Do you own a car? If so how often do you drive it?

ryan_velo. said:
Do you own a car? And if so, do you drive it a lot?
I do have a car, but since I walk to work these days I drive it very little, maybe once or twice a week.

ryan_velo. said:
Do you own a car? And if so, do you drive it a lot?
I do not own one personally, but I share one with my family. I drive a van for work every day although the majority of my day is spent walking. The van is to carry whatever tools I may need in the course of my day-to-day duties.

Batesy said:
I do not own one personally, but I share one with my family. I drive a van for work every day although the majority of my day is spent walking. The van is to carry whatever tools I may need in the course of my day-to-day duties.
i own a Lancer Evolution VIII GSR Jap import...RalliArt tuned to 420 bhp.

i drive it all the time to work and back....its capable of over 170mph but never had it past 120 yet.....there are laws and ****.

MountainPro said:

i drive it all the time to work and back....its capable of over 170mph but never had it past 120 yet.....there are laws and ****.

Wow MP that is a nice car... the only problem I can think of is unwanted attention from Johnny Law and teenage boys... if only chicks dug Rally cars instead of Beetles.

wilmar13 said:
Wow MP that is a nice car... the only problem I can think of is unwanted attention from Johnny Law and teenage boys... if only chicks dug Rally cars instead of Beetles.
Evos are one of those cars that are 'stolen to order' by gangs. You need a tracking device and alarms and parked inside a brick built garage by your house. Then with 6 years no claims bonus and TPFT insurance it comes down to less than £500.00 per year.

Thats why there are not a lot of these around owned by boy racers...

i didnt buy it to get chicks, i bought it because i have always wanted one. As one may look at a top of the line £5000.00 road bike but never actually buy one. I thought, what the hell, you only live once.

MountainPro said:
Evos are one of those cars that are 'stolen to order' by gangs. You need a tracking device and alarms and parked inside a brick built garage by your house. Then with 6 years no claims bonus and TPFT insurance it comes down to less than £500.00 per year.

Thats why there are not a lot of these around owned by boy racers...

i didnt buy it to get chicks, i bought it because i have always wanted one. As one may look at a top of the line £5000.00 road bike but never actually buy one. I thought, what the hell, you only live once.
No I was kidding about the chick comment (most of us stop thinking about a cars chick apeal after college ;) )... I had an M3 and got sick of all the 16 YR boys drooling over it, I imagine your car would have this aspect about 100times worse.

I agree you can only live once and that is a very nice car... just one question, does the rear seat fold down so that you can fit your precious bike cargo without trouble?

I have an Audi 80 2.0 litre car : I try to not drive it to be perfectly honest.
I tend to walk or use public transport (wherenever possible).

I cycle (as you well know) but I don't use the bike to commute to work.

If I really have to, I drive - otherwise I'll get there under my own steam.

wilmar13 said:
No I was kidding about the chick comment (most of us stop thinking about a cars chick apeal after college ;) )... I had an M3 and got sick of all the 16 YR boys drooling over it, I imagine your car would have this aspect about 100times worse.

I agree you can only live once and that is a very nice car... just one question, does the rear seat fold down so that you can fit your precious bike cargo without trouble?
M3...very nice car, a classic infact. I couldnt afford one of those...

nah, no folding rear seats on the Evolution models...i'll have to get a bike rack one of these days...

limerickman said:

I have the same view as you. I drive my car for the love of driving it and not really for commuting unless i have to. I work too far away to cycle every day. But for any short journeys i'll walk or cycle.

MountainPro said:
M3...very nice car, a classic infact. I couldnt afford one of those...
Yeah you could, it was 6 years old and had almost 100,000 miles on it when I bought it... cost a lot less than my Golf was new ;) and since I sold it for not a whole lot less than what I paid for it and put almost 90,000 miles on it myself it was much cheaper to own as well (no problems other than basic maint.).
MountainPro said:
nah, no folding rear seats on the Evolution models...i'll have to get a bike rack one of these days...
I used to have a rack on the M3... but I have been so spoiled by a hatch back with folding seats that I will probably never buy a car I can't throw my bike in (without removing the wheels) again.

MountainPro said:
I have the same view as you. I drive my car for the love of driving it and not really for commuting unless i have to. I work too far away to cycle every day. But for any short journeys i'll walk or cycle.

I guessed you were a walking/cycling man.

nothing wrong having a nice car though either !

MountainPro said:

Laws were made to broken; "****," however, is a force to be reckoned with.

Darjevon said:
Laws were made to broken; "****," however, is a force to be reckoned with.
sounds like you are talking from experience...is there anything you would like to share with the group?

limerickman said:

For many years I drove an Audi L100, this was the nicest driving car I have ever had the pleasure of driving, it was like driving on rails. I loved that car, as much as my 1972 Volkswagen Bus\camper.

Today, out of necessity I drive a Ford Ranger... Function over form. :(

I would love to commute on my bike, unfortunately, the current route would be 23miles (37K) of cat 3 and 4 hills one way. This is doable but I would be a wreck . If it were a flat commute and I could get some speed I would do it.

LW

I own a little Civic, had it for 2 years and it has 1018 miles on it. I use it mainly to go to the store once a week (in Summer) and take my bike to the shop when I have had a mental pause!

No car anymore, but got a couple of motorbikes ('98 CBR900RR and a '97 Aprillia Pegaso 650). Traffic jams in the Netherlands tend to be of epic proportions so owing a car did my head in. I commute using the 'peg twice a week to get to work and take the train the other three days. Its just brilliant to be able to get up at 7:30 instead of 6:45, even if it means getting wet.

Used to commute by bike twice a week to work when it was a 60km round trip but these days its 90 and thats waaay to far for my lardy pie eating ****.

The last car I owned was a 96' Rover Carbriolet, a true hairdressers motor if I ever I saw one.

I own a pickup truck.
Since i started commuting to work, I almost don't want to drive anywhere.
But I live in a nearly-rural area with no public transport, and far from most centers of business, so I have little choice but to bike back home, and then drive if I need to get something done.

'86 Chev Caprice wagon - two tons of reliability and style, baby.

Hardly gets driven anymore, what with gas at C$1.03/litre, but when I do drive 'er, she gets 22 MPG, which is pretty good for something the size of a small European country.

Dan