Do you report potholes?

Veater

May 28, 2016
I don't know how it works in the US or other parts of Europe, but in the UK we have a lot of potholes. Very little ever seems to be done about them, unless you report them to the relevant people and even then it takes a few months. Sometimes getting around to reporting them is too much hassle, as normally you'll be riding when you spot them, and then you may have forgotten about them by the time you get home. But with it being one of the only ways to get potholes sorted out (and potholes generally being such a nuisance, especially to cyclists), do you go out of your way to report them when you spot them?

Nope, I doubt little would be done by reporting them. Some of these roads have been riddled with potholes for years with nothing ever being done about them. They seem to only get bigger. Even if I did want to report them, I'd be filing 1000's of reports...no thanks

If you remember that town of Antipolo that I have been mentioning from time to time, that is the mecca of cyclists because the steep zigzag roads can serve as acid test especially for a newbie. That town has an ordinance that potholes are illegal. Isn't it cute? If you see a pothole, the poster said to report it to a cop or to a community polilce so the local government can repair the road.

But in out town, it was not the case. I was privileged to talk with our mayor last month during the community affair. I had a good 30 minutes of the mayor's ears about the problems I see in our suburban town, mostly the roads. But his usual answer is.... lack of funds.

I highly doubt reporting potholes would lead to any change here in my country. It's a pretty "low priority" problem, and cycling is more for rich people, so it's not the majority of the people that would benefit if they fix up potholes in sidewalks or streets. There are ways that you can report, but then again, you wouldn't see results in months, and that is a really terrible way to go, so most cyclists that ride through streets riddled with potholes would just have to find a way through.

In the US one would generally report them depending on the locality, how effective it is depends on the locality as well. Transportation budgets in the US are a local government matter (county, city, state etc...) so it depends on that local budget and the effectiveness of whatever department handles road repairs.

Yes, I report them in my country (the UK) because a lot of people have issues with them, and even injury if they are cyclists. So I feel as though I do need to report them. However, a lot of the time nothing is done about it as the council don't have the budget to fix things. However, this always backfires on them, as people sue them when their cars are damaged, so there is no way to win really.

Potholes would be the responsibility of lazy, fat, over-paid Democrat-voting sloths we call "government workers".

Thus, they do not get repaired. Until private contractors are paid to go around and half-ass fix the roads...because most of the money already ended up in the hip pockets and pension funds of the "government workers".

I've reported them in the past, but nothing gets done about it. It usually takes a citizen to take a shovel and fill the hole with sand or dirt until the city gets enough complaints to actually do something about it. Nothing more frustrating than saying "hey, something is wrong" and nothing being done about it. I don't report anything anymore unless it's a huge issue. I have hurt myself in a pothole before though and ripped the back of my knee open on my pedal (that was a blast). I was riding in the dark and didn't see it until I was actually in it.

I do report potholes, I pay taxes to help keep paved roads among other things. That the local Mayor is inefficient and incompetent is another story.
Is no unusual to see people's protest about it.

I've reported them in the past, but nothing gets done about it. It usually takes a citizen to take a shovel and fill the hole with sand or dirt until the city gets enough complaints to actually do something about it. Nothing more frustrating than saying "hey, something is wrong" and nothing being done about it. I don't report anything anymore unless it's a huge issue. I have hurt myself in a pothole before though and ripped the back of my knee open on my pedal (that was a blast). I was riding in the dark and didn't see it until I was actually in it.

Where you using a light?

ALL THE TIME!!
Here in NZ most of them get actioned by local councils. There's not always a positive result - but there mostly is.
I log a job with the council about a pothole. If it isn't fixed in 10 working days I make a formal complaint. Sometimes I've had to do that several times to get action.
How do I note them - I carry a pen and pad with me....but mainly I speak to my Fly6 about them and go over my ride later and note them down.

If you're somewhere where almost nothing gets done - take a spray can and spray around them in a contrasting colour like white paint.
It might save the ass of another rider ;-)

I think I report them because I'm getting old and grouchy to be honest. I'm not even sure if I'm doing it for safety or any sort of civic responsibility, or even because I care about tax money.

Pretty sure I'm the only one that reports them. They get fixed within the week when I do...like wtf man, did nobody else even bother to call??? It was that easy???

Well, in my country: No. Not at all, but the roads are maintained annually so that minimises an increased amount of potholes developing, so I guess that helps.

Pothole is the flaw on the surface of the road where a part of the road declined due to weather and time. Excessive amount of water on the surface cause potholes to take place. Potholes soak up water and when it becomes cold enough, starts making cracks in the pavement. To get rid of such unwanted potholes one should contact to professional like asphalt paving Frederick MD at :- www.capitalpavingconstruction and should take Helpful hints about how to maintain the road.

no, I don't have time to wait on the phone for who knows how long to get someone to answer my call then only to find out after months and months nothing was fixed. I got better things to do than contact anything associated with the government.

i think they mostly dont get fixed because people dont report them, either because they dont think anything will happpen or because they figure someone else will report it. the few times ive reported things here in brooklyn, ny, ive definitely noticed a response. especially the two times there was a broken pope under the street and water was coming up. one was there for over a week, the other a few days. i reported it and the next day they were out there fixing them. i also reported regular potholes over a stretch in a park and within a few days they had fixed at least some of it.

definitely should always report them.

(dunno about other places, but here you can report them online, so no waiting on hold endlessly.)