Do you listen to music while cycling?

I ride a road bike. I try to find streets and roads with little traffic, not always successfully.
For my survival it is critical that I can listen to cars-trucks comming my way.
So, I do not listen to music while riding.

WAY too many rednecks in pickup trucks around here to sacrifice any amount of hearing to music. You need to hear the whirring of the big tires against the pavement, because sometimes they try to sneak up on you so they can blow the horn 2" from your back tire.

The only time I listen to music when I'm riding is when I'm on my trainer. Not being able to hear traffic is a good way to wind up a grease spot on the side of the road.

If you haven't, maybe you ought to with the tunes plugged firmly in your ears. Then you can ask yourself, is it really worth it? As you sit through surgery and avoid all those narcotics the doctors prescribe for you so that you don't succumb to the addiction many of your friends have succumbed to, you can ask yourself, did I really have to listen while I was on my bike? And if that's not enough, when you see the best days of the year slipping away, days you have been dreaming about all year, you can ask yourself, why did I have to hear music when I should have been listening for clues? And when you near the 6 week mark, and you still are not allowed to ride because gripping is not allowed, you can tell yourself without hesitation, it was not worth it.

Get riders high from a long, hard day in the saddle. Then go home and listen in the comfort of home. It's what doesn't happen that matters most in this case, and that is avoiding a big accident.

No, my accident didn't occur because I had headphones on. It happened because the water on the pavement made the ground a little slicker than I thought it would be. So I don't have to curse myself while I endure drug free pain. I truly did have an accident, and mine was from riding too fast down a downhill curve. You don't think it will happen to you, but it just might. And the recovery takes a long time. So leave the headphones at home. When someone says, "on your left", you'll know he's there instead of veering unexpectedly into him in surprise.

We have a lot of trails to ride, with no motor driven anythings! Just walkers/runners/ and bikes. That and bike lanes, I wear sports phones and a Creative Nomad. The Nomad is an MP3 player, with 256meg and USB interface. Plug it in and transfer files, about 8 hours worth!

Don Fransico, Modern Gospel!

:cool: In REAL TRAFFIC, I take em off!

Not on the road....too old to die this young!

But on the trainer, you try & stop me....anything that pumps - INXS, Queen, Stones & a sing along to Me First & the Gimmee Gimmees....leave the tranquil chilling stuff for another place & time

I don't have a balance issue with listening in one ear. It works fine.

It's interesting that a lot of the concern about riding on the road is coming from the US based members. Are things really that bad over there? I'm going to Colorado in August/September and hope to tackle some mountains there, how worried should I be able the cars?

I lost an iPod via cycling minor accident,
on the bright side I think it saved my hip-bone by being in my pocket and absorbing the the impact .. still I was sore from that for weeks after.

( the fault was cycling in icy conditions, wasn't ready for just how faster you fall off when slipping on black ice- fortunately away from traffic.. didn't have time to break my fall with my hand as usual )

On occasion I do listen to musci on my Rio 256meg player. The earphones, with the music set at a 'normal' volume, do not block out traffic noise.

I only ride with music on my morning rides (I wake up around 5 AM and ride for about 40km before going to work). At that hour there are VERY few vehicles on the road in my neck of the woods.

I find it really nice. Listen to whatever gets me going, from AC/DC (remember guys?) to recent stuff and occasionally classical (a la Ode to Joy).

Happing riding!

I got these cool psaflight headphones by nike-philips, they came with my mp3-cdplayer. I was convinced that i could not ride without music, but then today, during my ride, the radio that i was using ran out of batteries, and i felt like i had made better time without the music.

As far as road noise is concerned, i have not had a problem with hearing cars with my headphones on, and they do cut back on the wind noise.

[edited to fix link]

Never tried it. Don't intend to. Generally don't like music much.

(And yes, I am a grumpy b@st@rd. ;))

Originally posted by b1_
Do you listen to music while you ride? what do like to listen to? What's your player?

I've got some wrap around Sony MDR-70s which work well with a helmet on, and an iRiver iHP140. I also wear ear plugs to cut down on wind and traffic noise which still gets through anyway.

I listen to techno and trance and it sure does add to the cycling experience ten fold. Ever toured in a foreign country and crested a mountain pass on a perfect day while listening to trance? - incredible, and highly recommended.

Does anyone else use music as their cycling fuel?
I don't recommend it to novice riders, especially in urban environments.I' ve been bike commuting 4 many years so I can compensate 4 diminished sensory input. I also try to obey most of the road rules depending on the situation but i am angered when i see some guy blow through a 4 way stop & almost cause an accident & it does'nt help our standing when that individual happens also 2 b wearing headphones. Oh well, who cares.

I've listened to music when riding before and, honestly, I could still hear much of the traffic noise I needed to hear - just kept the music fairly low and used earbuds. Still, I don't deny that it impairs your ability to hear a car approaching, etc.

After deciding it was too much hassle a few months ago, I now do not ride with music and I really don't miss it! I actually prefer to hear my own breathing, the smooth sounds of my bike and nature in general... :)

Originally posted by mmpc001
I've listened to music when riding before and, honestly, I could still hear much of the traffic noise I needed to hear - just kept the music fairly low and used earbuds. Still, I don't deny that it impairs your ability to hear a car approaching, etc.

After deciding it was too much hassle a few months ago, I now do not ride with music and I really don't miss it! I actually prefer to hear my own breathing, the smooth sounds of my bike and nature in general... :)
I agree, its almost spiritual except for the sounds of cars going by. Also I don't like how earbuds work so a hemet is pretty much out of the question. I've been commuting for almost a decade & I value a radio over a helmet. Been in 4 vehicle run-ins w/ my bike & a couple of stepvans & cars but always just got up w/ no more than a few scrapes (did'nt wear headphones at those times) so it was'nt a factor. :p

Why yes I do!
I am no where without my music...

And the music I listen to while cycling ranges from MUSE to The Prodigy, also techno (because it moves so well!) classic rock such as Rolling Stones works perfectly fine for me too.

I dont listen to anything on a player, my body tends to keep to whatever beat the music sets, and when its not in time it irritates me.

So instead i have developed a nice nutty technique, i just have songs playing in my head, doesnt really matter it u dont know the words u cant tell the difference anyway. Plus the song automatically speeds up as i do, or changes to a slower song as i slow...

It really works well.