Do you ride in the cold?

in the rain so you guys still ride your road bikes or do you switch to something that has more traction?

just let my tyres down a little (90-100psi) and i'm away...heavy frost or snow and gale force winds are the only things that stop me

Being in Toronto, I am one of about 250,000 all-season cyclists. However, since I ride cruisers with wide flat slicks, I avoid wet weather and heavy wind. My bikes are heavy and slow (but are comfortable and cool) and wind seemly makes them impossible to ride effectively. Snow and ice are not friends with slicks either, so I will generally wait a few days after a snowfall before resuming riding. Cold is not an issue, really: I'm Canadian, after all. :D

Reactions: BikeBikeBikeBike
jessmcph said:
in the rain so you guys still ride your road bikes or do you switch to something that has more traction?
The first day i was riding a road bike instead of a mountain bike It was raining and i was a little worried, but the road bike handled just as well on normal tires. Good thing since I live in rainy Oregon

The only Hazard of rain for me is large puddles of standing water. When the cars hit me with that : 1) I'm COVERED in(and probbaby swallowed some!) nasty water with God-knows what bacteria in it 2) I can't see so i have to just point the bike straight and pray!
Next year I'm getting a Kona Stinky and studded tires for snow and ice - now that I'm a bike geek that strikes my sick little mind as a lot of fun ! ;)

I ride when it is cold, but I don't when it is cold and windy. I have a track record of getting sick almost every time I try to exercise when it is cold and windy out. Being a teacher does not help since I am exposed to almost everything under the sun.

Sometimes I'll ride in the cold. It's good for you. It can be difficult if it begins to rain or the ground is wet. I like the way it feels when it is hot outside but it is challenging when it is cold. You can get use to it.

Cold, as in, in cold weather, right? Yes, I do ride my bike when it's cold too, even when there's snow on the ground.

I think I can deal with the rain regardless of the temperature. For me it is a part of the experience to ride in different types of weather. Just always come prepared for it with your protective gears. I do not do that often you see just for the fun and experience of it.

I don't ride when it's icy underwheel, or when it's too windy (for me) to be considered safe.

I do avoid cycling in the cold. Only when am forced to pick something and my car has got issues. I have problems with my chest and I do avoid triggers at whatever cost. I prefer training while indoors, on cold seasons.

Honestly, I don't. Being from Canada, there's six months a year I don't go outside unless I have to. Cold sucks, and so does black ice. I generally just stick with bodyweight cardio exercises during the winter months.

Reactions: BikeBikeBikeBike
I ride in the cold and rain and I don't really mind it, it does not really phase me. What I hate though is the wind. I HATE IT when you're riding into the wind. That sucks big time.

Other than that I'm perfectly fine with riding in cold weather.

Reactions: elvisish
Yes! To work and for pleasure :D Not if its snowing though cos it can be dangerous, although I have done it at times, but if its just really cold then it layer on the gloves and hats and hope for the best!

How cold are we talking about here? In the winters where I live (SK, Canada) the weather gets crazy cold, we're talking -40 degrees or colder on some days. There's no way I'm going out cycling then, especially when the roads are covered in snow and usually storming. Its not only dangerous for biking in general, its dangerous for health. Not to mention how hard it is to bike while wearing 3-4 layers of warm clothing so that you don't freeze up!

If we're talking more about the autumn sort of cold, where it is chilly but bearable to be outside during, then yeah, I'd go out on those days. :) But anything below 0 degrees is a no-no for me.

elvisish said:
Yes! To work and for pleasure :D Not if its snowing though cos it can be dangerous, although I have done it at times, but if its just really cold then it layer on the gloves and hats and hope for the best!
I probably shouldn't have, but one particularly bad winter where we had lots of snow I took my bike out in it and rode several miles out of town on slippery icy roads. The intention was to get to a rather steep hill that was part of a golfing range and ride down it. I got there, got to the top and tried to cycle down but there was just too much snow that it was not the experience I was hoping for. On the phone I had at the time I took a picture from the top of the hill but sadly it has been lost, along with the phone. Thinking back it was pretty dangerous to ride out so far in the sticks in such conditions but as a teen I didn't recognise the risks.