do you say hello or are you too-cool-for-school?

Discussion in 'Australia and New Zealand' started by flyingdutch, Mar 16, 2005.

  1. flyingdutch

    flyingdutch New Member

    Joined:
    Feb 8, 2004
    Messages:
    5,700
    must be a green bike thing :D

  2. TimC

    TimC Guest

    On Thu, 17 Mar 2005 at 03:22 GMT, suzyj (aka Bruce)

    > Carl Brewer wrote:
    >
    >> I shout at people when they ride through red lights and bark
    >> at unleashed dogs, does that count? :)

    > I have to admit to mooing at cows, but only when I'm riding alone.
    > Never in a group - I wouldn't want people to think I was nuts.

    Eh? Doesn't stop me!

    > Interestingly, cows here look up when you moo, those in Europe just
    > totally ignore you.

    Do they look away awkwardly and pretend they didn't see you?

    [transporting bed]... across several suburbs and a large salt water
    harbour. Well, they thoughtfully bridged the harbour in the 1930s, so
    the problem was actually transporting it across several suburbs and a
    long single span bridge. -- Hipatia

  3. TimC

    TimC Guest

    On Thu, 17 Mar 2005 at 03:21 GMT, GPLama (aka Bruce)
    > I fully acknowledge people walking on the wrong side of the path, and
    > any dogs that get in the way. Maybe not in the most friendly/positive
    > way. My latest tactic is to come to a screaming halt (MTB only) within
    > a few feet of the dog, then look at the owner, not saying a word. I
    > need a camera for the look on their faces. I then stomp off on my way..
    > enforced interval training..

    Funny - we were just talking in the other froup about dogs and bikes.
    One person mentioned that they just go through dogs - I heartily
    endorse this product and/or service, however, they can do serious
    damage to a bike and rider if you don't hit em right.

    Not that I have tried.

    -- Ti "I hate dogs, especially the 10 dogs that bark all night out of
    the 16 houses in my immediate vicinity" mC.

    To define recursion, we must first define recursion.

  4. Graeme

    Graeme Guest

    suzyj <[email protected]> wrote in
    news:[email protected]:

    > Interestingly, cows here look up when you moo, those in Europe just
    > totally ignore you.

    It's the accent, they're probably thinking "I'm not talking to that
    Australian cow" (oooh, run away...)

    I found sheep are even more fussy in the UK, in the Scottish Borders they
    respond, but around Edinburgh they just ignore me when I go "baa". But the
    again maybe that's just the famous Edinburgh reticence crossing the species
    boundary.

    Graeme

  5. craigster_jd

    craigster_jd New Member

    Joined:
    Jun 23, 2004
    You could really fsck with their heads by riding one of these:

    http://projectone.trekbikes.com/intl/popup/images/spottedcow_lg.jpg

    Reminds me of The Day Today's report on the TdF:
    '...and from up here in the helicopter, the peloton looks strangely like cattle,
    but cattle on bikes...'

    Cheers,
    Craigster.

  6. >>>>> "Carl" == Carl Brewer <[email protected]> writes:

    Carl> I shout at people when they ride through red lights and bark
    Carl> at unleashed dogs, does that count? :)

    I don't normally, however was feeling extra cranky yesterday and did.
    Caused the occupants of the white van at the lights to jump; when they
    realized I was yelling at a law breaking cyclist they were all smiles
    and thumbs up.
    --
    Cheers
    Euan

  7. >>>>> "Tamyka" == Tamyka Bell <[email protected]> writes:

    Tamyka> Oooh, I ran a red this morning, never done it before. I was
    Tamyka> only a really short distance from the light when it turned
    Tamyka> orange,

    Orange means stop if safe to do so. Not "let's see if I can make it
    before it turns red."
    --
    Cheers
    Euan

  8. NoZX6R

    NoZX6R Guest

    Theo Bekkers wrote:
    > NoZX6R wrote:
    >

    >>Me too pretty much. Sometimes I get a kick out of sayign a big hello
    >>to people who obviously don't want to interact.

    > So you're not saying hello to be nice? Why bother then?
    >
    > Theo

    Well that really only happens in the middle of nowhere, like out in the
    hills or MTBing, where it seems ridiculous not to acknowledge another
    human being.

    --
    Nick

  9. Blah

    Blah Guest

    "Carl Brewer" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > I shout at people when they ride through red lights and bark at
    > unleashed dogs, does that count? :)

    I tend to bark at dogs whether leashed or unleashed - it's only polite,
    after all...

  10. DJ

    DJ Guest

    > suzyj wrote>

    > Interestingly, cows here look up when you moo, those in Europe just
    > totally ignore you.
    >

    > Suzy
    >
    > Suzi...next time try to Moo them with a french accent..you know how
    > stubborn the french get!!

    DJ
    > --
    > suzyj

  11. DJ

    DJ Guest

    "GPLama" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > suzyj wrote:
    > > I have to admit to mooing at cows, but only when I'm riding alone.
    >> Never in a group - I wouldn't want people to think I was nuts.
    >>

    > ok, while we are on the animal noises.. I once 'baaaaaa'ed very loudly at
    > a sheep while riding through Collingwood Childrens Farm (I think thats
    > what its called).. and just as I did, I noticed a group of about 30 people
    > sitting in the same paddock who all looked around at me and start
    > laughing...
    >
    > I make that noise when i see a big group of Japanese Tourists getting
    > ushered into a duty free shop hahaha

    > cheers,
    > GPLamb

  12. casurina99

    casurina99 New Member

    Joined:
    Sep 14, 2004
    Oh Oh! another moo-er!! (I thought I was the only one..)

    Yup one of my favorite touring pastimes... My partner and I have a little game of cow moo response, moo at herd of cows- head lift is one point, scamper off is minus 1, and return moo is 10 points. A cracker of a game. Also makes you feel fantastic!

    The horse Neh is a little harder to project but can be quite effective..

    I also enjoy barking at dogs on leashes whilst ignoring the rude owners. Makes for quite a sight on their faces.

    (who rode on dodgy knees for the first time in 10 weeks this am... and all seems well so far :)

  13. Tamyka Bell

    Tamyka Bell Guest

    [email protected] wrote:

    > Tamyka> Oooh, I ran a red this morning, never done it before. I was
    > Tamyka> only a really short distance from the light when it turned
    > Tamyka> orange,
    >
    > Orange means stop if safe to do so. Not "let's see if I can make it
    > before it turns red."
    > --
    > Cheers
    > Euan

    Given that I'm a qualified driver, I'm well aware of that, but thanks
    for the tip.

    Given I had just come off a hill, and that as a girl with really small
    hands it's a struggle to brake really hard, it was definitely safer to
    keep going. However at most sets of lights I would've had plenty of time
    to get through. This one apparently not.

  14. Tamyka Bell

    Tamyka Bell Guest

    casurina99 wrote:

    > suzyj Wrote:
    > > I have to admit to mooing at cows, but only when I'm riding alone. Never
    > > in a group - I wouldn't want people to think I was nuts.
    > >
    > > Interestingly, cows here look up when you moo, those in Europe just
    > > totally ignore you.
    > >
    > > Suzy

    > Oh Oh! another moo-er!! (I thought I was the only one..)
    >
    > Yup one of my favorite touring pastimes... My partner and I have a
    > little game of cow moo response, moo at herd of cows- head lift is one
    > point, scamper off is minus 1, and return moo is 10 points. A cracker
    > of a game. Also makes you feel fantastic!
    >
    > The horse Neh is a little harder to project but can be quite
    > effective..
    >
    > I also enjoy barking at dogs on leashes whilst ignoring the rude
    > owners. Makes for quite a sight on their faces.

    > (who rode on dodgy knees for the first time in 10 weeks this am... and
    > all seems well so far :)
    >
    > --
    > casurina99

    oi, I'm T!

    :p

  15. On 2005-03-17, Tamyka Bell <[email protected]> wrote:
    > casurina99 wrote:
    >> (who rode on dodgy knees for the first time in 10 weeks this am... and
    >> all seems well so far :)
    >>
    >> --
    >> casurina99

    > oi, I'm T!
    >
    >:p

    So that would make casurina99 T2?

  16. casurina99

    casurina99 New Member

    Joined:
    Sep 14, 2004

  17. Tamyka Bell

    Tamyka Bell Guest

    casurina99 wrote:

    > Stuart Lamble Wrote:

    > > and

    > > > oi, I'm T!
    > > >
    > > >:p

    > > So that would make casurina99 T2?
    > >
    > > I will not boy down to an earlier T - however I supect that im a little
    > > older than Tamyka, and am really T1.
    > >
    > > I would however settle for T(2) as in squared.. :)

    > casurina99

    It's not an age thing, it's a status thing ;-)

    (Actually, it might stand for troublemaker)

  18. casurina99

    casurina99 New Member

    Joined:
    Sep 14, 2004
    'Cooor I bin put back in me place!! Crikey!

    Isnt there another T here somewhere too??
    I seem to remember one.. almost as confusing as the MOz and Moz conundrum

  19. Tamyka Bell

    Tamyka Bell Guest

    casurina99 wrote:

    > Tamyka Bell Wrote:
    > > casurina99 wrote:

    > > am...

    > > little

    > > > --
    > > > casurina99

    > > It's not an age thing, it's a status thing ;-)
    > >
    > > (Actually, it might stand for troublemaker)

    > 'Cooor I bin put back in me place!! Crikey!
    >
    > Isnt there another T here somewhere too??
    > I seem to remember one.. almost as confusing as the MOz and Moz
    > conundrum

    > casurina99

    Yeah, my solution is simple:

  20. >>>>> "Tamyka" == Tamyka Bell <[email protected]> writes:

    Tamyka> Given that I'm a qualified driver, I'm well aware of that,
    Tamyka> but thanks for the tip.

    After learning that something as basic as an emergency stop is not part
    of the driving test in Australia, I have little faith in the quality of
    driver education here.

    Tamyka> Given I had just come off a hill, and that as a girl with
    Tamyka> really small hands it's a struggle to brake really hard, it
    Tamyka> was definitely safer to keep going. However at most sets of
    Tamyka> lights I would've had plenty of time to get through. This
    Tamyka> one apparently not.

    Then you were traveling too fast for the prevailing road conditions. If
    you hadn't been traveling too fast you wouldn't have run the red. You
    can make as many excuses as you like, the fact is you erred.
    --
    Cheers
    Euan