Do You Prefer Bikes With Suspension Or Without?

Kuraya

Jul 15, 2015
I like my bike quite a bit, it's an American bike so old that I have no idea what brand it is of, but the point is that it lacks suspension. It's intended to be a road bike, I presume, so theoretically that is alright, but sometimes I wish I had suspension. I live in a very uneven region with a lot of elevation change, so there are lots of hills, bumps and other rapid changes in elevation, so I end up getting a good shake every now and then, and those are the times I wish I had suspension. However, I have heard that suspension on your bike makes it slower or less maneuverable, but I don't think thats true. So tell me, owners of suspension clad bikes, is a bike with suspension a good investment or a waste of money? I am considering buying one, so your responses are valuable.

I definitely go for bikes with suspension.

I do a lot of mixed surface riding and the suspension is really nice in dealing with the ruts and bumps in the trails a lot. While for road riding it may not be that good, it does not really give me that much concern if I'm honest. I just love the ability of it to be able to go almost anywhere and deal with just about any surface.

Always with suspension. It could be a bumpy ride and you need to prepare for them in advance. You don't want to feel sick now, do you?

Greetings, Full suspension adds weight, more wear points (pivots), absorbs peddling energy that you could be using to propel you, and your bike forward. When you enter any rough terrain, stand up out of the saddle, and allow your legs, and arms to act as your suspension! Keep your bike, as it's most likely better than many new bikes!
Cheers

skoda said:
Greetings, Full suspension adds weight, more wear points (pivots), absorbs peddling energy that you could be using to propel you, and your bike forward. When you enter any rough terrain, stand up out of the saddle, and allow your legs, and arms to act as your suspension! Keep your bike, as it's most likely better than many new bikes!
Cheers
Amen. Get the biggest tire that will fit your present fork and stays. You'll lose some speed, but increase your comfort. And the above mentioning using your arms/legs? Right on. The whole bike will absorb the shock including the tires.

I'll have to pick suspension as I am someone that enjoys going on an adventure ride and it is only I have the balance of the bike that I am using will I be able to make such come to reality. Although, people might have different reasons for not going with a suspension on their bikes.

without, there is no reason to have a suspension tail or fork unless your doing real technical downhill racing. I have a rigid mountain bike that I use to ride on rough trails in the southern California mountains with people that had fully suspension bikes, and some had suspension forks only, I never had any difficulty keeping up with them. Like I said I can see it's necessary for certain types of racing but beyond that I don't. Besides shock forks cost money, and you can't even get a decent one on a bike till you get to $800 plus for a bike, shock forks and full suspension bikes takes more watts to propel it down the road or trail because they absorb some of those watts through the suspension as you pedal leaving less watts to the rear.

So for me it's a no.

I don’t know if I actually prefer one over the other. I suppose that both have their benefits and disadvantages.

On one hand, if you’re riding without suspension on really bad roads, it can sometimes honestly feel like your brain is rattling around in your skull. Surprisingly, I don’t find suspension nearly as necessary while mountain biking as I do while joyriding on a bad road.

On the other hand, while suspension might make the ride move convenient, I feel like riding without suspension really allows you to feel the road and get a more “fulfilling” riding experience. What’s life without a little challenge?

I don’t know if I actually prefer one over the other. I suppose that both have their benefits and disadvantages.

On one hand, if you’re riding without suspension on really bad roads, it can sometimes honestly feel like your brain is rattling around in your skull. Surprisingly, I don’t find suspension nearly as necessary while mountain biking as I do while joyriding on a bad road.

On the other hand, while suspension might make the ride move convenient, I feel like riding without suspension really allows you to feel the road and get a more “fulfilling” riding experience. What’s life without a little challenge?

Making use of the suspension on the bike when we are riding is a way to ensure that we don't have those reactions from our body each time we are out there riding our bikes.

Cheers

Another amen. All suspension forks and bikes are really good for is for racing technical fast downhill stuff, otherwise they're unnecessary, and the racing stuff cost a lot of money the cheap suspension stuff isn't good for anything. I have a non suspended MTB that I used on trails all over the southern California mountains and never felt I needed a suspended bike.