Do you prefer to buy new or used bikes?

You're right, and sometimes, the bike it's already set up, all you need is in there already installed. The always first thing to ask is, the issue, why the owner wants to sell it in that condition. But honestly in our country, its really hard to buy a cheaper bike and in good condition, first come to your mind is, this bike might be stolen one. :)

As for buying a stolen bike, I always demand for the receipt when the bike was purchased. Also, I try as much as I can to make things work pretty well in the sense that I buy from those that I can trust.

as a beginner, I prefer used one to practice my skills or train, then I will buy a new one.

You can also hire, as that is how most guys that learnt how to ride here did, before going out to buy. It is that simple if you are set on acbachiev it.

Depends on your budget actually. If you don't have any problem about money, I suggest you buy a new one.
I tried using my friends bike for practicing, it helped a little yes. But it is more secure and safer if you use a brand new bike for practice. You won't worry about the chain, pedals, and other parts of the bike. The more secure you are, the faster you'll learn. But if you have a tight budget, then try searching for used bike from your friends. Better to buy from people you know actually.

Depends on your budget actually. If you don't have any problem about money, I suggest you buy a new one.
I tried using my friends bike for practicing, it helped a little yes. But it is more secure and safer if you use a brand new bike for practice. You won't worry about the chain, pedals, and other parts of the bike. The more secure you are, the faster you'll learn. But if you have a tight budget, then try searching for used bike from your friends. Better to buy from people you know actually.

The budget at hand can go a long way to ensure proper decision making. I have been in that situation and i decided to biy a used one, but it doesn't mean that getting a new one ain't nice as well.

Yes I agree. It might as well help you learn fast and safely. But if someone will use it for practice, there are cheaper bicycles in the market. We can make use of it for practicing safely. We don't want anyone in danger using a bicycle, but there is a saying "no one learns cycling without getting some bruises" :) Well, I don't know but I learned cycling without getting hurt, maybe because I am a girl and I am too carefull in driving?
The budget at hand can go a long way to ensure proper decision making. I have been in that situation and i decided to biy a used one, but it doesn't mean that getting a new one ain't nice as well.
s

Used is fine, my first bike was used and second was new. I saved 300 or so buying used for my first bike and I was able to buy my second bike for 35% off saving 700 or so bucks. It really depends on the pricing and trusting the seller. If buying used, buy used from a reliable shop.

Used is fine, my first bike was used and second was new. I saved 300 or so buying used for my first bike and I was able to buy my second bike for 35% off saving 700 or so bucks. It really depends on the pricing and trusting the seller. If buying used, buy used from a reliable shop.

This is good advice. I found that most newcomers prefer buying used bikes so that they can practice as much as they want. Then they'll get new ones after they're used to riding often.

Reactions: Uawadall
Personally, I would prefer to getting a new bike than a used bike. I really thought that it would be satisfyingly great if I would be the one to worn off a bike of my own and see the marks on it that I made when starting to ride it. I'd like to see a new bike as well instead of a used one because I am excited to ride it and it's new.

Personally, I would prefer to getting a new bike than a used bike. I really thought that it would be satisfyingly great if I would be the one to worn off a bike of my own and see the marks on it that I made when starting to ride it. I'd like to see a new bike as well instead of a used one because I am excited to ride it and it's new.

The only thing I’d tell a new rider buying a new bike is, don’t get carbon and opt for a cheaper group set. Most people will have a few minor spills if not crashes at some point. Carbon is more susceptible to get damaged in a crash and can even be damaged by over torquing components. You have to be more delicate with carbon than alloy.

Buy cheap components that can easily be replaced after newbie maintenance errors or damage. I messed up with putting a chain that was too small on my bike a few years back. The rear derailer went into the cassette and got destroyed. Luckily it was Tiagra Components and it only cost 30 bucks for the part. If it were a better groupset, the cost would be significantly more(like 30/40 bucks more).

Hello, bikers!

Do you prefer to buy new or used bikes? Do you think buying used bikes are worth it to save money? Or would you rather buy brand new and pay the full price to make sure that there are no issues with the bike you're buying?

Would you recommend a beginner to buy used because he will use it for practice and ensure that he really likes the sport before spending money on a brand new? Or will you tell beginners to stay away from buying used because they don't know how to check the specs or parts of the bike properly yet?

What are your thoughts?
As a beginner, I would prefer the used bike as it costs me very less than the new one. Also, I will buy the new one when I am fully trained.