Do you ride in the cold?

Discussion in 'The Bike Cafe' started by leadbutt, Dec 23, 2004.

1. leadbutt

leadbutt New Member

Do you ride when it's cold and wet outside? or does it have to be perfect weather? Sometimes I can ride in the cold, but the combination of the two is almost unbearable here in NC..

Tags:
    haleylx4 likes this.

2. fatbottomedgirl

fatbottomedgirl New Member

yep! Every workday I put on long underwear and merino wool hunting socks, my refelective rain jacket, and head off to work- It's been in the teens to twenties faernheit, and sometimes I have to slow down and take it a little easy to keep from losing my breath, but i never regret it. I might think twice if i saw ice on the road , and I'm not planning to ride my roadie in snow, but so far so good. stick with it and go easy on yourself - inside is not nearly as much fun!

3. waterboy420

waterboy420 New Member

I rode on the weekends, until last week. 40 mph winds, and nasty windchills. Now the layer of ice on the road has me retired to the trainer. Up to this point, windproof tights and jerseys kept me warm and toasty during my rides!

4. eric_the_red

eric_the_red New Member

In this part of the world if you don't ride in the rain you'd miss a lot of days. I just get out the old bike with fenders, put on some raingear and go for it. Once you get out there it isn't nearly as bad as you'd think. Fortunately ice and snow aren't a big problem here.

5. Dr.Hairybiker

Dr.Hairybiker New Member

I put in a short ride Monday when it was 12 below zero, F. That was almost a little too cold. Couldn't keep my ears warm, even with 2 hats on. Put in about 33 miles today, it was around 18-19 degrees F. Toes got a little cold, but I felt great. When it gets this cold I generally don't go all that hard until the last 10 miles or so. I don't want to get too sweaty and take a chance on freezing in an unexpected headwind on the way home. Gotta wear a camelback because anything else (water bottles) will freeze.

6. ItsikH

ItsikH New Member

I do not suffer from cold, except for my fingers and toes which lose sensation very fast. Still, I wouldn't cycle when its below 40. Rain is OK as long as it is not heavy, but then 40 is much too cold because the wet clothes cools you. I used to cycle without a shirt in the rain to prevent that... I wouldn't cycle in cold or rainy conditions unless I expect to get home or somewhere else I could change and get a shower within a reasonable time.

7. denisegoldberg

denisegoldberg New Member

I wish I could comfortably ride when it's really cold out. So far 30 degrees (fahrenheit) is about my limit. Below that I usually walk instead of ride - but above 30 degrees I give in to my bikes screaming at me that they want to be out on the road!

8. Chris_E

Chris_E New Member

went for an ealy morning christmas day ride.

it was about -5 degrees andvery windy, you could hear the frost crackling under your wheels

wore undervest, short summer sleeved top, long winter sleeved top, long-legged thermal bibs, thermal socks skull cap for ear protection, overshoes and winter gloves.

I was as snug as a bug in a rug - except the tips of my fingers- so i guess thermal inners are in order.

I'm a postman ans ride a bike to and from work and on my round so i have to ride in all weathers, doesn't bother me too much as long as my feet aren't cold...lol

my advice - if you're going to do any winter riding wrap up as warm as you can, with as many layers as you can manage

9. ItsikH

ItsikH New Member

I hate wearing too much clothes, so I usually wear only one layer, a short (warm) riding shirt and sleeves which I roll as soon as I warm up. So... last satureday I went cycling with a friend, about 12 degrees (c), when it started raining. Boy, did we freeze, it took us more than an hour to get back home. Still, it was fun:cool:.

10. Virenque

Virenque New Member

Not below 5 (40) degrees! We`re lucky because we have sea about 100km away so training camps are very often and cheap, or we just go to training down there on saturdays and then back home..

11. Shreklookalike

Shreklookalike New Member

I'm surprised that "Yes, but it's gotta be at least 40 degrees or more" is an option on the poll. Folks, if it's at least 40 degrees or more, it isn't cold. :p I don't let the cold stop me from riding.

12. ThanWard

ThanWard New Member

I can do cold, and I can do wet, but I don't much care for cold and wet. As long as it isn't too windy, I enjoy riding at usual road-riding speeds when it is as cold as 30 degrees F. Below that, or even 35 or so with a lot of wind and I find pretty unpleasant.

Sunshine makes lot of difference, too. Especially if you are wearing dark colors you can really soak up quite a bit of heat.

For now, though, the roads up here in the Northeastern U.S. are pretty slushy and the salt and grit on the roads id terrible. It is supposed to be up near 40 tomorrow and Thursday bbut I doubt I will ride. I just got rollers for Christmas and I'm having too much fun inside! :D

13. Virenque

Virenque New Member

True, few degrees below 0 (32) are a lot different than few degrees above it, so why if you don`t have good equipment and if there`s no need to?

14. tanggoman

tanggoman New Member

I ride in the cold only when its above freezing and the roads are dry.

15. Super Otaku

Super Otaku New Member

I ride outside no matter how cold it is outside. I would still be outside even there's lite snow or drizzle, Except if there's too much snow( during middle of winter or this year's winter storm!).

16. maxo

maxo New Member

The coldest ride so far has ben 28* -- but today was the nastiest only 45* but 20-25 mph wind and RAIN!!! 40 miles of smiles:D :D :D lower half was soaking wet shoes socks and tights, top was dry and toasty:) a hot shower never felt so good.

17. wyllisx2

wyllisx2 New Member

I've tried going out below 40 & found that I don't have the right gear/mindset for it. Now that I have a trainer that I got for Christmas I ride inside.

Today it is about 45 F & I'm just about ready to take my 8 year old out for a ride. He really needs to burn off some energy. :)

18. Virenque

Virenque New Member

Today it was about 2 (36) in the shade, but weather was clear, without a cloud and wind! Not cold and not hot in my usual winter gear! It`ll be OK if whole winter would be like today..

19. cobraracer46

cobraracer46 New Member

It can get real cold and windy here in San Francisco, but I hate riding in the rain more than riding in the cold.

20. wiredued

wiredued New Member

Yes cover ears below 55F cover face below 35F if chance of rain or snow is 30% or above don't chance it the combination of cold and rain takes the joy out of it.