Do you listen to music while cycling?

Before music i used cotton balls in my ears to protect them from the wind, either the noise or the cool air which both seem to bother me. Now I use a small mp3 player with ear wrap buds that fit loosely. They let me listen to music and still hear traffic around me. I do think also that they have helped me be more aware of my surroundings on the road. The only problem I have had is when someone rides up behind me and doesnt call out, I cant always hear their bike sounds to warn me as I did in the past. On the trail the music really helps me blast: old and new rock, heavy metal and fast guitar (Led Zep, Metalica, Slayer,Linkin Park,Satriani!). I used to listen to the radio but found I did get a little distracted when the jocks would talk. In my area, you can be fined if caught, or if something bad should happen (which is more likely). But I enjoy the music with my ride, and riding is a risk at times anyway, so why not have fun!

ride safe (but dont forget why you're out there!)

Right now its easy to listen to tunes, and in my opinion necessary . . . the trainer sucks!!! I'd go nuts without the tunes. When the weather warms the earth in wonderful Minnesota once again, I think I might invest in the Oakley glasses/mp3 player. It looks kind of cool, and combines two things that I use on every ride. Ahhh, to think about the shade while miles and miles slip away, while listening to some hard rock blasting in my ears . . .

If you are listeniing to music you cant hear a car horn behind you and you are lible to miss the warning for the road dangers from the pack:eek:

I am a huge music fan, but I never listen while riding. I ride on very busy and, often congested, city streets and find music too much of a distraction when you need to be alert to the dangers all around. Besides, with all the noise, I found I wasn't able to enjoy the beauty of the music. I'll enjoy my tunes on a quality system at home, after the bike is parked.

I've never done it, but I've been wondering how well one of the XM Radio portables might work on a tour.

>am looking at replacing it with either a 256MB flash player or one of those tiny 4GB hard disk based players.

I just got an iPod Shuffle, it's lightweight (22g) and you can get it in 512MB or 1GB versions. It's so easy to use, and who needs a screen when they're cycling? Plus, you never need to replace a battery, it has a built-in Li-ion battery, I love it!

-Dan

DanTheBikerMan said:
>am looking at replacing it with either a 256MB flash player or one of those tiny 4GB hard disk based players.

I just got an iPod Shuffle, it's lightweight (22g) and you can get it in 512MB or 1GB versions. It's so easy to use, and who needs a screen when they're cycling? Plus, you never need to replace a battery, it has a built-in Li-ion battery, I love it!

-Dan
Hey I just got one too (512mb - AU$150) - many hours of my mp3s, 12 hr battery, so light! Copes with bounces too:)

I listen with two earpieces when on bike trail, one earpiece when in traffic (left one, so I can hear traffic coming up on RH side). Not too loud, but enough so its a background beat to my rides. Best on solo and distance rides, never with companions:)

William Henry said:
If you are listeniing to music you cant hear a car horn behind you and you are lible to miss the warning for the road dangers from the pack:eek:

I have to admit in a pack i wont wear headpones, but when i am out for myself one in the left ear, curb side, is fine. Never been given a warning by a car yet and with normal traffic noise you cant tell what they are doing behind you anyway

I don't agree that listening to music is dangerous while cycling, but don't you think it could work against you if you were to be listening to music while cycling and you're involved in an accident? Can you get the blame just for that? The driver would obviously point that out immediately, and if there is no other proof in your favour (no witnesses), I don't think there is much choice.

Born To Be Wild by Steppenwolf. Nothin', and I mean nothin, even comes close to this as the ultimate tune to pound your ears with at 50mph down a bendy descent.

Bill.
:D

I never go out without my music.

I used a 5GB creative zen micro player, but after 200 km's the harddisk failed because of the vibrations. Ive now gone for a safer alternative: the apple ipod shuffle. I guess solidstate is a necessity.

b1_ said:
Do you listen to music while you ride? what do like to listen to? What's your player?

I've got some wrap around Sony MDR-70s which work well with a helmet on, and an iRiver iHP140. I also wear ear plugs to cut down on wind and traffic noise which still gets through anyway.

I listen to techno and trance and it sure does add to the cycling experience ten fold. Ever toured in a foreign country and crested a mountain pass on a perfect day while listening to trance? - incredible, and highly recommended.

Does anyone else use music as their cycling fuel?
i think im going to start trying that, but with just one head phone so i can hear traffic and other people yelling at me because they wont give up the road.

I'm fan of all that classic rock (Aerosmith, The Stones, Led Zepplin, etc...), but when I'm out there cranking, give me some Linkin Park. Truly an amazing band. Thats what gets me moving.

Yes, everyday. At first I used my headphones, but my daily commute is among the heavy traffic in the city of Boston It wasn't more than a few days before I really felt it was a matter of time before a car caught me off guard. :eek:

My solution: I modified my helmet so that my earbuds fit snugly into the foam about 1.5 inches away from my ear. Now I can hear the TRAFFIC and the MUSIC. It works great and gives me full control of what I want and need to hear. To me it is not dangerous to listen to music, but it is dangerous to igno your surroundings.

my music selections are mostly alt rock such as: the bravery, muse, beck, hot hot heat, etc. For now I lug around my 40 GB Zen Xtra, but soon I'll get a small flash player.

Def. ride with tunes. My riding's mixed country & urban so I live with a bit of risk of not hearing traffic, but hey, life's a risk:( and riding any bike in town is an even bigger one:mad: : as long as you're traffic aware visually and aren't blowing your ears out, live a bit:D .

I'm currently listening to my Palm Tunsgetn T3 but I want to get a smaller 512Mb MP3 player so I don't trash my T3 if/when I come off.

Music wise it's anything loud and fast, which kinda contradicts my own statement above! Def Leppard, Metallica, some dance music. My favourites @ the mo are disc 2 to the second Matrix soundtrack and Fat Of The Land by The Prodigy.

No way do I listen to music. I can't hear traffic AND I would miss out on all the lovely bird songs when I am out in the country ...

Just wondering.... All you people who say that listening to music while cycling is too dangerous: Do you have a mirror on your bike?

Peka said:
Just wondering.... All you people who say that listening to music while cycling is too dangerous: Do you have a mirror on your bike?

Yes, I do. One mirror on each side and one of those reverse view mirrors on my helmet as well. I have stabilisers and two bells - just in case one breaks. I also have one of those warning flags attached to the frame and lots of reflectors ... because you can never be too careful. :rolleyes:

I'm a convert from running. When I ran, I ALWAYS listened to music. It's way to boring to not. My wife, who runs half-marathons also always listens to music.

Since switching to cycling, I haven't tried it yet. The path I ride on would be well suited to it though. There is very little traffic, and the roads it crosses are perpendicular. Visually sighting cars is much more important because of their speed. I could do it, but for now, I'm enjoying the quiet. I haven't noticed the wind noise yet (I probably will now though). I like the noise the wheels make.

When I ran, I used a RIO Sport S35S (my wife still uses one). Mine died from running in the rain. Now I have a Rio Forge 512mb. I like them better than the HD players as they handle shocks much better. IMHO, HD players are suited to the bus, not physical activity.

When running only power metal would do. My favorites include Iced Earth (for some reason, The Glorious Burden is an incredibly motivating CD), Brainstorm, Tad Morose, Blind Guardian, Demons & Wizards. Mellow music doesn't cut it for running, but I can see how it would be cool for biking.

I can't believe somebody here likes Therion. ;) I'll have to try that.

LindaNo1 said:
Yes, I do. One mirror on each side and one of those reverse view mirrors on my helmet as well. I have stabilisers and two bells - just in case one breaks. I also have one of those warning flags attached to the frame and lots of reflectors ... because you can never be too careful
:eek: :eek: Sounds like a bit of overkill to me, but maybe the drivers in Scotland are super crazy?

I've always had music playing in my ears - cycling, running, motorcycling.... I do have a bar end mirror on my bike though (I don't care how dorky it might look). I've never, not once, had an incident which could've been avoided if I didn't have the music playing.