Do You Recommend Rollers For Training? Which Ones?

Discussion in 'Cycling Training' started by Zif, Apr 21, 2015.

1. Zif

Zif New Member

Right now the weather is nice, but I'd like to keep my fitness over the winter as well. I've read about bike rollers and I'm interested but don't know much about the pros and cons. Does anyone use these for training? How do you like them compared to other methods?

Tags:

2. Nigel Doyle

Nigel Doyle Member

Suggest you search for "crashes indoor rollers" on Youtube. Might make you change your mind. No way would you get me on rollers. I use a Cyclops Fluid 2 trainer. That combined with virtual power on Trainerroad.com using training videos with power profiles is a great way to stay in shape over winter.

3. BrianMacDonald

BrianMacDonald New Member

Rollers are more of a mental exercise than trainers. Sometimes that's good and sometimes that's not good. They can be good for your form, but they can be also bad for the walls of the room you have them in. The eMotion rollers seek to solve a lot of these issues with little wheels that guide the bike wheels and also a floating frame that allows the bike to move a bit. I don't have them but I know people who do and they say they are great. Most people who want to train in winter have stationary trainers. If they have rollers then they use those some percentage of the time but not as their primary means of training.

4. ABNPFDR

ABNPFDR Member

I like rollers every now and pit the bike on them about once a week but I find it hard to concentrate on the training plan so I spend most of the time on a more conventional trainer

5. Zif

Zif New Member

Thanks! This has all been really good info. Perhaps I'll start out with a more conventional trainer once when winter is coming and I need to keep up my fitness!

6. Felt_Rider

Felt_Rider Active Member

I have E-Motion rollers and have a good number of hours on them. I recently bought a fork stand attachment that will allow me to use the rollers in a traditional way or lock the front fork and use it similar to a fixed trainer without having to balance. Of course the E-Motion rollers are easier to balance anyway, but there are times when one might want to take balance totally out of the equation.

Another benefit coming to the E-Motion rollers is wireless Bluetooth or ANT+ resistance control that can be utilized with a program like TrainerRoad or PerfPro in ERG mode. Of course one would benefit with having a power meter, but those programs also have simulated or virtual power for various trainers.

E-Motion rollers are fairly expensive, but they have been a good purchase for me. I am also using the Wahoo Kickr as a fixed trainer and use it more these days especially since they now allow for the individual's power meter to control the trainer resistance.

But then again a plain ole ordinary trainer will work just as good. What works the best IMO is the trainer one is more apt to use daily. I have a Kurt Kinetic fluid trainer, but never really like the feel and did not log as many indoor hours. So while it was cheaper I found it tougher to motivate myself to use it properly and daily.

7. Zif

Zif New Member

These do look really nice though I don't think I could afford them right now, I suppose if you can't afford the ideal solution you just have to look to the pros and cons of the more affordable ones. It's good to know if I get really serious though!

8. maydog

maydog Well-Known Member

I have an inexpensive set of rollers that I purchased from performance bike. Over the winter months I put several hours on them and have not fallen once. One time I did ride off the side, but the wheels landed on the frame where I just balanced for a few seconds before putting my hand to the wall.

I found the basic rollers lacking resistance. I could pretty easily spin up to 30mph and even hold 40mph for a minute or so. To correct this I built a frame to hold the rollers in place and located a large shop tool rack magnet a few milimeters behind the rear drum. Now the resistance is every bit as good as my stationary trainer with the added benefit of having a more engaging experience since balance is required. Still, I have a difficult time using the rollers much more than 1/2 and hour.

The rollers are only a secondary or tertiary means of exercise for me over the winter months however. I split my training time be either manning up and riding outdoors or attending indoor spin classes. I tend to work harder when there are other people present to "compete" against. The downside of spin is that some of the drills are not too useful for cycling and there is a lack of performance feedback.This week, one of gyms that I attend is getting Matrix IC7 bikes that have integrated power meters so I should be able to dial in effort levels much better.