really driving and when we wanted to stop, the driver threatened us with a stick. He wanted the money for the distance he had already driven (20.000 dong for 500 meter).
There were 3 hotels with the same name in a row in Hanoi. We had booked one and the one we walked in said we had to wait until 8 am before we could get the room with window for 15 dollar (which they also said in a reservation e-mail). We could wait in a small other room without window (which they did not say in their e-mail; it said we had to wait in the lobby and could use the internet there). So when I asked about this internet at 8 am, they took me to the hotel with the same name next door. There I asked about the room and got the room for the price they e-mailed me. When I wanted to pick up my luggage, the first hotel charged me 15 dollar for the room! For just 3 hours without any using of the toilet or shower. And the room with window costs 15 dollar, so the room without should be less right? No, also 15 dollar. Great.
In Sapa my friend got hit by a car. He was protecting his head by raising his arm (cars were racing by on the road really close). His hand touched a outside mirror of a passing car and the mirror folded inward (like you sometimes do when you park your car on a busy road). The driver got mad and wanted 4 million dong (300 dollar) for his broken window (which wasn't broken at all). He grabbed a stone and wanted to throw it at my friend when he refused to pay. Thank god there were more people there to help him, because this would have escalated badly otherwise. An English guy and his Vietnamese wife passed by and talked to us and them. She said that the driver said that we were just rich Westerners and that we could well pay a 100 dollars. The English guy guy told us this happens everyday over there. So this is how some North Vietnamese make a living.
This is our experience and I am sure there are much more nice Vietnamese than bad ones, but take this as a warning. Be careful not to get hit by a car, because you have to pay for it.

wow what an experience. I have worked with some vietnamese and cambodian people here in the USA and they were all very nice folks. Probably because their parents were bright enough to leave their backwards country. If I were your friend I would of laughed in the silly gooks face if that and or just walked away. If he gave me any more trouble I would of punched him in the face before he even knew what hit and wouldn't stop until he was on the ground flopping like a fish. Believe it or not I'm a pretty nice guy but I wouldn't put up with that kind of treatment at all. Honestly I wouldn't even visit that part of the world anyway, their food sucks. Blood soup and dog meat are delicacies amongst commoners, WTF? It would be cool to visit the country sides where the hemp grows wild but I think my money would be better spent in a more sophisticated society where the hemp and sex are regulated by the government for my touristy consumption. Yep I'd be thinking Amsterdam.

ajri02 said:
This really a shame with Vietnamese because Hanoi is the Vietnam's capital.
But I think you would be better if traveling in the South of Vietnam: from Hue to Hochiminh, people are more friendly, polite...
I have a good time in Phanthiet maybe one of the best beach and the people is very warm. Mui Nee is beautiful and INEXPENSIVE
And I think you need check info anyplaces in vietnam before go to.
Why don't you search on
lonelyplanet vietnam ,
vietnam beach guide,
Free Travel Blog to Share your Trips - TravelPod...and Google certainly

Thank but I will never come back

I was legally robbed by the first person I had a conversation with, in Sofia, Bulgaria. He's the yellow cab driver from the airport to my Hotel. He spoke fluent English and seemed a friendly guy. Situation changed when we reached our destination. I asked him how much is the fare, and he used his fingers pointing at the meter. It reads 90+ Leva (about USD67). Not believing it's the actual cost, I asked again in plain, simple, courteous English, he refused to reply, gesturing at the meter. OK, I gave him 100 leva, hoping for change. He pocketed it and just sat there looking away. Not wanting to create a scene, I let him go.

Subsequently, I checked with the Hotel front desk (it's Hilton International), and I was even more surprised to hear from the receptionist that it's completely legal, though she admitted it could be on the high side. A normal fare to the airport would be 15 to 20 leva. Obviously, that rouge cab driver's meter was tempered with.

Asked how could that be legal, the receptionist readily replied with a poker face that it's because I agreed to use the meter. WTF!!

Really spoilt my 4 days stay there. Paranoid of taxis. Then again, inevitably I have to take cabs to get around. I've always have to ask the estimated fare whenever I hopped into one. Luckily and abnormally, the rest of my rides are fair.

Also noticed Bulgarians do not speak English if you asked them for directions or help along the way. BUT! if they were to sell you something or ask for donations, they can speak very fluent English. Amusing!!

Sorry if there are Bulgarians reading this. It's just the truth, and it hurts, I understand. I stand to be debunked if you'll like to voice out.