Do you have a bike repair stand?

mysrh

Apr 2, 2006
As the title said.

Also when you clean your bike, will a bike repair stand help make things easier?

Is more expensive stand any better than the cheapy one?

mysrh said:
As the title said.

Also when you clean your bike, will a bike repair stand help make things easier?

Stand: Ultimate Pro

Cleaning: in the stand, and it does make things a wee bit easier. Cleaning less frequently makes my life a whole lot easier.

You get what you pay for.

A cheap repair stand is almost useless. Get the best stand that you can afford. I am speaking from experience as I have had both.

As the others say, pay for a good one. I would recommend one in which a clamp is used to attach your bike (eg Park Tools). This is far more flexible as you can attach the bike via the top tube, seat tube, upside down etc depending on what part of the bike you are working on. The other type simply supports your stand; usually from the bottom bracket and along the down tube near the forks. They might also come with a 'clamp' to stop the front wheel from spinning. I don't find this type to be as flexible to use.
I like to use the stand as it means less bending down when working on the bottom bracket, cranks, pedals, deraillleurs and so on.

I have an Ultimate Pro. Works great and makes cleaning and adjusting a lot easier than not having any stand at all.

I would not buy a really cheap, flimsy stand but I think the mid-range stands work about as well as the top end stands do.

You can sometimes find the Ultimate Pro on sale for around $140 USD, which is about the regular cost of the Consumer model.

mysrh said:
As the title said.

\
============================================================
No.
Three bikes, ride through the winter and find cleaning/tuning simple without one.

It would cost and take up room in my garage.

Cleaning - for the monthly - put bike up against the back fence, spray on biodegradeable degreaser, leave for a few minutes and hose off. Wait until bike is dry and wipe over with a clean rag and re lube.
Stand needed - no.

+1 for the Ultimate Pro. When folded, it takes up no more space than a folding "bag chair". At 54, I do not like sitting on the ground to clean and adjust the drivetrain. The Ultimate Pro puts the work high enough that I do not need to bend over.

Mine is a homebuilt made of cast iron with a park tools clamp attached. I think I got the clamp second hand from a bike shop for $20 and invested less than $25 at lowes for the rest. It bolts securely to my workbench and I can clamp the bike in any position I want with a quick adjustment on the stand angle. Cast iron is cooler looking than painted alu any day of the week! Cleaning is a snap when you can flip the bike in seconds to get to the drivetrain. When I don't need it, I simply remove the bolts and hang it on the wall next to the bike. It actually takes me less time to get it set up then any of the commercial models I've seen. Not a solution I can take on the road though.

Is it possible to get a stand like the bike shops have installed? The kind where the pole gets inserted into the ground. That would be pretty sweet to have in your garage or something, eh?

Bigbananabike said:
find cleaning/tuning simple without one.

It would cost and take up room in my garage.

Cleaning - for the monthly - put bike up against the back fence, spray on biodegradeable degreaser, leave for a few minutes and hose off. Wait until bike is dry and wipe over with a clean rag and re lube.
Stand needed - no.

Yeah, I guess I would find cleaning & tuning simple without a bike stand too ...if I had a garage and a fenced-in back yard.

But in the Dining Room of my 4th floor apartment, a bike stand is a necessity. And +1 to Robert Gardner who said "A cheap repair stand is almost useless. Get the best stand that you can afford."

Syrio Forel said:
Is it possible to get a stand like the bike shops have installed? The kind where the pole gets inserted into the ground. That would be pretty sweet to have in your garage or something, eh?
Park PRS-2 OS dual clamp or the Park PRS-3 OS single clamp. There's a bunch of other brands or who pro / workshop type stands too..

Bob Ross said:
Yeah, I guess I would find cleaning & tuning simple without a bike stand too ...if I had a garage and a fenced-in back yard.

But in the Dining Room of my 4th floor apartment, a bike stand is a necessity. And +1 to Robert Gardner who said "A cheap repair stand is almost useless. Get the best stand that you can afford."

Have ya ever torn down a Harley engine on the coffee table? :D

Xsmoker said:
Have ya ever torn down a Harley engine on the coffee table? :D
Almost, a 45 WLA on a laminex kitchen table, around 1970... :D a rental property, of course..

That's what my bike is currently sleeping in
Why not use it for cleaning and tune ups? :rolleyes:

A stand certainly makes life easier, for general maintenance, repairs or washing down your bike. I took an old bike rack, the type that fitted on the tow bar and made a bracket to mount it to the wall. Conveinetlly placed at the garage door so all the tools i need is in reach and i have a tap and hose right there.

a good stand will last you a long time. i got my stand from my dad, who had it for 14 years before i got it (last year). its one of the old grey park stands. i think they investment was worth it.

I looked into them and found them to be very expensive for the good ones, so I used my noggin and came up with a homemade deal made out of a row exercise machine a neighbor was tossing. It's a two part system, the first part folds up to the ceiling when not in use, and the foldaway stand holds the front wheel while the bike is in the air. It works excellent and saves space in my shop. ;)