Do you know right from wrong?

BlindedJohn

Mar 26, 2009
Hey.

Are you using wood right? Did you know that it's actually okay to chop woods - but not to burn it because of the CO2 pollution? This is a new video that tells you about it:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ni4Cy9gLsPs"]YouTube - Use Wood Right[/ame]

True that - the video is pretty pro-wood industry. The valid point they have though is - that if wood can be used as building material or recycled then it should be used for that instead of being burned...

I am all for recycling of all materials : however in some instance, some wood needs be burned.

Personally I try at all time to maximise my recycling and minimise my carbon footprint (use public transport/walk/cycle whenever possible, turn off applicances at their socket, minimise use of the families cars, teach the family to be eco-responsible etc).

We’re all aware of the huge level of indiscriminate destruction of forests throughout the world.
Amazon rainforest being a case in point.

Good reminder, john

limerickman said:
I am all for recycling of all materials : however in some instance, some wood needs be burned.

Personally I try at all time to maximise my recycling and minimise my carbon footprint (use public transport/walk/cycle whenever possible, turn off applicances at their socket, minimise use of the families cars, teach the family to be eco-responsible etc).

We’re all aware of the huge level of indiscriminate destruction of forests throughout the world.
Amazon rainforest being a case in point.

Good reminder, john

Yeah, some wood is just too old and can't be recycled and then it's way better to burn that instead of fossil fules! :) You got a good point with the "educational" or "teaching" part. We can all do something to help the environment.

Goose5 said:
I am at a disadvantage. When has CO2 been classified as a pollutant?

CO2 isn't technically a pollutant. Its ever increasing fraction in the atmosphere correlates with increased global temps. It is one of the greenhouse gasses. It's likely that with increasing global warming and CO2 levels, more people will die from the increasing CO2 levels, as well as the resulting increasing temps (and its products: crop migration, drought, disease migration and epidemics,.........). So call it what ever you want. Increased CO2 levels are as big a threat as pollution......unless you work for the oil industry, invest in the oil industry, do research for the oil industry, belong to the Flat Earth Society, or cannot, in general, wrap your head around objective scientific research and results.

Goose5 said:
CO2 is not a pollutant. Okay. Its a greenhouse gas. How does that work?

How does that work? Uhm, the answer's a bit long for an internet forum. If you're serious about your question, you can search Wikipedia, NASA, NOAA, NWS, use Google Scholar to pick out research on greenhouse gases and global warming. If you're not serious, try making a point.

Global Warming? Hey, I want my share of that. It has been too darn cold around here lately. I had to scrape frost off of my windsheild this morning and it is only mid-November.

Why does everyone pick on fossil fuels? I think that wine should be banned, the fermentation process generates CO2. (all tongue in cheek of course).

CO2 is actually necessary for the circle of life on this planet although too much of it will produce a greenhouse effect. Simply put - we breathe CO2 out and trees breathe it in, the trees then breathe out oxygen for us to breathe in.

CO2 is actually necessary for the circle of life on this planet although too much of it will produce a greenhouse effect.
How do we know how much is too much?

Such emotion in response to two very elemental questions. How can you be so certain an environmental cataclysm is just around the corner if substantive answers to two simple questions are avoided?

Goose5 said:
Such emotion in response to two very elemental questions. How can you be so certain an environmental cataclysm is just around the corner if substantive answers to two simple questions are avoided?

No questions are being avoided, although you're doing your best to mask your intentions. If your intent is to learn about global warming, again, you have do a lot more reading, and an internet forum isn't the place for that reading. If your intent is just to stir the pot, well, then be up front about it. If for some reason you don't believe in global warming--like perhaps you disagree with the vast majority of climatologists--then have the stones to say so. It is simple. No one's emotional. By claiming people are emotional, that lends credence to the idea that you're here just to stir the pot.

alienator said:
No questions are being avoided, although you're doing your best to mask your intentions.

I am masking nothing. I am simply asking questions. Questions that have been responded to, but not quite answered. Yes, my intention is to get you to reveal why it is that you believe whatever it is that you believe. And yes, when that happens I will respond. It is called debate. I would rather hear about what you think. If you classify that as "stirring the pot." That's fine. If you are not interested in defending your position on this issue let me know. I will quietly withdraw. If you prefer a different set of questions I can provide that too.

Question 1. CO2 is a greenhouse gas. How does that work?
Question 2. (In reference to CO2) How do we know how much is too much?

Goose5 said:
I am masking nothing. I am simply asking questions. Questions that have been responded to, but not quite answered. Yes, my intention is to get you to reveal why it is that you believe whatever it is that you believe. And yes, when that happens I will respond. It is called debate. I would rather hear about what you think. If you classify that as "stirring the pot." That's fine. If you are not interested in defending your position on this issue let me know. I will quietly withdraw. If you prefer a different set of questions I can provide that too.

As I suspected, you're playing games. Sorry, I don't play your games. If you've got ideas, share them.

Goose5 said:

You act like a troll, but on the very, very remote chance that your an actual inquisitive person, here:

1. Greenhouse gases are gases that emit radiation in the far infrared region of the radiation spectrum. FIR is considered to be thermal radiation. Note, the gases do this as a function of their temperature, so they'll emit radiation as a function of the atmospheric temperature. They'll emit at higher temperatures as a result of radiation incident on the Earth's atmosphere from outer space. Moreover they emit radiation at a higher temp as a result of albedo radiation: radiation, from the sun, reflected by the Earth's surface, vegetation, cities, and so on. How the gasses emit energy is defined by the Planck equation (given in attachment), whereh is Planck's constant, 6.62607x10^(-34) J sec; c is the speed of light, 2.99792x10^8 m/sec; λ is the wavelength of light (radiation emitted by gas) in meters; and n is the index of refraction of the gas. M is the radiant exitance of the gas (how much power, watts, it emits per m^2, where the area is the area of the gas atom.). The subscript, BBλ, tells you that the calculation is a black body radiation calculation in wavelength space. If you want you can use this equation with liquids and solids, too, to see how they optically respond (an optical response in the LIR is a thermal response), but for absorbing media (metals, crystalline solids, some liquids, and etc) you'll have to use the modulus of the complex index of refraction. You have to use MKS units, and temperature must be given in Kelvin. One thing to bear in mind is that the equation never goes to zero, except at absolute zero, at which point atomic motion stops and ν becomes zero. Good luck getting to absolute zero. Second, as a black body, the gas will emit radiation at all wavelengths. The take home message, though, is to make plots at various temperatures and notice how with increasing temperature, the center wavelength of radiation emitted moves to the right, toward longer wavelengths, increasing the emissions at LIR.

The heavy response to radiation in the LIR spectrum makes CO2 rather opaque to LIR. This means that at night when things are cooling off, emitting LIR, that LIR is absorbed and re-emitted by the atmosphere. It follows from this that more CO2 means more LIR emission from greenhouse gasses. That is indisputable. It's all in the well vetted equations.

If you want to know why greenhouse gasses are particular good at radiating LIR, you need to find eigen values for the emitted radiation wavelength by solving Schroedinger's equation for each particular gas. That gets complicated.

2. How much is too much? That depends on who you talk to. James Hansen, an expert in the field, 385 parts per million is that point. Other scientists aren't sure where the exact tipping point is, but there is agreement that there is such a point. The Second Law of Thermodyamics guarantees will get to that point a lot more quickly, if you continue about energy consumption in the time honored fashion, i.e. wastefully. The Second Law, S = kLn(ω), says as the number of possible energy states, ω, increases the chaos in the system, S (entropy) increases (k is Boltzman's constant). Increasing entropy shows up mostly as an increase in temperature (This is, BTW, why you can't cool your house by opening the refrigerator door.). With increasing population and greenhouse gas emissions, the number of possible energy states only increases. The Second Law guarantees that the Earth cannot buffer the excess heat generated from inefficient human processes indefinitely. That would require an infinite amount of energy, and even then, it wouldn't work.

It follows from research data that we are closing in on the tipping point. The rates of some processes, like ice cap melting, glacial treat....are increasing in rate.

I suppose we could do the Republican/conservative thing and just push a solution to some point in the future and hope it's our kids that have to deal with the problem, not us, but that seems a patently ignorant path to follow, given what the science predicts. The "we can't afford it" or "it'll hurt the economy" arguments fail because the economies are going to take huge hits as global warming continues to increase.

That's a short, off the cuff answer, Troll. It's not a google recitation. It's basic information from my fields of study, optics and physics.

Now was that so hard. Part one of your presentation is well done. Not much to dispute there. About the only thing to add is a bit of perspective. Now I get into trouble around here for asking questions so the next series of questions are directed at myself and no one else.

1. How much CO2 is in the system at any one given time? Roughly 800 GT. That sounds like a lot. In an atmosphere that weighs 6 million billion tons its not so much. Only .04% of our atmosphere is made up of CO2. It is a trace gas.

2. How much of the IR spectrum does CO2 interact with? Only 8 percent.

H2OCO2Spectra-1.jpg

This spectroscopy study of CO2. As you can see of the total IR spectrum CO2 only interacts with roughly 8 percent. Water vapor is tossed in for comparison. If this entire atmosphere was only CO2 it would still only interact with 8 percent of the spectrum. So, the role of CO2 is further diminished because it is pretty picky about what wavelength it interacts with. Scientist suggest that CO2 is evenly distributed in the atmosphere. Only CO2 close to the ground can possibly be responsible for warming the atmosphere. So yet another sizable percentage of .04 percent is disqualified. Further reducing its role.

Now we know that what ever happens with CO2 heat is not reflected. A reflection is not possible within just gas (atmosphere.) Just liquid. Or, just metal. A reflection happens at the surface between lets say air and water. That means the heat is absorbed. Energy doesn’t just pop up out of the blue. So, what happens to make that molecule give up that heat? Re-emission is not reaction and can in no way heat up the ground-level air against the actual heat flow without mechanical work. Another Second Law application warm air must rise. In the process cooling the heated CO2 molecules along with any other molecules. What is lacking in the hypothesis is what is the mechanism (work) that keeps the heat warming the lower atmosphere. With a greenhouse that mechanism is a physical barrier. Glass. The prevents conduction and convection two huge cooling mechanisms in our physical system.

I am not exactly certain where your part two 2nd Law argument is going. The 2nd Law is not required to show that “the Earth cannot buffer the excess heat generated from inefficient human processes indefinitely.” This is a consequence of the First Law. And, a word about your political/enviro slogan: “inefficient human processes”. No process involving heat can be made efficient; this is the heart of the 1st Law.

James Hansen thinks 385 ppm is the tipping point. It is interesting to note that CO2 levels 250 million years ago were 2000 ppm. To about 150 million years ago they peaked at 3000 ppm and that level has tapered off to the levels today. Now that is well above Hansen’s tipping point. Did anything tip? We are currently in a carbon starved world right now. I think a more interesting scientific study would be why those levels consistently have fallen for the last 150 million years. Hansen has a PhD in physics. He is not a climatologist. In the area of his climate computer models he is consistently wrong.