Do you prefer to buy new or used bikes?

zzzzhjv456

Jun 27, 2019
Do you prefer to buy new or used bikes? Do you think buying used bikes are worth it to save money? Or would you rather buy brand new and pay the full price to make sure that there are no issues with the bike you're buying?

Would you recommend a beginner to buy used because he will use it for practice and ensure that he really likes the sport before spending money on a brand new? Or will you tell beginners to stay away from buying used because they don't know how to check the specs or parts of the bike properly yet?

Do you prefer to buy new or used bikes?

I prefer to buy used, assuming I can find one close enough to my preferences.

Do you think buying used bikes are worth it to save money?
For me, who is experienced enough to judge condition and/or cost of repairs reasonably well - yes. Last autumn I picked up a road bike at 1/10 of its purchase price and about 1/4 of its expected "pre-owned" price because the owner couldn't be bothered to part with the required $60 it needed in parts to remain functional.

Or would you rather buy brand new and pay the full price to make sure that there are no issues with the bike you're buying?

Only time I'd "happily" pay full price is if I had no idea on how to go about getting the bike serviced, and/or where to source parts.
Or their cost.
One example is ebikes.
A huge part of the cost of an ebike is the battery. Buying a used ebike and ending up having to buy a new name brand battery would quickly sour the deal.

Besides, bicycles are pretty much all designed under weight restrictions.
All-out longevity and reliability have been sacrificed to keep weight down.
All bikes that sees regular use will develop "issues" within a foreseeable future.

Would you recommend a beginner to buy used because he will use it for practice and ensure that he really likes the sport before spending money on a brand new?

Depends on what buying support the beginner can get, and how financially sensitive he is.
Generally, buying a (too) cheap (department store) bicycle to find out if you like cycling may not end up well, as many of those bikes are simply too crude to perform well enough to give a reasonable representation of what riding is like.
An ideal, financially sensible situation for a beginner is probably buying a used bike from a shop that offers a limited warranty (1-3 months) on trade-ins, bikes never picked up after repairs, or previous rental bikes or something like that.

Or to pay a mechanic to inspect a bike the beginner is considering to buy, with the seller being informed that purchase hinges on the outcome of the inspection.

Or to have someone they trust AND knows bikes along to inspect the bike prior to purchase.

The price drop between 2nd and 3rd owner is nowhere near as steep as the price drop between 1st and 2nd owner.
An already used quality bike a few years old can generally be resold pretty much at the same price one season later.
Plenty of time to find out if you like riding or not. And minimal loss of money.

For someone willing to soak up the money loss between shop price and resell value, go ahead and buy new.
The bike should perform well, and if it doesn't, you have a full, no-arguments warranty to rely on.

Or will you tell beginners to stay away from buying used because they don't know how to check the specs ..of the bike properly yet?

Checking the spec is a so-so thing.
It's important if you think you're buying (and paying for) one particular model of a bike.
The bling value and bragging rights that goes with owning something like a Pinarello Dogma would be seriously degraded if someone had stuck a Sora crankset on it.
In car speak, it'd be like having a Shelby Cobra with a 4-cylinder engine out of a compact under the hood.
It's not as important from a functional perspective.
If it works, it works. No big deal.
That 4-cylinder will take you to the supermarket and back just as well as the snarling V8.
Maybe even easier.

Or will you tell beginners to stay away from buying used because they don't know how to check the specs..of the bike properly yet?
Depends on who they're buying from.
And their degree of cluelessness.
And their ability to recruit help.
But yeah, if you have zero ability to judge condition, zero ability to get some help with judging condition, and no reason to trust the seller, then don't buy used unless you're willing to risk needing to pay hundreds of dollars for parts and repairs to get the bike in working order.

Do you prefer to buy new or used bikes? Do you think buying used bikes are worth it to save money? Or would you rather buy brand new and pay the full price to make sure that there are no issues with the bike you're buying?
Buying a brand new bike doesn't guarantee you won't have any problems. I bought a new Specialized Fatboy from a bike shop. I was about fifteen miles from home when I changed down to the lowest gear. The chain came off and got wrapped around the axle, jammed between the large cog and the pie plate. I had a devil of a job to dig it out but I got it out, eventually. After getting it back home I put it up on a bike work stand and found not only was the low limit screw way out (leaving the chain to come off the cog) but the high limit screw wouldn't allow the chain to drop on to the smallest cog. And this wasn't the only problem I had with that bike shop. Five botch jobs in total, across three new bikes!

I now do all my own wrenching. If you have mechanical ability, there's a lot of information on the Internet to teach you how to do your own wrenching. You'll need to build up a tool set for the various jobs.

A used bike can save you money provided you don't buy something that needs a ton of work done on it. If you don't know what you're looking at, perhaps take a knowledgeable friend with you to check it out. Make sure it's rideable and that the brakes and gears function properly before you hand over the cash. Look at the tires for dry rot (cracks in the sidewalls).

I love fixing old bikes. I just put one back in action that my sister-in-law found at the dump, recently. The pedals wouldn't turn because one of the BB caged bearings was rusty and disintegrated. The chain was a bit rusty and hanging off the cogs. The brakes didn't work because the cables were rusty, and the V brake arms were wide spread. The freewheel didn't want to turn as it should, just a bit of rust inside, I presume. Apart from those things it wasn't a bad bike. So new brake cables with housings, a new gear cable, new caged bearings for the BB, clean up rusty parts and paint with black Rustoleum, and the bike rides like new. $16 in parts.

A perfectionist would have put a new chain and freewheel on the bike, but I wanted to see how it would run after cleaning and lubing the chain, and pouring some oil inside the freewheel. Not much point in replacing those parts if the bike is generally worthless. It all worked out well.

It has a nice aluminum frame but only 24" wheels, so it's a not a bike I'll use. It will go into a yard sale later in the year. And if I can't get $30 for it, I'll find a kid who needs a bike and can't afford one, and I'll give it to him/her.
bike repair 3.png

I'd rather buy new bikes. I don't like anything used and I sure am glad I did. I have had 2 frames crack on me and both were replaced as the original owner hassle free from Trek.

Had I bought the bikes used, I'd be schkrewed! They don't honor the warranty if not original owner.

I agree with learning to wrench one's own bikes. I did, also started building wheels and have saved a ton of money on repairs and less hassle trying to explain to bike shop wheel guys that a crooked wheel needs more than just being trued. Tension is a big part of a good durable wheel.

I had a friend who was going to do a 60 mile trip to his bike shop needing the rear derailleur adjusted. Pulled over on the side of the road, turned the barrel, there! Saved him a 60 mile trip, maybe 2 if he had to leave it over night.

Hey! I totally get where you're coming from. Buying new bikes can definitely give you peace of mind, especially when it comes to warranty coverage. It's awesome that Trek was hassle-free in replacing the cracked frames for you. That's the kind of customer service we all hope for. And I agree, learning to do maintenance and repairs on your own can be a game-changer. Building your own wheels is a great skill to have, and it definitely saves you money and the hassle of explaining what's going on to the bike shop. Keep up the great work and happy riding! ‍♂️