Do you listen to music while cycling?

>Originally posted by coma
>So instead i have developed a nice nutty technique, i just have >songs playing in my head, doesnt really matter it u dont know >the words u cant tell the difference anyway. Plus the song >automatically speeds up as i do, or changes to a slower song as >i slow...

hehe.. it's not that nutty.. i do it.. oh, wait.. :)

Actually, I find myself beatboxing quite a lot when I'm walking or
riding. If I don't have an actual song in my head I'll be making
drum noises, etc. to myself.. it keeps me entertained and looking
like a nutcase to scare drivers..

hippy

I rode with my mp3 player a few times. The last time, a spoke broke on my back wheel and I didn't hear it. I rode 30 miles with my wheel rubbing on my brake and didn't know it until I got home. After that, I figured it's probably better that I don't ride with music.

Uncle Tupelo, Son Volt, Patty Griffin, Gram Parsons...always
The cars on my route drive so darn fast that hearing them coming isn't going to help, so I might as well have the tunes going

My iPod Mini really gets the job done. Worked great on my ACS Bike-a-thon. However, if you're riding for more than an hour, I think half hour breaks are good. It makes you zone out.

Fusioned said:
My iPod Mini really gets the job done. Worked great on my ACS Bike-a-thon. However, if you're riding for more than an hour, I think half hour breaks are good. It makes you zone out.

I am thinking about getting the mini.... is it good? Where do you hold it? Anything else I should know...?

never get on the bike without my ipod..... best discovery ever!!...

tunes?.... st.germain, claude challe that sort of stuff.... jazzy french house just like on Eurosport......

nitrogenmustard said:
if you wear only one headfone you can still hear cars and it takes away from the boredom of long solo rides
with many songs the left and right channels are different. i dont know if they sell them, but it is possible to wire both channels to one ear, so you hear the whole song.

i strongly reccomned the rio Nitrus. 1.5g is plenty of storage (about 20 full albums coverted to Mp3), and the thing is smaller than my cell phone. costs $200 USD.

iPod people, I need your help .. I was thinking about getting the Mini for the click-wheel but now I see the bigger ones have it too, and am thinking of getting the 20GB normal one.. the click wheel looks like a good idea as the big buttons will be easy to feel and press from reaching around the back of the jersey.

My current MP3 player weighs about 80g and is unnoticeable when put into a jersey pocket -- do any of you feel that the ~150g lump of the iPod feels at all unweildy and bobs around too much while riding? I could imagine there's probably a risk of it popping out when mountain biking too.

Anyone jog with an iPod too? Is it too heavy to be comfortable just stuffed into a pocket (once again with it bobbing around)?

I just ride on the streets by my house, but I want to try riding on a bike path with some music. I think it would really enhance the ride!

zapper said:
Old rocker here...Aerosmith, AC/DC, Led Zep and Rush cranked up in one ear only!

Damn baby right you are!
I use Apple IPod 40Gigabyte (same one as Armstrong ;)
I listen to AC/DC, Iron Maiden, Deep Purple, Aerosmith, Led Zeppelin, Chuck Berry, Kiss, The Cranberries, Rage Against The Machine, and many more

My favourite song is "Detroit Rock City" from Kiss. When it starts to play sometimes I sing along on my bike and I gotta tell ya sometimes people give me a weird look when they see me singing on my bike :)

Other favourites are: You shook me all night long (AC/DC), Back in Black (AC/DC), Given the dog a bone (AC/DC), ... Actually the whole discography of AC/DC :D

I'm 17years young and road racer.

Routier said:
Other favourites are: You shook me all night long (AC/DC), Back in Black (AC/DC), Given the dog a bone (AC/DC), ... Actually the whole discography of AC/DC :DQUOTE]

Must admit that there is someting special about AC/DC while riding. It just makes me ride faster! :D

Powerful Pete said:
Routier said:
Other favourites are: You shook me all night long (AC/DC), Back in Black (AC/DC), Given the dog a bone (AC/DC), ... Actually the whole discography of AC/DC :DQUOTE]

Must admit that there is someting special about AC/DC while riding. It just makes me ride faster! :D
Just got myself a new phone. Nokia 6230. I never actually listened to music much during my rides, but now that i have been riding more on my own i got this phone for this exact reason (and i needed a new one). It plays FM radio and MP3s. It has expandable memory up to 128Mb (this isnt much for an MP3 player but still around 2 hours) and also doubles as a (believe it or not!) phone which i used to carry with me anyway. Does anybody else have one of these phones and if so what do u think of them?

Trance and techno are the way to go for epic rides over good roads. Long solo rides or time trials are the perfect place to use headphones and add to the experience.

TrekDedicated said:
I am thinking about getting the mini.... is it good? Where do you hold it? Anything else I should know...?
you have to get the mini and get the arm band..
best investment ever!
lasts for 8 hrs..
and is much more useful than any other mp3 player..

b1_ said:
Do you listen to music while you ride? what do like to listen to? What's your player?

I've got some wrap around Sony MDR-70s which work well with a helmet on, and an iRiver iHP140. I also wear ear plugs to cut down on wind and traffic noise which still gets through anyway.

I listen to techno and trance and it sure does add to the cycling experience ten fold. Ever toured in a foreign country and crested a mountain pass on a perfect day while listening to trance? - incredible, and highly recommended.

Does anyone else use music as their cycling fuel?
I LOVE listening to trance while riding. It definitely is an experience. I use my MD player, which is durable cuz it has a metal case (tested out the durability in a mountain bike crash once, didnt even skip!)

I use those headphones that attach to your ear without a headband. i like them better than earbuds because I can still hear traffic and they dont hurt the insides of my ears after long use.

I also like rocking out to Rob Zombie. Nothing gets me up a hill like some of his crazy angst-filled rock :D

b1_ said:
Do you listen to music while you ride? what do like to listen to? What's your player?

I've got some wrap around Sony MDR-70s which work well with a helmet on, and an iRiver iHP140. I also wear ear plugs to cut down on wind and traffic noise which still gets through anyway.

I listen to techno and trance and it sure does add to the cycling experience ten fold. Ever toured in a foreign country and crested a mountain pass on a perfect day while listening to trance? - incredible, and highly recommended.

Does anyone else use music as their cycling fuel?

ONLY WHEN DOING SPINNING AT THE GYM. WHEN OUTDOORS WITH THE BIKE, I FIND IT DANGEROUS!

I've been really tempted lately to buy an MP3 player and ride with it. Same old rides get boring after awhile, so music would jazz the ride up a bit (no pun intended).

My jams of choice would have to be some hard core metal - Slayer, Metallica, Opeth, Maiden, you know, the good stuff ........... something with a fast beat and energy, much like the techno guys. I used to do techno to my indoor training during the winter, but then started playing video games instead. Passed the time much faster that way.

I ride with my iPod sometimes. When I do I listen to a lot of stuff with energy, ACDC, New Order, techno, Tribe Called Quest, Kraftwerk, whatever...

I haven't had a problem with hearing cars because I keep the volume pretty low. When I'm biking downtown though, I usually want to hear everything around me so I put the headphones in my handlebar bag.

Noobie poster... Been lurking awhile. Just started riding again after about a 12 year layoff. Thanks Robbie, I think :>)

Usually I try to ride for about 1 1/2 to 3 hours. I use too occasionally listen to a radio back in the day; but those huge tapeplayers sucked, and the small radios never could tune a station in.

I recently purchased a Creative Nomad MP3 player. What an improvement! Holds TONS of music and is very small! I listen to Audio Adrenaline, Rheostatics, Oingo Boingo, Los Lobos, Dada... The nomad holds a lot of music. Anyway, I kind of worry about not hearing approaching vehicles, but the roads I travel on the traffic is pretty fast and... What the hey. I'd rather listen to the music. I rarely listen the to the music for the entire riding time; as it is nice to just get into the moment and hear the surroundings, the bike, My wheezing lungs and creaking knees!

Raymond