Do you keep a log of your training?

Discussion in 'Cycling Training' started by Veater, Jun 9, 2016.

1. Veater

Veater New Member

I was wondering if anyone keeps a log of their training. Perhaps you use a diary or a journal, or are registered with an online site which tracks it for you? I know that you can get apps that do the trick too. But some people might prefer to just use their instincts to monitor their progress.

What do you do?

Tags:

2. sharkantropo

sharkantropo Member

Of course. When I had a training habit for anaerobics and aerobics workouts. This is how I kept track of my progress:

• Fill out each section of the log each day to get the full benefit.
    • Wrote the date (day of week, month, day, year) and time of workout in the appropriate sections.

• Write down in the section marked "Cardio" when completed.
    • Mood: Somedays I have zero disposition to workout. I wrote these days down to see how can I make up for his in the future.
    • Exercise: name of the exercise I am performing.
    • Set #1, Set #2, etc.: Wrote the weight and reps that I did for the first set here. If I did 200 pounds for 10 reps, simply wrote "200 X 10".
    • Length Of Workout: Write down how long the workout took from start to finish.
    • Comments: How did the workout go? What happened that was interesting? Learn anything? Wrote it all here!
    • How much miles was the ride and location.

Veater likes this.
  3. Froze

Froze Well-Known Member

No, I want to ride for fun and fitness without all the headaches, if I did all that tracking stuff than cycling becomes a chore, a job, and I don't want that right now. I keep my basic stuff like mileage, speed, interval training stuff in my head.

4. SkerleeWerg

SkerleeWerg Member

I just started riding again this weekish, so no lol :) Great suggestion though, but I'm not really you know, training training. Just getting back into the swing of things, suppose it wouldnt hurt to take a few notes though.

5. neednoexcuse

neednoexcuse Member

I think the log is one of the most important things that you should keep. I always keep a log of my training sessions.

6. neednoexcuse

neednoexcuse Member

I don't think logs are 'headache'. I can't believe you train without keeping a log. I think you should start keeping a log.

7. Corzhens

Corzhens Well-Known Member

I am not in training for my riding is for pleasure and health only. But I used to log my rides when I first started to join riding groups. I would time myself when I join and take note of when I left the group (usually to go home). That is not really training but sort of since I wanted to keep track of my riding if I am gaining ground. Included in the log is my stamina if I felt tired or very tired. Sometimes I read the log at night and it excites me with the challenge of the thought that I can still improve.

8. Froze

Froze Well-Known Member

I hear you, and when I use to race we did all of that, and because we did all of that I have an ok brain, not the best brain in the world, but ok enough for me to keep a log in my brain. At this point and time I don't want to come home and spend another 30 minutes or so downloading stuff and reviewing stuff, to me that's work and I don't want that in my cycling life at this time. If I decide, and this a big IF, to go back into racing, which will only happen when I retire if it happens at all, then I'll consider getting a bike computer that does that sort of thing and keep a track of stuff because then I'll be retired and that will be my new job. Right now I have to many jobs, I have my regular job and I have my property business job and I just don't want to add another.

I doubt if that makes sense to anyone, it's just how I'm wired.

9. CAMPYBOB

CAMPYBOB Well-Known Member

Online with Garmin and STRAVA, on the cloud with Bike Journal, hard drive w/DVD backup using BikeLog 2.0 and day planner.

10. neednoexcuse

neednoexcuse Member

Well, I don't think keeping a log is as difficult as you think. You are thinking it as a hard job but it will take less time than you think. It's really not a 'job' that you call it. The time that you spend in making and managing a log is worth it in my opinion. Many people do it and keep it as a standard record of their training sessions.

11. 9lines

9lines Member

I never used to track my training sessions till I learnt about it's advantages. A training journal has helped me maintain my training pattern which has improved my competitiveness. It has also made me to be confident whenever I train, with the aim of becoming the best. One is also motivated whenever they keep a training log. It is really important for every cyclist to keep a training log.

12. zipp2001

zipp2001 Well-Known Member

I've kept a training and racing log since I started in 1979 and I'm old school and have it in written form in several binders. I do have a general log in spreadsheet form that just has basic info, where my paper log is more detailed per ride. In my racing days it was a very useful tool, and it still has it's benefits in my older years. Besides its good to sit down on a stormy day and look back once and a while and think back to some of my fun races and old riding partners.

13. gontxo_nos

gontxo_nos New Member

I use Garmin Connect and Strava. Now, I have a Blog where I post all my training ;).

14. Chris T

Chris T New Member

Yes definitely keep a log of my training. Just mark it on the wall planner , the old fashioned way.

15. Felt_Rider

Felt_Rider Active Member

I suppose I would count WKO 3 as the main training log, but I also log on my blog, uploads to WKO 4, Strava Premium, Garmin Connect and Xertonline. Most of these automatically sync to the other applications so I am not actually spending much time uploading data.

Most of these are just to evaluate different training applications.

During my years of competing in lifting I kept hand written logs. It was always helpful to look back at what I was eating and various milestones.

16. glenncz

glenncz Member

I have a spreadsheet where I keep track of weekly, monthly and total mileage. Along w/ distance for all rides, and then mph and ascent and ascent ft/mi for many of my rides. Then I have another table where I keep course records for about 15 major rides that i do. i use mph as the baseline, not time to track all my rides. The i have another spreadsheet where I have a table for years and months so i can compare how i'm doing to prior years.

17. pedalbiker

pedalbiker New Member

I race at a pretty competitive level, but I don't keep a log or anything. I did have all my power files, but have lost even those.

At some point you've trained enough that you know what works and what doesn't. I don't need to look back at what I've done in the past to know what I need to do in the future. Besides, it's not wholly relevant anyway. What would work back then isn't going to provide the same stimulus now. I have another season in my legs with thousands more miles and hundreds more workouts. I also have new responsibilities outside of cycling that I have to account for. My training is fluid and dynamic and has to be or I wouldn't do it anymore.

If I do exactly what I did two years ago, the most I'd expect is to reach the same level with the possibility of being at an even lower level due to a lower stimulus. Instead I take this last season's race performances and figure out where I could improve and plan out ways to do that.