do you say hello or are you too-cool-for-school?

flyingdutch

New Member
Feb 8, 2004
5,700
Get real bored with people who cant muster up an acknowledgement on the road/path, whatever.

Fair nuff if your goin hard n all but always amazes me the twats who out in the middle of nowhere will pretednthey havent seen you.
Is it really that lacking of enjoyment???

flyingdutch wrote:
> Get real bored with people who cant muster up an acknowledgement on the
> road/path, whatever.
>
> Fair nuff if your goin hard n all but always amazes me the twats who
> out in the middle of nowhere will pretednthey havent seen you.
> Is it really that lacking of enjoyment???

Oh.. I'm so cool for school that I say hello.. mostly :p

hippy

flyingdutch said:
Get real bored with people who cant muster up an acknowledgement on the road/path, whatever.

Fair nuff if your goin hard n all but always amazes me the twats who out in the middle of nowhere will pretednthey havent seen you.
Is it really that lacking of enjoyment???

You mean more than "The Nod" ??

- Bikesoiler aka 'Noddy'

On Thu, 17 Mar 2005 13:09:41 +1100, flyingdutch
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Get real bored with people who cant muster up an acknowledgement on the
>road/path, whatever.
>
>Fair nuff if your goin hard n all but always amazes me the twats who
>out in the middle of nowhere will pretednthey havent seen you.
>Is it really that lacking of enjoyment???

I shout at people when they ride through red lights and bark at
unleashed dogs, does that count? :)

flyingdutch wrote:
> Get real bored with people who cant muster up an acknowledgement on the
> road/path, whatever.
>
> Fair nuff if your goin hard n all but always amazes me the twats who
> out in the middle of nowhere will pretednthey havent seen you.
> Is it really that lacking of enjoyment???

Aaaaaaaagh not this. It's kind of like the aus.motorcycles equivalent of
all those dumb questions for the aus.bicycle jersey. personally I'm
more inclined to say hello on the Yarra trail if I commute that way, but
on the roads I'm either pedalling hard, concentrating on not getting
killed, or at the end of a day just can't be stuffed being sociable.
Middle of nowhere is different though.

DaveB "The Grinch of the commuting world"

flyingdutch wrote:
> Get real bored with people who cant muster up an acknowledgement on the
> road/path, whatever.
>
> Fair nuff if your goin hard n all but always amazes me the twats who
> out in the middle of nowhere will pretednthey havent seen you.
> Is it really that lacking of enjoyment???

A wave/smile/thumbs up to people I know.. depending on the time window
of recognition and passing them by... and I usually give a nod to other
people who are looking serious...

I fully acknowledge people walking on the wrong side of the path, and
any dogs that get in the way. Maybe not in the most friendly/positive
way. My latest tactic is to come to a screaming halt (MTB only) within
a few feet of the dog, then look at the owner, not saying a word. I
need a camera for the look on their faces. I then stomp off on my way..
enforced interval training..

Going hard = always.. just about to flip my MTB stem for more of that
roadie feel :)

cheers,
GPL

Carl Brewer wrote:

> I shout at people when they ride through red lights and bark
> at unleashed dogs, does that count? :)

I have to admit to mooing at cows, but only when I'm riding alone. Never in a group - I wouldn't want people to think I was nuts.

Interestingly, cows here look up when you moo, those in Europe just totally ignore you.

As for other riders, I generally nod or wave, or say g'day. If I know them, I'll occasionally poke my tongue out at them.

I've noticed I'm more likely to get a return nod from people on similar bikes. When I'm on my race bike or the fixed wheel, commuters ignore me. When I'm on the audax bike, with my seat-bag, commuters nod and roadies ignore me.

I guess it's just a fringe subculture thing.

Regards,

Suzy

suzyj wrote:

> Carl Brewer wrote:
>
> > I shout at people when they ride through red lights and bark
> > at unleashed dogs, does that count? :)

> I have to admit to mooing at cows, but only when I'm riding alone.
> Never in a group - I wouldn't want people to think I was nuts.
>
> Interestingly, cows here look up when you moo, those in Europe just
> totally ignore you.
>
> As for other riders, I generally nod or wave, or say g'day. If I know
> them, I'll occasionally poke my tongue out at them.
>
> I've noticed I'm more likely to get a return nod from people on similar
> bikes. When I'm on my race bike or the fixed wheel, commuters ignore
> me. When I'm on the audax bike, with my seat-bag, commuters nod and
> roadies ignore me.
>
> I guess it's just a fringe subculture thing.
>
> Regards,
>
> Suzy
>
> --
> suzyj

Today I said g'day to everyone, people in cars at lights, commuters
going the same way or opposite direction, runners, walkers, dogs (no
cows, didn't see any near the freeway)... I love it when I get sour
faces in return, because I know my big grin must really **** 'em off!

flyingdutch said:
Get real bored with people who cant muster up an acknowledgement on the road/path, whatever.

Fair nuff if your goin hard n all but always amazes me the twats who out in the middle of nowhere will pretednthey havent seen you.
Is it really that lacking of enjoyment???
if your riding on the path into town, no, otherwise you are saying hello every 5 seconds which may lead to some kind of parroting repetitive syndrome. In the sticks, yeah, ill give you a wave and "how are you doing?". Not really in town though. Too much effort.

Carl Brewer said:
I shout at people when they ride through red lights and bark at
unleashed dogs, does that count? :)

Yeah, me too. I have taken to saying "Please dont run the red lights. you just produced 5 more drivers back ther who hate cyclists"

amazing how much guilt works :rolleyes:

i find whistling at dogs gets their attention better

Carl Brewer said:
You mean more than "The Nod" ??
- Bikesoiler aka 'Noddy'

Aaiiyyyyee. Is nod is gude

F"recovery day"Dutch

Carl Brewer wrote:

> On Thu, 17 Mar 2005 13:09:41 +1100, flyingdutch
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>

> >Get real bored with people who cant muster up an acknowledgement on the
> >road/path, whatever.
> >
> >Fair nuff if your goin hard n all but always amazes me the twats who
> >out in the middle of nowhere will pretednthey havent seen you.
> >Is it really that lacking of enjoyment???

> I shout at people when they ride through red lights and bark at
> unleashed dogs, does that count? :)

Oooh, I ran a red this morning, never done it before. I was only a
really short distance from the light when it turned orange, travelling
at about 40 km/h (yeah, flat ground, but not long after a downhill). So
I sped up, only had about 50 m to cover, and next thing it's red and I'm
only just entering the intersection. WTF? Some crazy megafast light
change was going on there! Never had that before. I felt like such an
idiot but no one was there to see. Couldn't believe it - the orange
light must've only been under 2 seconds!

suzyj said:
Carl Brewer wrote:

> I shout at people when they ride through red lights and bark
> at unleashed dogs, does that count? :)

I have to admit to mooing at cows, but only when I'm riding alone. Never in a group - I wouldn't want people to think I was nuts.

Interestingly, cows here look up when you moo, those in Europe just totally ignore you.

As for other riders, I generally nod or wave, or say g'day. If I know them, I'll occasionally poke my tongue out at them.

I've noticed I'm more likely to get a return nod from people on similar bikes. When I'm on my race bike or the fixed wheel, commuters ignore me. When I'm on the audax bike, with my seat-bag, commuters nod and roadies ignore me.

I guess it's just a fringe subculture thing.

Regards,

Suzy
oh thats weird... so its not just me, I moo at cows when cycling in the country as well and its great how they look up, but never stop chewing...... like they are trying to figure out "how come that cow is outside of the fence"

suzyj wrote:
> I have to admit to mooing at cows, but only when I'm riding alone.
> Never in a group - I wouldn't want people to think I was nuts.

ok, while we are on the animal noises.. I once 'baaaaaa'ed very loudly
at a sheep while riding through Collingwood Childrens Farm (I think
thats what its called).. and just as I did, I noticed a group of about
30 people sitting in the same paddock who all looked around at me and
start laughing...

cheers,
GPLamb

MikeyOz wrote:

> suzyj Wrote:
> > Carl Brewer wrote:
> >
> > > I shout at people when they ride through red lights and bark
> > > at unleashed dogs, does that count? :)

> > I have to admit to mooing at cows, but only when I'm riding alone.
> > Never in a group - I wouldn't want people to think I was nuts.
> >
> > Interestingly, cows here look up when you moo, those in Europe just
> > totally ignore you.
> >
> > As for other riders, I generally nod or wave, or say g'day. If I know
> > them, I'll occasionally poke my tongue out at them.
> >
> > I've noticed I'm more likely to get a return nod from people on similar
> > bikes. When I'm on my race bike or the fixed wheel, commuters ignore
> > me. When I'm on the audax bike, with my seat-bag, commuters nod and
> > roadies ignore me.
> >
> > I guess it's just a fringe subculture thing.
> >
> > Regards,
> >
> > Suzy

> oh thats weird... so its not just me, I moo at cows when cycling in
> the country as well and its great how they look up, but never stop
> chewing...... like they are trying to figure out "how come that cow is
> outside of the fence"
>
> --
> MikeyOz
>
> Live in Melbourne, soon to be married, 33, 6', 76 kgs, enjoy being
> active, whenever possible in any form.

Or perhaps they are trying to figure out "what is wrong with that dude,
why is he/she making those funny noises..."

MikeyOz wrote:
> oh thats weird... so its not just me, I moo at cows when cycling in
> the country as well and its great how they look up, but never stop
> chewing...... like they are trying to figure out "how come that cow is
> outside of the fence"

.... and why is that skinny cow riding a bike?!

cheers,
GPL

> MikeyOz wrote:
>Live in Melbourne, soon to be married, 33, 6', 76 kgs, enjoy being
>active, whenever possible in any form.

"Soon to be married".. but your .sig sounds like an advert.. for you! :D

hippy

DaveB wrote:
> flyingdutch wrote:
>
>> Get real bored with people who cant muster up an acknowledgement on the
>> road/path, whatever.
>>
>> Fair nuff if your goin hard n all but always amazes me the twats who
>> out in the middle of nowhere will pretednthey havent seen you.
>> Is it really that lacking of enjoyment???
>>

> Aaaaaaaagh not this. It's kind of like the aus.motorcycles equivalent of
> all those dumb questions for the aus.bicycle jersey. personally I'm
> more inclined to say hello on the Yarra trail if I commute that way, but
> on the roads I'm either pedalling hard, concentrating on not getting
> killed, or at the end of a day just can't be stuffed being sociable.
> Middle of nowhere is different though.
>
> DaveB "The Grinch of the commuting world"

Me too pretty much. Sometimes I get a kick out of sayign a big hello to
people who obviously don't want to interact.

Most of the time I can't be bothered, because where I live there are
bikes everywhere and I can't be bothered being friendly to all of them.

If I see FD on the trail I like to sneak up behind him and freak him out :)

--
Nick

hippy said:
> MikeyOz wrote:
>Live in Melbourne, soon to be married, 33, 6', 76 kgs, enjoy being
>active, whenever possible in any form.

"Soon to be married".. but your .sig sounds like an advert.. for you! :D

hippy
thanks for pointing that out..... I had no idea it was there, must have done it when I joined up and forgotten all about it, lucky my wife did not see it, she many have gotten the wrong idea... :)

NoZX6R wrote:

> Me too pretty much. Sometimes I get a kick out of sayign a big hello
> to people who obviously don't want to interact.

So you're not saying hello to be nice? Why bother then?

Theo