Do YOU lift weigts?

Status
Not open for further replies.
<[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> > You are after all just trying to improve upper body for cycling, not get huge, and bulk up, and
> > add body weight.
>
> No.....Im not trying to get HUGE..... but I do want some more bulk and a better V shape

Weight training will do that for you. If you don't know much about it, then the best bet for you
would probably be a gym to start. Try to find one that you can join without a contract. Once you
learn what, and how, then consider your options at home. By having weight equipment at home, you're
much less likely to skip out on working out, using the excuse of not having the time to make the
trip to the gym.

>Weight training will do that for you. If you don't know much about it, then the best bet for you
>would probably be a gym to start. Try to find one that you can join without a contract. Once you
>learn what, and how, then consider your options at home. By having weight equipment at home, you're
>much less likely to skip out on working out, using the excuse of not having the time to make the
>trip to the gym.

Well I do have a local YMCA that I can join at a discount thru work.

Problem is I only get an hour for lunch. I would have to really hustle to drive to the Y.... change
out...... lift..... dress again...and then drive to work all in one hr.

I know I could lift before or after work..... but exercising at noon seems to be most agreeable with
me. Im too rushed in the AM.....and just don't have any interest in doing ANYTHING after work.

"voodoo" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
>
> <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> > > You are after all just trying to improve upper body for cycling, not get huge, and bulk up,
> > > and add body weight.
> >
> > No.....Im not trying to get HUGE..... but I do want some more bulk and a better V shape
>
> Weight training will do that for you. If you don't know much about it,
then
> the best bet for you would probably be a gym to start. Try to find one
that
> you can join without a contract. Once you learn what, and how, then
consider
> your options at home. By having weight equipment at home, you're much less likely to skip out on
> working out, using the excuse of not having the time to make the trip to the gym.
>
>

by having the equipment at home you are much more inclined to use fit for excess laundry storage.

Penny

> I know I could lift before or after work..... but exercising at noon seems to be most
> agreeable with me. Im too rushed in the AM.....and just don't have any interest in doing
> ANYTHING after work.

a work out after work will make you feel a LOT better. Youmight have to force yourself to go for a
while, but if you stick with it , you WILL feel better

Penny (FORMER gym rat and body builder)

> >Weight training will do that for you. If you don't know much about it,
then
> >the best bet for you would probably be a gym to start. Try to find one
that
> >you can join without a contract. Once you learn what, and how, then
consider
> >your options at home. By having weight equipment at home, you're much
less
> >likely to skip out on working out, using the excuse of not having the
time
> >to make the trip to the gym.
>
> Well I do have a local YMCA that I can join at a discount thru work.
>
This could work.

> Problem is I only get an hour for lunch. I would have to really hustle to drive to the Y....
> change out...... lift..... dress again...and then drive to work all in one hr.
>
No need to do this.

> I know I could lift before or after work..... but exercising at noon seems to be most
> agreeable with me. Im too rushed in the AM.....and just don't have any interest in doing
> ANYTHING after work.

Get up earlier. I spent a winter a few years back getting up at 4 AM to work out, plus dieting to
lose weight. My riding was limited to weekends as usual, but I still tried to ride when I could. By
the spring, I was down to 180 lbs, and much stronger in the upper body. Of course this does nothing
to help your overall cycling fitness, and mine sucked. This time around, things will be different.
The emphasis will be on riding, and getting fit.

Penny wrote:

> a work out after work will make you feel a LOT better. Youmight have to force yourself to go for a
> while, but if you stick with it , you WILL feel better

With the recent heat, I've taken to going out in the mornings. Quite enjoying it.

> Penny (FORMER gym rat and body builder)

Body builder?! Got to see pics of that. Were you bright orange?

>a work out after work will make you feel a LOT better.

True.....I agree

>Get up earlier. I spent a winter a few years back getting up at 4 AM to work out, plus dieting to
>lose weight.

Yeah..... that is the other option.

But uugghhhh...... Im already getting up at 545 am......and hate the idea of getting up any
earlier....especialy in the bleak cold dark Missouri winters. lol

"Penny" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
>
> Penny (FORMER gym rat and body builder)
>
No kidding? About 15 or so years ago I was into it real hard, with my training partners, D-bol, and
Deca. I have since decided to never invite them to any of my workouts again. I wish though, I had
the legs today, like I had back then.

> >Get up earlier. I spent a winter a few years back getting up at 4 AM to
work
> >out, plus dieting to lose weight.
>
> Yeah..... that is the other option.
>
> But uugghhhh...... Im already getting up at 545 am......and hate the idea of getting up any
> earlier....especialy in the bleak cold dark Missouri winters. lol

Yeah, that did kind of suck. There were a few mornings in the 20s where I got up, bundled up, and
worked out on the back porch. It was great motivation to "super-set", just to stay warm.

[email protected] wrote:
>>Weight training will do that for you. If you don't know much about it, then the best bet for you
>>would probably be a gym to start. Try to find one that you can join without a contract. Once you
>>learn what, and how, then consider your options at home. By having weight equipment at home,
>>you're much less likely to skip out on working out, using the excuse of not having the time to
>>make the trip to the gym.
>
>
> Well I do have a local YMCA that I can join at a discount thru work.
>
> Problem is I only get an hour for lunch. I would have to really hustle to drive to the Y....
> change out...... lift..... dress again...and then drive to work all in one hr.
>
> ANYTHING after work.

You can get some decent weight lifting done in 30 minutes, but don't rush the lifting too much. You
do need a few minutes to warm up gradually, but you can cool down and stretch on your way back to
work, and at work (if you have a desk job).

--
--
Lynn Wallace http://www.xmission.com/~lawall "I'm not proud. We really haven't done everything we
could to protect our customers. Our products just aren't engineered for security." --Microsoft VP in
charge of Windows OS Development, Brian Valentine.

"voodoo" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
>
> "Penny" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> >
> > Penny (FORMER gym rat and body builder)
> >
> No kidding? About 15 or so years ago I was into it real hard, with my training partners, D-bol,
> and Deca. I have since decided to never invite them to any of my workouts again. I wish though, I
> had the legs today,
> I had back then.
>

I must be waaaay older than you.

Cory and Rachel... and I was the lone female lifter for 100's of miles in the state of Wyoming...

Biking gives you great legs. All I know is I stood in front of the mirror one day, thinking to
myself, "the point of this is what now exactly? Surely there must be other ways to still be strong
for sports...."

Penny

"Penny" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
>
> "voodoo" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> >
> > "Penny" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> > >
> > > Penny (FORMER gym rat and body builder)
> > >
> > No kidding? About 15 or so years ago I was into it real hard, with my training partners, D-bol,
> > and Deca. I have since decided to never invite them to any of my workouts again. I wish though,
> > I had the legs today,
> like
> > I had back then.
> >
>
> I must be waaaay older than you.
>
I'll be 42 September 11th.

> Cory and Rachel... and I was the lone female lifter for 100's of miles in the state of Wyoming...
>
The lone female body builder in our gym could bench more than me, even when I was juicing. She was
bad ass!! She had also been doing it longer, and juiced as well.

> Biking gives you great legs. All I know is I stood in front of the mirror one day, thinking to
> myself, "the point of this is what now exactly?
Surely
> there must be other ways to still be strong for sports...."
>
I know I'll get the legs back when I start riding again. They are my best feature, genetically,
which is why I put forth a little effort in the upper body. Back then, my thighs were nearly 28",
rather than the paultry 23" they are now.

>Yeah, that did kind of suck. There were a few mornings in the 20s where I got up, bundled up, and
>worked out on the back porch. It was great motivation to "super-set", just to stay warm.

Wow!

You are my new "hero"!! lol

By the way... Im 45

> >Yeah, that did kind of suck. There were a few mornings in the 20s where I got up, bundled up, and
> >worked out on the back porch. It was great motivation to "super-set", just to stay warm.
>
> Wow!
>
> You are my new "hero"!! lol
>
Don't know if I'll do that again. That was during a more obssesive time in my life.

> By the way... Im 45

You're never too old. I'm almost 42, and building a new bike, and getting back into the sport.

[email protected] wrote in news:[email protected]:

>>I would recommend getting a "Total gym 2000"I have one and it is great for upper body strenght
>>training.
>
> Are you serious abt this??

Yes. I know it sounds kooky, but it can give you a real good work out. It was fairly inexpensive
when I bought it, it's easy to use and you don't need a spotter. It also fold up nice and small to
make rom for all the bike stuff I just bought. Honestly, I haven't used it in several months, but
when I was using it every week I got noticable results. Sinc I quit using it and just ride for
excercise my upper body has become noticably scrawnier. When it cools down I'll probably pull it
back out again.

Moderately heavy squats can really increase the amount of power you put into your pedal stroke, more than you can gain from cycling alone.

Whatever equipment you buy, make sure you read the manual first :)

Originally posted by Mr. E. Mann
[email protected] wrote in news:[email protected]:

>>I would recommend getting a "Total gym 2000"I have one and it is great for upper body strenght
>>training.
>
> Are you serious abt this??

Yes. I know it sounds kooky, but it can give you a real good work out. It was fairly inexpensive
when I bought it, it's easy to use and you don't need a spotter. It also fold up nice and small to
make rom for all the bike stuff I just bought. Honestly, I haven't used it in several months, but
when I was using it every week I got noticable results. Sinc I quit using it and just ride for
excercise my upper body has become noticably scrawnier. When it cools down I'll probably pull it
back out again.

If you want decent weights get olympic ones. They're the ones with 2" sleeves on the ends with bearings. They're more expensive but, having used the screw on ones for a while, they are much better. Not very good for curls though since the ends are very long, so you'll want to find what weight you're comfortable with and buy some proper dumbells. I'd recommend to start with: dumbells, bar bell, tricep-bar. then if you are serious about it get a bench press/squat rack combo, which will take your barbell. this shop is in the UK but it'll show you the type of stuff I'm talking about: http://www.bodypower.co.uk

"Paulus" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Mr. E. Mann wrote:
> > [email protected] wrote in
news:css1jvkiiq3t73goaftuc3ue67spfvtrqk@4a-
> > x.com:news:[email protected]:
> > >>I would recommend getting a "Total gym 2000"I have one and it is
great
> > >>for upper body strenght training.
> > >
> > > Are you serious abt this??
> > Yes. I know it sounds kooky, but it can give you a real good work out. It was fairly
> > inexpensive when I bought it, it's easy to use and you don't need a spotter. It also fold up
> > nice and small to make rom for all the bike stuff I just bought. Honestly, I haven't used it
> > in several months, but when I was using it every week I got noticable results. Sinc I quit
> > using it and just ride for excercise my upper
body
> > has become noticably scrawnier. When it cools down I'll probably pull it back out again.
>
> Moderately heavy squats can really increase the amount of power you put into your pedal stroke,
> more than you can gain from cycling alone.
>
If you can't do squats (like me), deadlifts are a great substitute.

Status
Not open for further replies.