Do you really need a front derailleur designed for a compact?

PeterF

Sep 13, 2004
My cross bike has a 46/36t crankset. I decided for winter road use I'd like to use the 50/34 rings that came with the crank when I bought it (Centaur). I have heard you need a compact compatible front deraileur for a 16t drop between chainrings. Not wanting to shell out more bike money, I figured I'd try it with the standard Chorus 10 speed front derailleur (alloy). I adjusted it to my normal tolerances and took it for a ride. I honestly can't tell the difference between shifting a compact crank versus shifting a standard crank. Each shift was exactly as planned and the 16t drop was fine. Is the notion of a compact front derailleur just a whole lot of hooey? I tend to think that shelling out $50-$100 for a new front d is a big waste of money. Is there any real-world data that tells me why I need a front derailleur designed for a compact crank? Thanks.

PeterF said:
...Is there any real-world data that tells me why I need a front derailleur designed for a compact crank? Thanks.
No, if your shifting is good, then go with it. That's what I do on my primary road and cross bike. My winter bike has a fairly high brazed on derailleur hanger and shifting a compact crank with a standard Ultegra front derailleur was pretty spotty. I went with a SRAM Rival derailleur on that bike, they only make one style in terms of cage design but it has high and low braze on mounting holes which worked real nicely on that frame. So if you can't get the chainring to derailleur cage clearance you'd like you might think about SRAM front derailleurs.

-Dave

Question: I posted this, but it didn't update. I posted it again and it took, but I have two posts. How do I delete a post?

PeterF said:
My cross bike has a 46/36t crankset. I decided for winter road use I'd like to use the 50/34 rings that came with the crank when I bought it (Centaur). I have heard you need a compact compatible front deraileur for a 16t drop between chainrings. Not wanting to shell out more bike money, I figured I'd try it with the standard Chorus 10 speed front derailleur (alloy). I adjusted it to my normal tolerances and took it for a ride. I honestly can't tell the difference between shifting a compact crank versus shifting a standard crank. Each shift was exactly as planned and the 16t drop was fine. Is the notion of a compact front derailleur just a whole lot of hooey? I tend to think that shelling out $50-$100 for a new front d is a big waste of money. Is there any real-world data that tells me why I need a front derailleur designed for a compact crank? Thanks.

cyberlegend1994 said:

Thank you.