Do you ride on patched tubes?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Bolo Grubb, Jul 16, 2004.

1. rek

rek New Member

I usually use a tube until it has about 4 or 5 patches (I don't keep a log book or anything though ;) ), there's a hole near the stem, or one close to another hole. I do keep a spare tube with me at all times, but I like to keep that aside in case I have a mega huge puncture from hell, that no patch is ever going to fix.

I keep some Park glueless patches with me on the bike, they take up far less space in the saddle-bag, are quicker to use, and I haven't had any trouble with them at all. I sand the area around the hole and put them on by pressing firmly on their whole area for about 5-10 seconds, to make sure they're on right.

You need to find the hole in the tube anyway to check the corresponding area in the tyre carcass (there might be a wire or shard of glass stuck in there that's going to puncture the next tube you put in).. what's another 15-20 seconds to put a glueless patch on.

If I'm not 100% confident in my patching job I'll either re-do the patch or replace the whole tube when I've finished my ride. As for the gluey kind, I keep a set of those patches at home as they do have a more definite hold on the tube than the glueless ones.

I don't notice any difference in pressure leakage etc. from patched tubes -- sometimes I've flatted on a tube and only realised how many patches were on it when I pulled it out from the tyre!

What does "vulcanising" mean, anyway? I figure it means that it's "the weird glue you need to dry BEFORE you use it" or something :p

2. 2ndcityrider

2ndcityrider New Member

I just dont feel safe going downhill at speed with a patch, i know the chances of it failing are small but it just bugs me. I also served in the army with a guy who owns a shop and gives me top tubes for a buck so i take advantage of that.

3. jp111

jp111 New Member

I never use patched tubes on the front

4. bennyball

bennyball New Member

As a rule i normally only allow 2 patches but id rather ride on a good tube with 4 good repairs than a poor quality tube with none.:rolleyes:

5. tonepad

tonepad New Member

Yeah I ride on patches. Lately though, in the heat of late Socal Summer, the glueless 'quickie' patches have started to give out, by coming unstuck. So I'm on fresh tubes now, and I think I'm going back to glued patches for more permanent fixes. The Glueless are great for on the road repairs, but as I've said above they really aren't permanent. I'm also stocked up on sale tubes...Supergo and Performance have had 'em for $2.50-$3 a tube...med. stems.

6. ATM

ATM New Member

How long can you keep a new tube before using it? Are there any problems with them becoming brittle or does that take decades?

7. drewski

drewski New Member

i recently found some boxed tubes in the closet that are over 12 years old. they look and stretch fine and i have been using them with no problems.

these were in a cool, dark, dry location, fwiw. not sure about the absolute time before butyl will fall apart, but probably storage conditions will take a part in that.

8. bcwildthing

bcwildthing New Member

Hey I used to patch my tubes and still do when I'm broke. The patch kits cost too, though, and I've figured out that buying $2 tubes makes it just about worth it for me to replace the tube. That being said, I have had 5 flats in one day when I was using those long stem $5 tubes and wish I'd patched more unstead of unpacking a new one each time. By the way the tally went like this:

2 punctures from a spoke due to improper replacement of the rim rubber
    1 blowout of a pin
    1 miscellaneous glass cut
    1 mystery flat

Just had a flat this morning and the upside is I had it done in 8 minutes after all that practice, which included 3 minutes of fumbling with the back wheel onto the dropouts on my new bike.

9. li0scc0

li0scc0 New Member

Are these the glueless patches? I have not found those to work over about 80-100 PSI. The patches using glue work fine at 150 psi.

10. OCRoadie

OCRoadie New Member

I know this sounds lame, but tubes are so cheap that I've never used the patch. Although, I do carry one in case I go through the 1 or 2 tubes that I always carry. Maybe I don't trust myself in applying the patch correctly to take the chance in using them.

11. domaindomain

domaindomain New Member

Only once

Second punture and its destined for the bin or, at best, for use on the turbo trainer !

12. Alpha

Alpha New Member

Big_h If the patch is put on properly it will perform the same as a new tube.
    You also state you should not be stingy. With that being said, why would you want to go down a hill very fast on a tandem bike. I'm not sure I would trust the person with me to go fast down a hill......ESPECIALLY IF I'M NOT THE DRIVER!

13. mitosis

mitosis New Member

On my ride I take a spare tube and patches. One flat replace the tube. After that (never had to so far) put on a patch. Repair the puncture after the ride.

An alternative is to take no spares, just a phone.

I think fushman is just trying to cover up an inability to change a flat and repair a tube. We all should feel sorry for him. :D

14. Powerful Pete

Powerful Pete New Member

Yes, currently riding both tubes with at least a patch. I am cheap. :rolleyes:

15. mitosis

mitosis New Member

I have spent hundreds of hours on my trainer and never had a puncture. I only ride on smooth surfaces tho'. ;)

16. Cheesy

Cheesy New Member

I patch until there is more patch than tube, or until I get a hole that is too big for a standard patch. I sometimes get numbers of patches into the teens, and have patched a 1.5cm tear with a patch that had just over 1mm to spare each end. That lasted until I changed tyres a month later, and I decided not to take my chances any further!!

17. fish156

fish156 New Member

Once I learned how to do a good patch job I have never had one fail. I don't use glueless. There has not been much discussion here about method but the one thing that has made a huge difference for me is that I always clean the patch area with an alcohol wipe. Getting the talc and oil from your hands off is crucial. You can get a box of 100 in the drug store for less than $2. They come in individual sealed packets and carrying a few of them in your saddle bag is nothing. Do a good job and the patched tubes will be just as reliable as brand new.

18. jerryz

jerryz New Member

I put them in a box and when I have several to do I will patch them all at once. The funny part is that I only patch Mtn. bike tubes any more. Since I started using Specialized Armadillo tires I average less than a flat every 3,000 miles. So Just decided I would replace the tubes when I replaced the tires :) I did get a flat on my road bike in January.

19. ChangMan

ChangMan New Member

I usually keep all the ones that I can patch in a big box. Whenever it rains outside I usually play a little music and patch away. :)

20. hun1948

hun1948 New Member

I have been riding for many years and repairing tubes and I can't remember any of my paches ever failed. I always have 2 spare tubes with me. If I get a flat just change the tube and repaire it when I get some time, then it goes back as spare again. Some of my tubes have 3 or 4 patches on it. Never notice any difference or ever thought that it could be dangerous. Once I positioned the pach slightly off centre and when I tried to remove it I broke the tube so anyone can tell me how the pach can fail if it is glued properly.