Do You Like To Be Clipped In?

Kim1414

Feb 16, 2015
I was wondering if anyone else hates to be clipped into the pedals. I have tried to get used to it but it scares me to death. I can get my feet out of the pedal cages pretty quick but am afraid of getting stuck with the clips and not being able to put a foot down fast enough if I have to. I also find clipping in a real problem.

I used to have the same problem, but it's true that once you get used to it, there aren't any problems.

It might help if you get familiar with the mechanism of clipless pedals. For road pedals for example, all that is happening is that a piece of plastic hooks inside the hoop of the pedal and then the rear part of the plastic cleat is held by a spring loaded hook on the rear part of the pedal.
Once you turn your leg around, the spring moves and the leg snaps out of the pedal.

The only problems I found so far are:

1. I hate those damn shoes. :( I hate them. You cant walk in them, and even if you try, you will probably need to pay 20 euroz for new cleats afterwards. They are also slippy.

2. If you dont use clipless shoes - pedals all the time and cycle with normal shoes very often, you might get un-used to clipping in and out when you stop, resulting in a fall.

I don't get my feet clipped to the pedals, I don't do road cycling often so I really don't have a need for it. You are saying it right Volnix, the shoes are not appealing and more, I do enjoy to stop for a while and enjoy the view or even go for a walk, so with my feel clipped that's hardly comfortable.

I never clip my feet to pedals, it's uncomfortable and I hate it.
As you said you are also afraid of getting stuck in the pedals, ugh, so I prefer not to have such situation and don't clip my feet.

Volnix said:
I used to have the same problem, but it's true that once you get used to it, there aren't any problems.

It might help if you get familiar with the mechanism of clipless pedals. For road pedals for example, all that is happening is that a piece of plastic hooks inside the hoop of the pedal and then the rear part of the plastic cleat is held by a spring loaded hook on the rear part of the pedal.
Once you turn your leg around, the spring moves and the leg snaps out of the pedal.

The only problems I found so far are:

1. I hate those damn shoes. :( I hate them. You cant walk in them, and even if you try, you will probably need to pay 20 euroz for new cleats afterwards. They are also slippy.

2. If you dont use clipless shoes - pedals all the time and cycle with normal shoes very often, you might get un-used to clipping in and out when you stop, resulting in a fall.
That's why I don't walk in them, mount the bike, ride, dismount, put bike back on stand. Except today is mount the trainer.

jhuskey said:
That's why I don't walk in them, mount the bike, ride, dismount, put bike back on stand. Except today is mount the trainer.

What about traffic lights? :( Or when you are waiting with other peoplez to start a ride? :(

I like the extra performance, but if I get new pedals - shoes they might be MTB pedals - shoes. The cleats seem more durable (cheaper too I think) and since the cleat is recessed in the shoe they seem to be a bit more comfortable to walk with and without damaging the cleat too...

No, I cannot do it. I like the freedom that not being clipped in provides me. I admit if I were more comfortable with popping in & out of them regularly it wouldn't be so bad but where i am now it seems like something I'm not quite interested in yet.

Volnix said:
What about traffic lights? :( Or when you are waiting with other peoplez to start a ride? :(

I like the extra performance, but if I get new pedals - shoes they might be MTB pedals - shoes. The cleats seem more durable (cheaper too I think) and since the cleat is recessed in the shoe they seem to be a bit more comfortable to walk with and without damaging the cleat too...
Traffic lights? Just a suggestive warning:)

Haha, so traffic lights? Am I understanding that those are something that don't make you stop? :D I am guilty of that too sometimes, I mean, we are going so well, no cars around, why should we stop really? :) We don't even have a licence plate! :p

Gelsemium said:
We don't even have a licence plate! :p

Which is both a blessing and a curse... How many 200euro cars have you heard being stolen lately? And how many 1200euro bikes? :D

Yes, that is true, expensive bikes need to be protected with care, they cannot be left on the streets. I have a friend in Seville (Spain) that says that robbers go through the city in trucks and pick them all up...

I would never prefer to be clipped into my bike. I would prefer to go without it. It sometimes becomes difficult if you need to balance yourself with your legs and are not able to do it.

Reactions: shilpa123
I feel that the ones that prefer to be clipped are those that are in some sort of competition because being clipped increases one's performance. Riding recreationally doesn't require to be clipped though.

I won't be comfortable with it all until I'm more experienced on the bike. Right now I don't have the skill or confidence to know I won't fall over.

I've been riding all my life, even went off to cycle around the world, and I still see no need to be clipped in if you don't want to be.
If you are happy using toe clips and toe straps what is the problem? I have them on all 4 of my bikes (road, mountain, off-road tourer and recumbent trike) and it has never bothered me what people think of me as a result.
If you are happy with them, stay with them. If you are not, don't.

That's the way I feel too Connie. Those who want to be clipped in fine, if they prefer it great for them, it's not just my thing eventually because I never done road bike, mostly off road.