do you pee off your bike?

I so often wished I could do that but I am too scared and embarrased, so I get off the bike, find the nearest bush and loose a lot of time in the meantime.

I have a buddy who is a serious marathoner, and who goes to the start of a race with a PowerAde bottle, into which he discharges his pre-event, nervous pee, he then jetisons the bottle after the first k or so. Once the race has started the serious runners just run and pee and then sponge themselves off as they pass a watering table. Canoeists tend to just pee in the boat, if it is equipped with pumps they pump it out, otherwise it just says at the bottom of the boat. You can always tell who has ****** in the boat by the fact that they always fall into the water after the finish (to cool off they will tell you, but we know better!), number twos are more of a problem because of their tendecy to float! I cycle in a hot climate and must be abnormal because I never need to pee during a ride or a race, probably I am not hydrating enough.

Yeah I used to do rowing and in those long head races you had to row about 20 mins upriver and then sit another 20mins waiting for your start... Some of my clubmates couldn't take the wait, having been well hydrated, so they would just go in a bottle - or worse get the rest of the crew to balance the boat while they stood up and fertilised the riverbank.

But mid-race? ewww...

Originally posted by leifclarke
You actually stop during the race? Highschool crosscountry races are so short. Stopping in one would be the equvalent of stopping in a 10k TT. You'd lose tons of spots.

Myself, I've tried to pee off the bike a lot of times. I just can't squeeze a drop. Some sort of stage fright factor. I've had teammates push me along, I'm tried to just go in my pants, etc. But it just won't let go! It's a terrible feeling when in the first 10k's of a 100+k road race you realize you have to pee and pace is already fast.

Leif
I don't normalyy go during a race because you can lose a ton of spots. For instance the first runner is usually a good 100 meters ahead of the second one, so when Im in first if i were to stop and take a leak, then the next runner would pass me, and that would be too valuable time, so I let it out before a race. Usually right before if I can.

I'll be doing a 100km race on the Jan 4th.

I don't want to stop for a pee either...

Not sure what the local rules are here in Japan, but I think I'll find out about the 60km mark....

Think I'll grease myself up with vaseline before the race as I don't want to get nappy rash by the 100km mark....

Am I going to stink?
Or will all the pre race fluids and sweat make it sweet?

Do you guys stop and duck into the bushes or do you just let it leak out? I guess if I make sure to relieve myself as often as possible not much will splash out!!!

Greg was teasing. Peeing off the bike is standard practice, which you will see in race coverage from time to time - by accident, as the cameramen normally politely avert their gaze. When the racing is slow there are pitstops, but if the racing is on, and you have to go... It helps to have a teammate to push. Peeing off the bike is nothing - ask anyone who's done a tour for their favourite ablution horrow stories.

Originally posted by zmanzzzz
...or do you pull over and catch back up?

my friend was fish guiding for lemond and asked him that very question. greg told him he stopped and then caught up.

I am SOOo so freaking glad I dont' get the 'trots' when I BIKE.
man.

I hate that

someone told me to NOT eat nuts at all before a run. so I don't and it seemed to solve the problem. of course he doesnt run wth me anymore. Hhah=ahahahahaha ok bad joke.
eeeeeeeew
just kidding

very bad joke.

but biking really . uhm.
No I usually stop and use a tree. though I hear other chicks sometimes just pee while running or biking. I can't imagine the chafing it would bring on later.
ouchies

haha, this is the funniest thread I'v read on any forum in a while.
If I had to take a wizz I would grab one of my bottles (whichever is empty or lowest on fluid) and take a leak in there, I don't see how taking a leak while riding is possible without getting it all over you as the wind would surely spill it all over.
Someone needs to make a how-to video of that :p

Originally posted by Smitty
haha, this is the funniest thread I'v read on any forum in a while.
If I had to take a wizz I would grab one of my bottles (whichever is empty or lowest on fluid) and take a leak in there, I don't see how taking a leak while riding is possible without getting it all over you as the wind would surely spill it all over.
Someone needs to make a how-to video of that :p

Afterwards, you can always helpfully offer the bottle to a competitor:)

I've got a solution, we could use a catheter with a rubber hose plumbed to either an empty water bottle or a Camelbak. That would work!

Mel:D

Arnie Bakers book "Bicycling Medicine" is excellent, http://www.arniebakercycling.com/books/b_bic_med.htm, and he goes into this issue of having to pee while racing. According to Arnie we have more blood volume and the kidneys produce more urine during low intensity exercise, once the pace picks up your body diverts more blood to the muscles and less to the kidneys. His advice is to hydrate well for two days prior to the race, don't drink too much the morning of the race then warm up for an hour, take a pee, then race. Don't start drinking until the pace picks up and you're in high intensity mode then you won't have to pee.
His book is a great read and he covers material that I haven't read anywhere else, worth the $15. He's a physician, surgeon and champion racer, pretty amazing guy.

Mel

Originally posted by MD-CYCLIST
Dear All

Its not Sick Its called Determination and Not wanting to top and give your rivals a chance to pull away, as for the Ladies I am sure they will kiss me because I am cute and Lovely hahahah.
Well there is a way around the wet Patch If you get your drinking bottle and Prettend your drinking from it, while you are on your bike racing so if you are going to urinate your self drop some liquid on to your short so it looks like the wet patch came from drinking So spreay oyur shorts and your top so its all wet and people will automatically think you sprayed your self with your own drinking bottle.
If there was some other rider Behind and you really need to **** well spray your self soo much that you start driping and then urinate so when your urine is driping the rider behind thinks its still the water dripping, these are some great ways to save embarresement, well I hope to have helped you and I hope to hear from you very soon.

Kind regards
A H Khadra

Okay, I'm new to these forums, but I'm losing it here. Some of this stuff is really funny.

Originally posted by Kupa
I was in a race back east, many years ago and saw a team-member **** while riding in the pack. It was a country road course, and his line was far right as possible. He pulled the right leg of his shorts up, and let go. It was very messy. All over his bike, feet and leg. He was not popular after wetting a good number of other riders in the pack. He was ridiculed mercilessly after that, for a really long time.

Don't **** in a pack.

Cheers....

I always pull to the back of the pack and let go. Stay until it is dry and safe to get up front again.

Cutter

what about number 2s.

Anyone poked a 'turtle out' while riding. A thought for that poor fellow - and we all know of at least one! who has 'Caked his shorts' due to having a severe dose of the runs.

Personnally I never draught any potential soilers. Could you imagine the results. You'd be picking the aftermath out of your teeth for months. heeee he

YUCK