Do you listen to music while you ride?

HatTrickhero11

Jul 22, 2012
Or maybe listen to a book? I will start riding in about two weeks after I get my cardio up on my elliptical. Is it legal to listen to music while you ride? If you can't while you're driving, biking shouldn't be any different?

It's technically illegal in many areas, though you probably wouldn't get a second look from the local constabulary. Darwin, however, may very well issue you a citation, which could come with the penalty of permanent banishment from the gene pool.

I wouldn't use headphones/earbuds. I've seen handlebar mounted speakers and Walmart has an iPod/mp3player case with integrated speaker. Currently I don't.... One of the bonuses to riding to me is the peace and quiet.

Outdoors I prefer to be aware of my surroundings and hear things like cars and other things as far in advance as possible, especially since my goal is to return safely from every ride. Indoors.....sure, but nothing makes exercising, especially riding, indoors fun, tolerable, or even humane. I also don't want to spoil my time on my bike with music. I dig the sound of the wind, nature, and the rest of my surroundings when I'm on my bike, no matter how long the ride.

Originally Posted by Dan Wright .
.... One of the bonuses to riding to me is the peace and quiet.
What, like the hum of tires on the road, traffic riding up behind you, and wind noise in your ears?

I'm kinda kidding, don't get yer balls in an uproar. I get BOTH sides of the argument, because sometimes I ride with music, sometimes without - because yes, being out and riding is pretty ****ing awesome - you're out there with the sun beating down on you, the wind in your face, riding up and down hills, feeling the earth, and it really is great.

And sometimes, it's horrible - it's a boring-ass road, you didn't even want to ride in the first place, it's too hot/cold/windy/hilly/etc, etc etc....and music helps you get through it. I freely admit a bad day on the bike is almost always better than a good day at work, but sometimes, a day on the bike just SUUUUCKS. And that's OK, because overall I'm coming out way ahead on the sucks vs not sucks equation. But on those sucky days, an mp3 player really helps.

I for one don't listen to music at all when I work out. Working out lets my mind relax and makes me forget about the stressful things. Music doesn't really help. Plus it would be dangerous while riding a bike on the road

Originally Posted by Chavez .

What, like the hum of tires on the road, traffic riding up behind you, and wind noise in your ears?

I'm kinda kidding, don't get yer balls in an uproar. I get BOTH sides of the argument, because sometimes I ride with music, sometimes without - because yes, being out and riding is pretty ****ing awesome - you're out there with the sun beating down on you, the wind in your face, riding up and down hills, feeling the earth, and it really is great.

And sometimes, it's horrible - it's a boring-ass road, you didn't even want to ride in the first place, it's too hot/cold/windy/hilly/etc, etc etc....and music helps you get through it. I freely admit a bad day on the bike is almost always better than a good day at work, but sometimes, a day on the bike just SUUUUCKS. And that's OK, because overall I'm coming out way ahead on the sucks vs not sucks equation. But on those sucky days, an mp3 player really helps.
No offense at all. I get both sides too. I agree that, even though I love riding, somedays I have to force myself to get started, and somedays I have to force myself to keep going. I'm considering getting a small speaker so I can listen to music on the cruddy days to pass some time when I'm riding the same route I commute everyday, but I still wouldn't use earbuds/headphones because of the safety factor.

Originally Posted by Dan Wright .

No offense at all. I get both sides too. I agree that, even though I love riding, somedays I have to force myself to get started, and somedays I have to force myself to keep going. I'm considering getting a small speaker so I can listen to music on the cruddy days to pass some time when I'm riding the same route I commute everyday, but I still wouldn't use earbuds/headphones because of the safety factor.

I think FatCyclist (or maybe BikeSnobNY) had a blog post about some handlebar speakers that worked fairly well.

I have seen this thread content come up on several forums over the years and I have got to ask: so what do you do when a car approaches from behind that is different from how your riding when no car is approaching?

I for one listen to music when i ride, Its a choice i make and I know it is actually a safty issue and would not have issues if it was made illegal here. i take precautions like hlemt etc and think others who dont are pretty daft. but i can hear traffice (not as well definately) and its one of the things i choose to do. I know others dont agrre with it and would never argue that its good.

i usually take my headphones with me while out, usually keep them around my neck if im going fast downhil or near a busy road just incase of the unexpected, but for me its great to have a bit of music when cycling in the countryside areas, though i do like the peace and quiet occasionally too. depends what mood im in.

I ride with music....It keeps me motivated. Although, I do take the headphones out while crossing intersections as hearing is one of the most important aspects to keep you safe while cycling. The other day I actually saw a guy almost get hit because he was blasting his beat studio headphones while going across the road (who wears those while biking?!?!!!?!)

All the time. I don't blare it too loudly and can still hear ambient noises when riding.

___________________________________________________________________ "I've had many problems in my life, most of which were imagined." - Mark Twain Chuck Dee - AKA Chris

Originally Posted by dookie44 .

I have seen this thread content come up on several forums over the years and I have got to ask: so what do you do when a car approaches from behind that is different from how your riding when no car is approaching?

That's always my question....

...wait, no, my question is "how can you tell a car that is going to hit you from one that is not going to hit you strictly by sound it makes coming up behind you?"

I keep my earbuds at a reasonable volume, so while I may not hear a vehicle IMMEDIATELY, I will hear it well before it passes me. Sirens and horns and such I can hear as well.

Originally Posted by Chavez .

...wait, no, my question is "how can you tell a car that is going to hit you from one that is not going to hit you strictly by sound it makes coming up behind you?"
I haven't been hit ...yet. So I can't speak authoritatively about how those cars sound. But I can normally hear the cars wheels on the pavement... [of course, some cars tires make more noise than others]. Sharp jerky driving causes the tires to sound similar to tires that are braking. I've noticed that jerky driving sound a few times... and then observed texting drivers as they passed me. So that is one sound I'd listen for.

I have real mixed feelings about the music while cycling stuff. I used to be very anti-music while cycling. But I see so much of it... it seems as if most cyclist have buds in their ears. I am not much for listening to music while I work or play... so of course I don't miss the music while cycling [myself]. But heck... I've even seen a cycling jacket with an ipod pocket... it's not like people aren't doing this. And yet.... with so many cyclist listening to music while cycling... I haven't heard any horror stories.

I fine real pleasure in the sights, sounds, and even the smells that are along the routes I cycle. I would encourage anyone to try listening to the local "noise". But I can't see myself encouraging people to try music while cycling.

I get pumped listening to a good mix of rock music on my IPOD when I'm riding in marked bike lanes. We have a lot of those in my town. Most of my riding though is on narrow windy roads with no shoulder to speak of and plenty of concealing vegetation. Those times I don't listen to music since I need all of my senses to detect cars back or some wily dog running out from one of the many ranchettes that dot the landscape. Sometimes there's enough wind noise that I don't hear the cars behind with or without music.

My problem is my ears just don't like those ear bud headphones.They always fall out because my ear shape is kind of weird I guess haha. I have the ones that wrap over my head. Those just won't work while riding a bike unless I want to be laughed at.

Originally Posted by coolcamaro12 .

The other day I actually saw a guy almost get hit because he was blasting his beat studio headphones while going across the road (who wears those while biking?!?!!!?!)
At £200 a pair they probably wear them everywhere lol, its just like someone with expensive sunglasses wearing them on a night-time during the rain, it's like, hey look at me, I blew all my money on one item, now i kinda regret it, but im gonna wear them EVERYWHERE so people think im cool and I can get my moneys worth outta them.

I'll stick to my £30 Sony Headphones thanks :p