Do you prefer to buy new or used bikes?

Apr 26, 2018
Hello, bikers!

Do you prefer to buy new or used bikes? Do you think buying used bikes are worth it to save money? Or would you rather buy brand new and pay the full price to make sure that there are no issues with the bike you're buying?

Would you recommend a beginner to buy used because he will use it for practice and ensure that he really likes the sport before spending money on a brand new? Or will you tell beginners to stay away from buying used because they don't know how to check the specs or parts of the bike properly yet?

What are your thoughts?

Buying used bikes for a beginner is fine, I think there are a lot of reliable places where you can buy quality secondhand bikes, you just have to look. It's best that the person has tried biking first before buying if no one else is biking in your household, in case that you might not enjoy biking as much. Either way, you're most likely to replace your first bike as you become more adept at biking for your own satisfaction.

It doesn't matter one way or the other with me. Used bikes I know what I'm looking for and looking at so there is no risk for me there, new bikes I get what I want with up to date components. But I usually recommend for the new rider to get a used bike because they can save a ton of money, and I usually recommend not to spend more than $300 for one. The reason I recommend used and for under $300 is because used you can get a nicer bike, plus about 72% of all people who rush out and buy some sort of fitness equipment end up not ever using it, so to prevent expensive garage art spending $300 or less is a great spot.

Of course much better to buy a new one and to become the first owner. But if the second hand is much more cheaper and if it's also very comfortable to use and still looks great, I will choose the used bike.

Buying used isn't a big deal, a lot of cars are sold used with no issues, in fact that's all I have ever bought are used cars and never have problems, the same is true with the bikes. Over the last 40 years I've bought 4 used bikes, all but 1 of those bikes I still have and use, in fact one of them is my main touring bike! The one I don't have I gave to a friend who still uses it and never had any issues. Let me tell you something, when you're touring you don't want a worn out piece of junk, my touring bike was 100% original when I bought it used and still is till this day. What's really weird is that I have found 2 bikes in dumpsters, one I gave to my youngest daughter, and it has never had an issue, the other is another touring bike that took a lot of cleaning to get some sort of unidentified sticky blackish goo off of it but now looks and runs real well and I would think nothing of it taking it on a long trip.

Besides that what happens after you buy a new bike and you've ridden it? It becomes used! I still have and ride a "new" bike that I bought in 1984, it has over 150,000 miles on it, and I don't even think about it possibly breaking on a ride, of course I don't ride that bike far or as much as my newest bike which is a 2013 I bought new that now has about 8,000 miles on it. Geez my main touring bike I bought used has less miles on it then my main road bike!

There are lot of people who buy bikes with the good intentions of riding it, which they do for about 3 to 6 months putting about 250 to maybe a 1,000 miles on them, and then it sets in their garage till one day, who knows how many years down the road, they decide to sell it in a garage sale. Those are excellent bikes to buy. One of the used bikes I bought about 5 years ago only had 5 miles on it since it was purchased new in 1984! This bike was so new the rear derailleur wasn't even broken in yet! My main touring bike only had about 250 miles on it when I bought it; the touring bike I rescued out of a dumpster I'm not sure but it looks to have all the origina stuff including ring gears and rear cluster so I'm thinking with the little wear on the gear cluster it has between 3,000 to 5,000 miles on it, and the ring gears still look new.

Anyway long story short, I would never shy away from a gently used bike for riding because a lot of those bikes will have less miles on them then most bikes that were purchased new by people here on this forum are riding. Scared of buying a used bike? you shouldn't be. If you're not sure what to inspect on a used bike to see if it's good ask here; the one thing I would strongly recommend against buying used is a carbon fiber bike.

I am not an elitist but the culture here is that only poor people buy used bikes unless the bike is owned by your friend. For me, I would always prefer a new bike especially when I have the money. And trying out a new bike for a good ride is imperative so I can have the feel of the pedal and the saddle plus the handle bar. There are bikes that are difficult to steer and there's one time that I had tried a bike that I had difficulty with the balance. Anyway, a new bike means brand new so I would be the first one to use it.

Reactions: Steve5
There is absolutely nothing wrong at all with buying pre-owned bikes.
It really does help if you know what you are buying or you have a knowledgeable friend with you at the point of prospective purchase.
I have been cycling for some 60+yrs and other than a brand new Coventry Eagle Flat-bar bike that was bought for me as a Christmas gift (Mum & Dad) I have only ever had only three other brand new bikes.
I am really quite lucky in so much as I can/will and have built my own on pre-owned naked frames or in one case a total rebuild of a rather sad Benotto Modelo 850.
Buying new bikes is akin to buying new cars and motorcycles - if there were not those about that were either blessed with far to much money and liked the 'Bling Effect' or the adoration from others that perhaps are not so impetus then there would not be the ones available for some of us to invest in.
I have recently culled my collection of steeds down to two from five - both built by me on naked frames with the Steve Goff being a rescue bike and taken back to Steve for some professional TLC with some Silver Solder and then a truly fabulous paint job by C&G Finishes,Liverpool and fitted with Chromed Forks by me to complete the effect.
Both of my bikes are on Campagnolo Steve Goff (13).JPG DSCF4337.JPG

It all depends on what kind of deal I can get, but I typically buy more used bikes than new. In fact, we own three 'cross bikes that were previously owned by professional riders. In each case, a year-old bike in fantastic shape cost less than half the price it was new.

I typically buy framesets for my road bikes and build them myself, since I can't find what I want in an off-the-shelf model.

We've also bought bikes from direct-sales companies, since the prices are much better than dealer-specific brands. However, these have been fat bikes and hardtails, which are pretty hard to screw up. I'm more finicky about my drop-bar bikes.

I don't really buy brand new ones, what I do when I want a new MTB is assemble one from parts that I've bought or traded from friends and whenever I have the majority of parts needed then I just buy the missing parts to assemble a new bike.

There are also times when friends wants to swap or sell their MTB's for one reason or another and if the price is low enough then I buy it and resell it for a profit if I don't really like it. Sometimes I swap the bikes for other items. Like one time I swap an MTB which I bought for $200 for an LED 39" Smart TV and it was brand new, unused which the owner was selling for months but couldn't sell it, so I profited from that deal.

I prefer to buy new bikes. It's not really worth it when you avoid the inevitable. All bikes have a limit and when their time is up, you should replace them as soon as possible. Not only will your performance improve, your safety will also be kept secure.

Buying used bikes for a beginner is fine, I think there are a lot of reliable places where you can buy quality secondhand bikes, you just have to look. It's best that the person has tried biking first before buying if no one else is biking in your household, in case that you might not enjoy biking as much. Either way, you're most likely to replace your first bike as you become more adept at biking for your own satisfaction.

I agree. Just because a bike is used doesn't mean it's unreliable. Lots of bikers decide to sell their bikes in favor of newer and better models. Eventually we all do it. Just like technology, everything improves over time.

It doesn't matter one way or the other with me. Used bikes I know what I'm looking for and looking at so there is no risk for me there, new bikes I get what I want with up to date components. But I usually recommend for the new rider to get a used bike because they can save a ton of money, and I usually recommend not to spend more than $300 for one. The reason I recommend used and for under $300 is because used you can get a nicer bike, plus about 72% of all people who rush out and buy some sort of fitness equipment end up not ever using it, so to prevent expensive garage art spending $300 or less is a great spot.

I think it's useful advice. Most beginners end up replacing their bikes as soon as they get used to it. It's likely because there are better options out there. It's probably just how people decide to improve their gears.

Of course much better to buy a new one and to become the first owner. But if the second hand is much more cheaper and if it's also very comfortable to use and still looks great, I will choose the used bike.

Simple yet useful information. Sometimes you're even surprised to find great bike models at a cheaper price in secondhand shops. Personally, I still prefer new bikes because I want to be the first owner.

I am not an elitist but the culture here is that only poor people buy used bikes unless the bike is owned by your friend. For me, I would always prefer a new bike especially when I have the money. And trying out a new bike for a good ride is imperative so I can have the feel of the pedal and the saddle plus the handle bar. There are bikes that are difficult to steer and there's one time that I had tried a bike that I had difficulty with the balance. Anyway, a new bike means brand new so I would be the first one to use it.

I like how you think. I don't feel that it's elitist to want something new. We all prefer items that weren't used prior to us buying them. It gives us a sense of comfort and security.

And yes, sometimes used bikes tend to have problems that you'll notice after you've already bought it.

In the news the other night was about a young man who steals bikes. He was caught by a CCTV, the reason why he was arrested. The thief said that he sells the bike for 1,500 pesos, that's about $30. The arresting cop said that the "fence" which is the person who bought a stolen item can also be jailed. That's one issue in buying a used bike here.

I did buy used bikes but then again it depends on the condition of it. I wouldn't just go buy one though. The two ones I bought were for a project that I wanted to do. Frame condition is probably the most important for me, you can always replace the groupset (chains and all that) but if anything happens to the frame, you are effed up. Also then there are these times when you find used bikes for like quite cheap, it's just really tempting..

as a beginner, I prefer used one to practice my skills or train, then I will buy a new one.

That is true in the sense that I've got a used bike before when I noticed that it was in good condition with the seller needing some funds for another agenda. I always make such purchases since they are cheaper as well.

That is true in the sense that I've got a used bike before when I noticed that it was in good condition with the seller needing some funds for another agenda. I always make such purchases since they are cheaper as well.
You're right, and sometimes, the bike it's already set up, all you need is in there already installed. The always first thing to ask is, the issue, why the owner wants to sell it in that condition. But honestly in our country, its really hard to buy a cheaper bike and in good condition, first come to your mind is, this bike might be stolen one. :)