Do you listen to music while cycling?

b1_ said:
Do you listen to music while you ride? what do like to listen to? What's your player?

?
i got a recordable minidisc (sony) i use the in ear phones with only the left one in so i can still hear the traffic, i only have it around half volume, if i am going off road i have full on both ears..

listen to heavy metal from maiden to pantera slipknot rage stuff like that... never without it if i go without it is just too boring ....

EnigManiac said:
I am a huge music fan, but I never listen while riding. I ride on very busy and, often congested, city streets and find music too much of a distraction when you need to be alert to the dangers all around. Besides, with all the noise, I found I wasn't able to enjoy the beauty of the music. I'll enjoy my tunes on a quality system at home, after the bike is parked.
i find the opposite.. i ride in london some streets there are mayhem and that is not even rush hour..

i listen to heavy metal in my left ear only about half volume.. i have a handlebar mirror on the right i glance in periodically if i need to see behind me say i am gonna move out into the road or turn or have some jerk in front of me driving like a ****** lemur...

I never get suprised as i am not really listening it helps me concentrate and without it in i find my concentration sux

been doing it too many years now for it to be dangeous to me.. if you ride safely and read the road correctly you will be safe, of course there is the risk of injury or brains being scraped off the highway but that is there even without the music...

I can often be seen on the streets of london headbanging to some pantera or metallica or maiden sometimes even singing along too...:D

I resisted the urge for a long time becasue of safety concerns, but boredom finally got the best of me and now I listen to stuff whenever I am solo. I started with music, but then found I get more out of my day by listening to talk radio (npr type stuff) while I ride. I enjoy it, and I feel like I can still hear traffic very well (I turn it off when actually in town, usually I'm out on country roads, etc).

I don't think it's dangerous having the mp3 playing.
I mainly ride in country areas in the hills. The traffic isn't too busy and I can't see the point in listening out for for traffic coming up behind me. I stay as close as possible to the left side of the road.I can't really do anything about the nutters flying around bends in fast cars testing out the quad turbo's and soft racing tyres in lowered sports cars either. If you don't have the mp3 player blaring 200 watts it's easy to still hear traffic anyway.
Most trucks give me a warning beep around 100 meters before they pass me.

I have noticed some cyclists riding double file on busy windy twisting roads. It may be legal to do that but thats asking for trouble.I can see why some motorists get angry at cyclists when ever I see that.

Nochain?

I love my music and i love my bike - I agree - when it all comes together its great - you're cruising along the road/track with your heart pumping, and the perfect song comes on, its the best. I use my pod on shuffle, and when the right song come on at the right time its great. However at other times its not so fun, like the other day, it was windy, I was fighting to stay upright, there was heaps of wind noise in my ears, couldn't hear the music properly even though it was cranked, and all the bass disappeared.

Re the one ear thing: the music was recorded to be heard in stereo with quality sound, not in one ear with traffic noise in the other. Id rather have no music that one ear only.

As for saftey, if you're on familiar roads its fine, it actually helps drown out traffic noise on my commute, but you can still hear enough to be aware of whats happening around you. On the other hand when I'm on the MTB, I love just to hear the natural sounds of the bike, the tyres on the track, and the peace & quiet of the countryside, so I leave the pod at home.

"Re the one ear thing: the music was recorded to be heard in stereo with quality sound, not in one ear with traffic noise in the other. Id rather have no music that one ear only."

One ear only for me need to hear the traffic. Only have music on road bike not on mtb.

Ya, Usually rap:D And when you listen it in the cold, it dosent make you as cold, so its much better :)

rxxve

Always. I ride on the side of the road and am unable to do anything else to aid in safety anyway. If somebody honks, I can do nothing. If they hit me, they were going to hit me anyway. I ride mainly on country roads without a ton of traffic, but I listen to music when in traffic. I just use my eyes a lot more.