Do you listen to music while cycling?

Discussion in 'The Bike Cafe' started by b1_, Jun 10, 2004.

1. j a s o n

j a s o n New Member

szbert----- You've convinced me. I'm never riding a bicycle again, as long as I live. And I think I speak for everyone here. I may never even say the word "bicycle" again. I may never play cards with one of those "Bicycle" brand decks. I have to go lie down or something.

glowingrod---- I thought I'd be the only one to say anything like you did. I'm not even sure I've heard anyone speak that way about cycling, ever. That's exactly it, though.

I've gone through entire albums from start to finish, in my head. In fact, often I've had a flash of visual memory about this or that curve in a road associated with hearing this or that song, because it was going through my head at that point in a bicycle trip.

As for actual music, I'm not trying to escape from the bike ride I'm on (should be past tense, since med probs interfere now), or trying to kill the time. All the physical experiences you mention are what i'm there for. Part of it is that feeling of utter reality, unadorned, unaltered, un-jazzed-up, with the wind, colors, smells, and near-silence that isn't really silence, but filled with subtleties, with no engine noise at all... yet you're moving, sometimes pretty fast. Under your own power too, which seems miraculous sometimes.

If anything, if it were possible, it would be the bike ride I'd want to take with me to get through some other, boring activity. I wouldn't take music along to get through the ride. You get both the music and the real physical natural world, if you're playing the music back in your head.

2. Ottis

Ottis New Member

imposible to ride without music! mostly listen to Darude, some techno or rammstein :)

3. bwhitl

bwhitl New Member

I've tried it and didn't like it. Music distracts me from pedaling.

4. angar

angar New Member

Sure I do, I like Moby a lot and I use the sony MD. I never had any problem listening to the traffic, you can hear perfectly both.... at first people told me that it was dangerous becouse of the "assumption" that you stop hearing street noises... but is was just that-- a assumption.... now I drive happily listening to music that I like :)
    I never belive anything I am told to... hehehe :p

5. fatbottomedgirl

fatbottomedgirl New Member

Personally if I'm on the road I want to hear everything,to know if there's a leaf caught in my wheels, if it's a city bus, a dumptruck , or a harley behind me. If i hear a beater coming, It may be nitwit highschool kids .No offense to the younger people on this board - they've proabbly ducked their share of insults and sodas thrown at them, too!

I'm planning on getting a MD player for use ONLY when I'm going around the track to fight the boredom

6. gills

gills New Member

Most of the time I can hear them coming out in the country, most of the time in the city I find it difficult to hear them. But if your relying on hear them then your living a dangerous life out on the road, I strongly recommend getting used to looking back every three seconds with your helmet mirror.
    Keep Jamming Gills:) :)

7. Telegram Sam

Telegram Sam New Member

Bicycle!Bicycle!...
    I want to ride my bicycle, I want to ride my bike...

8. less'go

less'go New Member

Guess who just bought a brand spanking new Mini I-Pod? That's right, boys and girls, I did!

Just went out running with it for the first time and it is awesome!!! I need better headphones, though. The earbuds are probably fine on the bike, but not very practical for running.

I got the metallic baby blue, BTW. Cute.

9. sgort2000

sgort2000 New Member

Slayer is my band of choice on a ride. I love all kinds of music EXCEPT CONTEMPARARY COUNTRY but mostly good ole punk rock or some scary death metal. My favorite artists are the Ramones, Hank Williams, & Johnny Cash. All of my heros are almost all dead now. RIP

10. MLMercer

MLMercer New Member

I only ever have one earphone - in my left ear (being an aussie we ride on the left side) so I can still hear traffic.

11. Telegram Sam

Telegram Sam New Member

Nothing beats starting a climb with Johnny or Dee Dee yelling 1..2..3..4...In your ear-nothing

12. Perennial_Quest

Perennial_Quest New Member

Nothing quite like Jason Becker's "Perpetual Burn" or "Individual Thought Patterns" by Death for passing the monotony of riding on your own.Often though i prefer to listen to BBC radio 4 when cycling.I certainly wouldn't listen to anything if there was a lot of traffic about.

13. AndROOb

AndROOb New Member

I do some training to hard-step drun'n'bass compilations (mixed by twisted individual/C4C/Dillinja etc) These mixes run at 180bpm for over an hour; good for TT training at 90rpm cadence........ which is nice.:eek:

14. lndshk1

lndshk1 New Member

I'll crank some "Derek Go Fast" tunes in the car or in the stereo before I go out, but I will never bring music with me on the road. I want to be completely aware of what is going on around me.

As for boredom... I ride with friends or ride against myself in my head.

15. Meatwad

Meatwad New Member

I like to on less hazardous routes, but on most organized rides, headphones are frowned upon.

I also like trance, techno or some other kind of dance/rap/hip-hop.
    Metal and hard rock too, of course.

16. bikeshop

bikeshop New Member

I love a mix of thoughtful melodic type music like 10,000 Maniacs right alongside the super hard edged stuff like A perfect Circle and Tool.
    www.the-bike-shop.com/training

17. ginger@skullcan

[email protected] New Member

FOR ANY RIDER/BUSINESS PEOPLE....or anyone who needs to or wants to always be in contact....there is a great new product out there called the Skullcandy Link (tm) It is the best invention ever...you hook up your music source (MP3,Cd, MiniDisc, and for all you ancients out there, cassette players!) to your cell phone. You can set it up to make and recieve calls while listening to your music and you don't have to take your hands off the bars EVER! Anyway check it out and buy it at Skullcandy.com (if searching on google or similar, type MP3 or haedphones along with Skullcandy. You wouldn't believe the crazy things typing just 'skullcandy' will bring up. ENJOY! (ps. could make a great gift for any cyclist, or skiier/rider in your life!)

18. hsg

hsg New Member

hardcore trance/techno. i use it as a mantra of sorts.

19. Bebelberry

Bebelberry New Member

I love riding with the music that fits my mood; in general heavy metal does it for me and my bike but I sometimes feel like listening to folk - very motivating when you're in the woods; particularly during night rides! I got so used to my discman that I can't leave the house without it... I almost feel naked:eek:

Sometimes I do force myself to lower the sound when I ride in traffic; but that's only when I'm listening to the tiny bug of wisdom in my head and my bike knows that those are very rare moments :D
    I did almost get in to an accident due to the fact that I didn't hear a car cut past me... but if I had heard it or not, that damned vehicle would have done the same nasty trick.
    So my conclusion: I keep my headphones on, I'd rather listen to good music than to the frustrating and stressing sound of cars.

As for now; take care and enjoy your rides. For the moment I need to survive without my bike... sleeping in a garage on another continent. :(

20. hsg

hsg New Member

tool is definately a tool.