Do you race/TT with a HRM on?

Discussion in 'Cycling Training' started by Aztec, Feb 26, 2004.

1. Aztec

Aztec New Member

I have my first 40K TT in a week. I'm wondering if I should bother wearing my HRM. On the one hand, I would know I might be going too hard and am headed for a blowup. On the other hand, I might not want to know that!

I've never noticed the chest belt showing through anyone's skinsuit, so that leads me to think I should skip it and go by how I feel.

Tags:

2. nhorscro

nhorscro New Member

I race with mine but that's mainly because I download my data later and like to see where I could have been going harder or may have been going too hard.
    In crits it's often too risky to look down at a HRM but sometimes if I'm coming off the front or after a sprint I check my recovery. Overall I'm not concerned about how high it is, but more interested in if I can go harder.

3. bikemonk

bikemonk New Member

The thing with TT is to start with let's say 80% of your capacity and the moment you finish to be at about 105%. Depending on the course and conditions you might want to know where you should put the hammer down and when not to. I raced a 40Km TT on the weekend and because of the course, a short but steep hill right in the middle with head wind to the finish, I had the opportunity to better control my strength. It might be my imagination but I think it helped.

4. Hitchy

Hitchy New Member

G'day,

I always race with mine on, mainly so I can download the data later. I also use it to check my 'perceived' effort with 'actual', or 'how I'm going'. In a TT, i tend to pace myself to my HRM. You need to remember that for many people, race day provides an adrenaline 'boost' which will increase your HR anyway. Its important to know 'your' body before worrying too much about the readouts on a HRM in a race situation,

cheers,

Hitchy

5. beerco

beerco New Member

I have tt'd with a polar power meter but ignored the HR number. My HR will usually be elevated by 5bpm (or as much as 15 sometimes) due to nerves and other factors leaving HR a very unreliable parameter to pace to.

If you have a downloadable HR monitor or one that records average, you may want to wear it, but you'll probably just learn that race HR is different than training HR.

6. Aztec

Aztec New Member

Hmmm. Given this is my first competition of any kind since teen years, it may make sense to not look at the HR. I have a HAC4, so I can record it.

I am sure I laugh later at what I suspect will be a HR of 120+ at the line, followed by way too much effort for the first few miles, followed by burnout and absolute exhaustion at the finish! Watch for the Vegas odds line on how many riders will pass me (starts are on 30 sec intervals).