Do you listen to music when you are out training on the bike?

Logic Zero

Oct 21, 2007
Just a general curiousity question, I'm wondering how many of you use ipods/mp3 players when you are out cycling.

Also, do you find that if you do listen to music, you end up listening to your favorite songs or more "upbeat" kind of music to get you working a bit harder? Thanks :)

Ahhh indeed, my bad.

Rather than have a whinge here like in the other thread I would be very grateful if you could just register your vote in the poll so others can check and compare. Cheers!

Logic Zero said:
Ahhh indeed, my bad.

Rather than have a whinge here like in the other thread I would be very grateful if you could just register your vote in the poll so others can check and compare. Cheers!
Ouch, did I really say that? That was phrased badly, sorry about that it was late last night! I wasn't referring to you specifically whinging at all, it was just a general statement saying could everyone please vote in the poll and not argue like sissy girls like in that other thread :p

For safety purposes, I avoid doing this. I tend to get distracted in situations like that especially using headphones. It also limits the amount I can hear which can be bad.

Dude...you just bumped a decade old thread that already had a link posted in it saying it was a repost...

Yes, I do listen to music when I train on my bike. Well, music is scientifically proved to give many benefits. It releases a chemical known as dopamine in our brain and it stimulates us and gives the 'amazing sensation' to our mind. I love to listen to music while training. I always listen to some rock songs that gives me the motivation.

I am not a music lover and I never experienced riding with music in my ears. But I have a college friend who is a music addict who has an earphone stuck to his ear all the time. Surely the guy would have an ipod to his ears while biking. And what happens if there is danger behind him, how could he hear the warning horn? With music in your ears while riding, you are like a deaf who is courting danger. But it's okay to bring an ipod so you can listen during pit stops, i.e. if don't want to chat with the other riders.

No I don't, for safety reasons and also I'm new to cycling so I try to concentrate as much as I can while I practice, perhaps when I'm more confident though I would listen to music, my partner cycles and he listens to music until it comes time to cross a road, then he turns the music off.

Not a fan of listening music while riding but I've done it before. It could be pretty distracting when you turn the volume to high to the point of losng awareness. I don't suggest to do this unless you set the volume very low enough to listen to your hostile environment.

Reactions: topazann
For safety purposes, I avoid doing this. I tend to get distracted in situations like that especially using headphones. It also limits the amount I can hear which can be bad.

Why are you necroposting? This thread had been dead for a decade. We have enough of that going on around here thanks to people like @JSWin without another person doing it.

Of course! I don't think if i hadn't listened to music while I did all my training's, I wouldn't have made it to the end.I usually listen to electronic,nightcore music to get me really pumped up! I use my phone and headphone to listen to music,and I think that it actually improves my physical condition. Maybe it's all in my mind,but maybe it works. who knows?

Hey,

I see you're into music while cycling! Each to their own, but I've got to be honest, I'm a bit skeptical about the benefits of headphones for training. Balancing the rhythm of your pedal stroke with the beat of the music can be distracting, and it might even lead to poor technique or injuries. Plus, it can be dangerous not hearing what's going on around you, especially when you're sharing the road with other vehicles.

That being said, if it works for you and keeps you motivated, who am I to judge? Just make sure you stay safe out there. And if you're looking for a better audio solution, I'd recommend checking out bone conduction headphones. They leave your ears open, so you can still hear your surroundings while enjoying your tunes. ‍♂️

Absolutely, I always have my tunes with me on the road! I find that upbeat music with a strong rhythm really helps me maintain a consistent, high cadence. It's like having my own personal pace car. I'm always trying to beat my previous best times, so the right music can give me that extra edge. I'm curious, what's your go-to cycling playlist? ‍♀️

I completely agree that having the right music can make a huge difference in maintaining a consistent cadence while cycling. Personally, I love a mix of energetic tracks with a strong beat to keep me motivated and in the zone. However, I also find it important to consider the tempo and rhythm of the music to match the intensity of the ride. It's all about finding that perfect balance between pushing yourself and enjoying the ride. So, what are some of your favorite cycling songs or playlists? ‍♀️

An interesting inquiry! I've only been cycling for six weeks, but I've yet to try using an iPod or MP3 player. I'm curious, how many of you incorporate music into your rides? And do you indeed find your favorite or upbeat tunes motivating you to push harder? I'd love to hear your thoughts! :)