Do you like Alexandre Vinokourov?

Despite his doping issues and his inconsistent record I can't help but like him because he just won't give up in a given situation.

only a matter of time before he gets picked up on the bio-passport. have to figure his undisciplined choices of when to attack will inform his inability to keep to a ferrari/fuentes training schedule when he goes for a result.

I love his unconventional "attack randomly" style. The old Contador/Vino 1-2 really ripped Liege Bastogne Ans apart.

The innocent/guilty line in modern pro cycling is so grey that basing your like/dislike on drugs is like playing roulette.

Recently I've started liking the veteran racers and it has nothing to do with the fact that I'm almost 40 now and duking it with riders half my age :D

A little piece of me even wants Armstrong to win le Tour!

Whats everyone's opinion on Ricco?

Short answer - no.
Do I dislike him? No.
Do I respect him as a high performing athlete? Yes.
Do I like any rider in particular in the pro peloton? No.
Do I particulary dislike any rider in the pro peloton. No.
(Emotional ambivalence saves a heartache when your fav gets busted, IMO.)
Do I still enjoy (to a lesser degree now) watching their performances knowing some, if not most, are doping? Yes.

Kinda bitter that when he got busted during the Tour a few years back, Astana completely packed up and went home even though Klodi (who may have been just as guilty) was in as good a position for the GC as Vino.

tonyzackery said:
True.

I do. He gave a humble interview to l'equipe after Liege, saying how happy he was with the win, how he never stopped being a cyclist during his 2 years ban, and how he can go into retirement soon but in good terms.

tonyzackery said:
Short answer - no.
Do I dislike him? No.
Do I respect him as a high performing athlete? Yes.
Do I like any rider in particular in the pro peloton? No.
Do I particulary dislike any rider in the pro peloton. No.
Do I still enjoy (to a lesser degree now) watching their performances knowing some, if not most, are doping? Yes.

Great answer.

I used to like Vino's type of riding : he was aggressive and was prepared to "give it a go".
Great rider to watch.
Plenty of guts.

Since he got himself banned I think he should have walked away from the sport.

I was about 2km from the top of the top of the Plateau de Beille in 2007 when Vino lost 30 minutes. He looked like he was on another planet when he finally came past. ( I'll post up a couple of pics I took when I work out how!!)
That blood certainly did the trick! I reckon it'd take more than a litre of water to flush that out!
Regarding Liege- Bastogne- Liege, I'm not sure how I feel about the result. :confused: