Do you ride with a mirror?

frusso10

Nov 24, 2004
How many of you ride with a mirror on your road bike? I am not as fixable as I once was and find it somewhat difficult to twist around far enough to se if the road is clear and safe when crossing over in traffic. I recently purchased a bar end minor that is small and not very noticeable and has solved my problem, now it is second nature and part of my Litespeed. I also like it during road races to see what if anyone is coming up on me. Was just wondering what other roadies thought of mirrors. I might also add that I live in a not so cycle friendly area.
Thank you for your thoughts.

frusso10 said:
How many of you ride with a mirror on your road bike? I am not as fixable as I once was and find it somewhat difficult to twist around far enough to se if the road is clear and safe when crossing over in traffic. I recently purchased a bar end minor that is small and not very noticeable and has solved my problem, now it is second nature and part of my Litespeed. I also like it during road races to see what if anyone is coming up on me. Was just wondering what other roadies thought of mirrors. I might also add that I live in a not so cycle friendly area.
Thank you for your thoughts.

Been commuting by bike now for 9 years. REcently buzzed by a learner driver so bought a mirror. Don't know why I did not do it years ago. Fantastic job altogether. Go for it

Yep, use them all the time. Saved me from being tortilla'd on last Saturday's training ride when pickup decided that weaving out of his lane onto the shoulder was an okay way to drive, whether I was there or not. I could see him coming and had plenty of time to bail.

Yes, I use a Cyclemate mirror that mounts to the side of the helmet. After riding many years without one, I now think using a mirror is a great safety feature for all road riders. Since cars, motocycles and even F1 cars have mirrors, don't understand why they've been slow to catch on with cyclists.

They are especially handy when riding in a pack, where taking your eyes off the road or the guy in front of you for even a half second can be risky.

I don't like mirrors, but I always use them. I prefer a handlebar mounted type (when I can), but on my beater I use a little mirror that hangs on the rim of my glasses. Those are harder to use and take a bit of getting used to.

It's all about survival for me. I ride in a lot of heavy traffic and every bit of information about your environment makes it just a tiny bit safer. Sometimes they are of more use on back roads where people just drive stupid speeds and you can see them coming long before you hear them. Along with the helmet and the mirrors, I wear a lot of screaming yellow (thank you, P.I. !) and blaze orange. I've had a lot of positive comments at stop lights about being visible. Of course, there will always be some kid yelling "hey, your gay", but who cares.

Yes I use a mirror on all my bikes now, wouldn't be without it. I would say its more valuable than a helmet. One of the big problems it resolves is being able to be aware of traffic approaching from behind when wind noise makes it impossible to hear.

I am also a firm believer in the usefullness of a mirror. I use the type that can clip onto glasses or be mounted on the side of a helmet. I changed from glasses-mount to helmet mount and actually prefer it on the helmet now. It does take time to get to learn how to use it because the mind has to learn to focus in the distance while looking into it when it is so close to the eye. But it gives a good field of view and slight head movements allows me to scan what's behind me.

been wonderi ng whether to get one that works- my son tried some cheep mirrors which did not have much of filed of vision, but you have me convincd to get one for safety esp as I am not a flexible as some of the younger riders in turning to have a look Cheers